Proving car has alarm/immobiliser for insurer?? how to do it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dmo

Car
SL500
Hi All

I've been asked by my insurer to prove that the SL500 we own has a factory fitted alarm / immobiliser, as stated on the insurance documents.

What's the best way to prove this to them? I don't have the original factory-spec paperwork handy as it's a used car that we bought. In this day and age, I'd say it's appropriate to send them a picture of the key, the alarm being turned on, and the light on the dash flashing... but its not exactly convincing or official! Maybe a video of the alarm going off? :D

Would be great if you could share how you've gone about proving this to the insurance company to cover yourselves for insurance against theft.

Cheers!

Oh, I don't know...how about asking them what they'd like?

The immobiliser is a built in function of the EIS and engine ECU, so ergo it has it.

We had this issue with Direct Line and an old imported Polo 16v. They accepted a letter from the local dealer confirming standard fit immobiliser etc. Didnt even charge for the letter.

Its factory fitted and an MB approved so they dont need proof it will be on all insurers data bases

I had this issue once with Direct Line and a BMW M3 Evo.

I got the supplying dealer to write me a letter 'to whom it may concern' that it was fitted with an alarm/immobiliser and what it was.

I asked for a few copies of it and sent one on and got back a letter confirming theft cover thereafter.

This was in 2000 so I guess the same would still be acceptable if they don't have the information that it has one...

I had a similar, nonsensical, request from a prospective insurer for my wife's then 10-month old MINI Cooper S. After pointing out that it was impossible to purchase the vehicle without a factory fitted alarm/immobiliser and getting nowhere, I took my business elsewhere. I suggest you do the same.

My missus' Focus has an aftermarket alarm on it in addition to factory. The insurance company asked the same question as the OP's and I couldn't find the handbook or the cert for it. We took details for a company who would inspect it and write a letter to confirm the type of alarm and the conformity thereof but the cost was fractionally more than the reduction in premium the insurance company were offering in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom