PS3 or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Burger

Car
2007 SL (R230)
To all you knowledgeable gaming people... Is now a sensible time to buy a PS3 or is a PS4 on the horizon?

I love driving/racing games such as Need for Speed and Fast and Furious, and while they've been OK on the Wii, I feel I need more realism and better graphics and it seems PS3 is the way to go. Or, X-Box?

I've heard nothing of a PS4 at all. I'd bu y one now. I've got one, and prefer it over my old xbox 360.

But its the big debate, xbox or ps3.

Know nothing about Xbox, but do have two PS3 (one was free), and both have killed the dvd drive. Work well though.

Have a replacement drive sat waiting for fitting, having arrived today.

The PS3 gets a thumbs up from me, espeically for GT5.
Some games are even 3D now.

My local GAME store had some good bundle deals going.

IMO the PS4 won't be out before the end of next year at the earliest.

The PS3 is still a great piece of kit and they are still adding functionality to it. I've had mine since UK launch day (March 2007) without any problems at all.

As mentioned there are some great deals around now, too.

PS3 it is then. I've played on a friends and was impressed. That eBay deal looks like a good one. Thanks for the advice.

We use ours most (in terms of hours) as a DVD/Bluray player and for catch-up TV (BBC iPlayer etc.). Also for playing video/music/pictures stored on my desktop PC on the TV.

The gaming I do in the evenings (which of course is excellent) is a bonus :D

I also really like the fact that online play is completely free ... great if you're not a diehard online gamer and just want to do it now and again.

AFAIK PS3 had Blu-ray player, which Xbox does not have (though the rumour is the Microsoft are reconsidering their position on this).

XBOX started with an HD-DVD option - the opposition to the Bluray.

When betamax, er I mean HD-DVD fell apart, XBOX had no HD optical device.

I heard that delivery via the Internet meant XBOX wouldn't need one - I think they underestimated broadband in the UK there...

I don't think we'll see the PS4 until at least 2013 or later.

Sony were reportedly still making a fortune out of PS2 up until a couple of years ago - so I think we are a long way off.

Now the PS3 has dropped to a couple of hundred bucks, it is a bargain and it is the only console I would go for...

PS3 is a very good Blu-ray (and upscaling DVD) player. Built in WiFi too - pretty sure this has to be added to the Xbox 360.

Incidentally I got my PS2 when that was first launched in the UK (10 or 11 years ago ... Timesplitters, what a game!!). The kids inherited that when I bought the PS3, and it's still going strong!

PS3 ordered :) Although I feel this is just the beginning and I'll be needing umpteen accessories now.

Get the proper Sony remote if you plan on using your PS3 to watch Blu-ray or DVD movies (it's not expensive):

Sony Blu-Ray Disc Remote Control (PS3): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

There's really not much more you need, a spare/second controller maybe.

When you've used it a bit you might want to back up the hard drive ... just in case. You can use any USB hard disk (or memory stick, if big enough!) to do this.

Incidentally the remote is Bluetooth (like all PS3 devices) - the biggest problem I have with it is convincing my wife she doesn't have to point it at the telly! :D

I am right in thinking I can connect a PS3 through HDMI? I have 1 HDMI socket left so I hope so as I'm using the component for the Wii.

Thanks,

BTB 500 said:
As The_Don says, think you'll need to supply the HDMI lead though (not supplied IIRC).

From memory you get higher resolutions through component (might be tv dependant). Could be worth investigating connection options for the wii if hat is the case as that will not do hd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom