PS2 Installation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abbos

Car
W202 + W115
Evening all,

I need some ideas please people. I have a screen and some cool stuff coming soon and I'm going to install a PS2 for DVD and gaming usage.

Problem is I don't really want to mount it in the boot and do not want it on show in the car.

I have come up with two places but need to be realistic:

1. Glove box.

Bearing in mind this is not a slim line ps2, is there any space behind the glove box? Can I chop around behind there? This is a little worrying as the airbag is just around there too!

2. Below rear seat bench.

I prefer this location but the question is more about "how".

Is there anyway that I can litterally imbed the unit in the seat? What is below the seat bench? Can I cut into that?

I'm intending on using a wireless controller and it will be hard wired in, so purely just need access to the front cd tray of the ps2. I would like it to be as hidden as possible. So if need I will add some kind of shutter to the front to hide it if I have to.

I have searched the net a little but cannot hardly find any pictures of ps2 installs in w202's that are not boot mounted!

Forgive me if the above sounds a little insane but I am pretty tired and just am trying to get my thoughts written down.

Thanks! :cool:

not to hard,

i was going to do this but opted for a dvd changer instead. I probably will do it at some point.

Under the rear seat is not a good idea as you will have people sitting on the actual unit, also there is no airflow.

best place I can think of is under the front seats.

BUT, the slimline PS2 has a flap for the cd, so you would need to be able to pull it out to swap the discs?

normal cd slides open, so easier to install under the front seat.

as for the glove box, hardly any room in there!

let us know how you get on.

Hi Abbos,

A friend of mine whom I sold my last W202 has already done this.

He had fitted a PS2, hardwired in using an inverter switched with a relay, and wireless controllers as you suggest. 2 extra screens for each rear headrest too (it already had fitted a full Alpine A/V set up, motorised screen up front etc)

The best/easiest place was under the parcel shelf - where the first aid kit would be.

The PS2 is fan cooled, so as long as there is sufficient air available to enter/exit the vents, then you should not have any problems.

The rear parcel shelf is ideal as passengers in the rear can change discs very easily, and any cables/connections to the boot can be very simple.

Also totally hidden as the cover for the first aid kit serves as access.

HTH and good luck. :)

Will

Will, can you possibly get me any pics at all?

Also, I would like to find out how the cd inserting would work as the ps2 has a slide out tray, so how would I access that from in the rear as I don't have a rear armrest.

Other option is to get a slimline ps2 where the lid opens upwards and just stick that in the first aid tray? Pop the first aid tray open and then open the lid for the ps2?

Possible.... ?

abbos, Wills idea would work great with the new slim ps2 as it opens upwards!

Hi Abbos,

Will try and get some pics at some point - but all it would basically show is a PS2 mounted under the first aid kit opening!
He is using a non-slimline model (it was put in long before the slimline ones came out!), and it sits facing the front of the car, so that the disc tray can be accessed when the lid for the first aid kit is opened - simple eh?

Obviously have to remove the plastic 'container' that the first aid kit sits in, but other than that - no problems really.

He has mounted somewhere near the ashtray a remote power on/off for the PS2's switch (when powered up from cold the PS2 is in 'standby' mode).

BTW, I must say (although I am biased!) but an X-box would be a brilliant (and superior) set up. You can get them chipped to run all sorts of stuff (store movies on the HD etc) and you could use it as an MP3 jukebox too (hundreds and hundreds of hours of music!)

Good luck with the project - and if I get a chance to get any photos, I'll try my best. :)

Cheers,

Will

You can get a flip lid for the conventional ps2. this has the advantage of being able to use a boot disc to play backups, but that is for another forum on another day :)

Have been looking at the possibilities of an Xbox but from the feedback and research I have done so far it seems a bit more complicated getting the 12v feed to the xbox without the use of an inverter.

If anyone can shed any light on this, please post a reply!

190Edriver: I know exactly what you are talking about regarding the backups :rolleyes: but I didn't know they did a flip lid. Have you any links?

abbos said:
Have been looking at the possibilities of an Xbox but from the feedback and research I have done so far it seems a bit more complicated getting the 12v feed to the xbox without the use of an inverter.

If anyone can shed any light on this, please post a reply!

190Edriver: I know exactly what you are talking about regarding the backups :rolleyes: but I didn't know they did a flip lid. Have you any links?

