PRS - PPL Scam Anyone know for sure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ioweddie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
We have the radio on at work, small company 10 people, occasional visitor/customer may come in. We have had to buy both of these licences.
My sister in law owns a high street shop, one woman business, obviously shoppers/public entering the shop can hear the radio which is in the stock room but audible in the shop. She pays about £45 for a PRS licence, now PPL have phoned in a very rude if she dose not purchase PPL within 28 days they will take her to court and add interest. Is this fair and is it legal?
Thanks Eddie

No, it's not fair. Yes it is legal.

You don't need it for broadcast TV - it might well be cheaper to get a TV licence, a cheap TV and set it to one of the music stations…………….

Alternatively, retune the radio to a talk station, then you can cancel the PRS as well.

Last edited:
We had this phone call too, very aggressive they were too. We have simply stopped listening to the radio... Its a shame as it livened the place up..

We have simply stopped listening to the radio... Its a shame as it livened the place up..
This is what many organisations do.

While I understand (and support) the principle that those who create the music deserve remuneration, when it comes to playing a radio in a workplace the broadcaster has already paid - handsomely - for the right to broadcast the material, so why does anyone have to pay again, just because it's not in a domestic setting?

Where I work there normally used to be a radio playing in the workshop and the warehouse but then PRS & PPL stepped in demanding money. We don't have members of the public in our facility, only employees. The ludicrous part is that if we gave each employee their own personal radio with earbuds, there would be no need to have PRS & PPL licences, yet if more than one employee can hear a radio with their naked ears, licences are required. What a crock...

Do you have to pay if you stream say...a us radio station over the internet?

How about a spotify playlist, can you play that in the workplace without a requirement to pay extra?

Sp!ke said:
Do you have to pay if you stream say...a us radio station over the internet? How about a spotify playlist, can you play that in the workplace without a requirement to pay extra?
AFAIK, yes. If you play recorded music that is audible in a non-domestic setting, you need both PRS and PPL licences.

I appreciate this is slightly different, In my old role at work I use to become involved in the maintenance of Plymouth Bus Station & the other day I received a demand for just over £850 + vat for the playing of a radio in a bus station. Saving the council money we sold the right to play to a local radio station and have tuned the radio into that radio station.

Glad I wasn't paying that bill LOL

Even all dental practices who play the radio on reception or in surgery have to have these licences for the reasons mentioned.

It's on the list of the many organisations that inspect us - I should know I used to inspect myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom