Prudent checks before parting with cash.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dichtung

Car
W203 2.2Cdi
After warning her about Renault electrics and anything else I could think about, SWMBO seems deternined to buy a Megane tin top thingy.:doh:

Although the seller is not exactly a back street garage, but because we haven`t bought a car for a few years, I need some up to date tips to avoid some nasty surprises; like -

Cat C/D, stolen?
Mileage discrepancies
Finance owing
MOT cert/ V5 genuine
Car not the seller`s
Anything else

Any suggestions welcome.

Make sure you've got full roadside recovery.

(my OH has a Renault.....)

Garages often do their own HPi checks when they buy stuff back - ask if they have done one for the vehicle in question and ask to see it if they have! :thumb: If they haven't maybe tell's you something about their operation? :dk: Before we get too critical of Renault remember who played a major part in the design of the new A CLASS ? :eek:

Indeed. Actually, long story, but I'm currently in a new Clio "sport tourer" for a few days which, perceived quality aside, is not a bad little car. The 1.5 diesel is a peach, so quiet and relatively powerful and oh so economic! :D

No, I wouldn't want to use it all the time, but it's been quite nice to run a round in.

Part with cash for French scrap, I think it would be prudent to get a sanity check :D

Just looked at the Megane Coupe for SWMBO as she forced me to, even she admitted compared to the Vauxhall and VW the build quality was sh*te and I suspect the electrics no better :eek:

Cat C/D, stolen?
No problem here. It's a Renault. No one would want to steal it. Also highly unlikely to have been in a crash as everone gives them a wide berth.

Mileage discrepancies
No problem here either, as it is not worth clocking a Renault, as they usually look worse than the actual mileage.

Finance owing
Be careful. Someones probably spent a fortune on repairs, and couldn't afford to keep up the repayments. Prolly been repossessed

MOT cert/ V5 genuine
MOT probably faked. V5 probably has all wrong addresses so that the owners don't have to own up to ever having owned it

Car not the seller`s
CAREFUL!! They're selling it so it probably isn't theirs. If it was, they would be giving it away.

Anything else
Not really. I hope Mrs Dictung has a wonderful time in her Renault. I'm sure that she will meed lots of interesting new friends (AA/RAC/Garage people etc)

Hope I haven't put you off. :)

Check the results of the HPI check they should have done.

But really your time is better spend convincing SWMBO that there is absolutely no choice worse than what she's making - see Ted's post above.
They're unreliable and need almost daily repairs, make sure you have a cheap local garage and good breakdown cover - in fact a typical garage or breakdown service only needs one customer who has a French car to stay in business. They aren't fun to work on either.
They're built out of less than tissue paper, so in the event of a crash, especially against a car, it's goodbye SWMBO, hello funeral.
Convince her that almost anything else will be more pleasant to drive, and even if it costs twice as much will have paid for itself within a month due to not needing constant, expensive repairs and that she's less likely to die in a crash.

If by 'tin top' you mean the coupe-cabrio, there are some extra things to check:

- Does the roof mechanism work smoothly?

- Check inside the boot, are there any signs of leaking (e.g. smelly/wet carpet, signs of water damage or corrosion on the boot floor). The Renault CC is actually one of the best of the bunch for leaking, but some cars of this ilk, particularly the Focus CC and VW Eos are notorious for having leaks that don't go away.

- The CC has a goo kit instead of a spare wheel, check it is still there

In general, Renaults are fine when new other than the odd rattle, but they do start to get nasty electrical gremlins from year 3 onwards.

also you could ring up a renault dealer and tell the service dept the reg no to see what work and service has been done

Hello Guys,

Thanks for the interest and replies. LOLs.

They have been duly passed on and at least she knows that I`m not just MB blinkered.

mgarvey, thanks for the sparewheel and leaking tips. Yes a folding `tin top` but I`ve had my wrist slapped; a `glass roofed cabrio` no less.

To be honest I think I`m on a loser here.

I`ll keep you lot posted.;)

Update,

Despite our best efforts Guys, guess what,

She`s gone and bought it. :dk:

More soon, no doubt.

Thanks Ted,

As a matter of interest;

HPI, all clear.
Mileage, correct.
Everything else checks out ok.

BUT:

(quote) " One of the windows doesn`t work"