IMHO I would just use an inverter. I know you can play around and tap into the 12V side of things, but I think you would still need a DC-DC converter/voltage regulator anyway.

You can buy a cheap inverter capable of running a couple of hundred watts or so for about £30! ;)

Cheers, :)

Will

Hi,

When I installed my PS2 it was easy just to remove the PS2 PSU and stick the cars 12v where the power supply was wired to, if you take the PS2 apart you will see this is easy.

However when I looked to do the same thing with my xbox it was no where near as straight forward and reached the same conclusion, that an inverter would be needed.

Gents,

Good topic, but I am a little new to all this, and not particularly technical.

Can someone either write up a "HOW TO" or explain to me in simple English how to do this? I am about to get a 2002 S-Class which I have discovered doesn't support DVD - see http://www.megacomm.de/foren/viewtopic.php?t=3345&sid=166f0d61de17bd80cd998425d56b62a2.

I have decided that as I have a playstation 2 at home it is the logical choice for the car. The car I am buying has factory fitted TV Tuner, remote COMAND and a rear screen.

Thanks,
Brett

Hi Brett,

If you don't want to take the PS2 apart yourself, try you local car audio shop ask them to remove the PSU and wire in some remote terminals for power and reset switch. Should cost no more than £20.

Or perhaps find someone who chips PS2's (every town has one) and ask them to do it for you.

Good luck

mrfiepro said:
Hi Brett,

If you don't want to take the PS2 apart yourself, try you local car audio shop ask them to remove the PSU and wire in some remote terminals for power and reset switch. Should cost no more than £20.

Or perhaps find someone who chips PS2's (every town has one) and ask them to do it for you.

Good luck

Thanks for the tips - to be honest, I'm not too worried about the PS2 side of things - it is the wiring it into the car that I am a little concerned with. I've bought a slimline PS2 and am looking at getting the 12v DC supply that Big Cat Technologies are talking about. It is the where to place it and how to wire it into the car that is worrying me slightly.

Thanks again for the tips.

you need Craigyb to come along - he's done loads of stuff like - some very impressive stuff too. He'll have some good thoughts and tips.

Craig - where are you?

pammy said:
you need Craigyb to come along - he's done loads of stuff like - some very impressive stuff too. He'll have some good thoughts and tips.

Craig - where are you?

Oh CraigyB, Oh CraigyB, wherefore art thou, CraigyB?

I'm still here lurking, I'm avoiding Sean as I haven't sent him his RVM yet, been too busy.

For PS2's Mrfirepro is your man, I'm the Xbox/car PC expert. But I can help you with auto power up and shutdown stuff etc.

Xbox displaying Xbmc on the screens...

roof.jpg

The guts of the Xbox, this has changed a lot now, I've now got the DVD drive in and replaced the PSU/InverterShutdown controller with an OPUS 150W PSU and Xbox to ATX power lead.

xbox2.jpg

Looking forward to the April meet Pammy, just let me know when.

Craig

Last edited:
craigyb said:
I'm still here lurking, I'm avoiding Sean as I haven't sent him his RVM yet, been too busy.

For PS2's Mrfirepro is your man, I'm the Xbox/car PC expert. But I can help you with auto power up and shutdown stuff etc.

Looking forward to the April meet Pammy, just let me know when.

Craig

Thanks Craig - any light you can shed will be most welcome.

B'y hell Craig - that was scary :D

I'll let you know dates as soon as I can ;)

Spoke to Braybrooks in Hertford today. Very helpful man told me that they usually mount the playstation in the rear armrest but it is a tight fit. They've not (yet) done a slimline version, but thinks it should mean more space to play with (obviously). They run a cable for the power to the lighter in the front and remove the rear seats in order to do the cabling! All in, he reckons six hours and £300 to fit the playstation. Plumbing into the TV is a cinch apparently as it has the connections as standard.

He also said that he has used quite a few of the 12v kits from big cat technologies and they have been straightforward to fit and reliable so far. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any staff available that could do my car before I pick it up on Friday. Pity as it sounds like they would do a good job.

Brett said:
They run a cable for the power to the lighter in the front and remove the rear seats in order to do the cabling!
Powering it off the cigar lighter is a bodge and should be avoided, it's not difficult to power it from the fuse box.
Brett said:
Plumbing into the TV is a cinch apparently as it has the connections as standard.
It will plug into the TV assuming you already have a tuner with inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom