Public Liability Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr E

MB Enthusiast
Car
57 W211 E280 AG
A quick question that I'm sure someone on here will be able to answer....

We've got a family wedding this weekend and the wedding party have hired a venue for the reception. Everything has been hunky-dory up til now, except when the peeps doing the catering went to see the place.

"Ah-ha," said the venue, "can we see the Public Liability insurance please?". Normally wouldn't be a problem if a firm of caterers but, being a Jamaican affair, this is a bunch of friends doing rice 'n' peas, jerk chicken/pork, etc, etc.

Does anyone know if you can get such insurance for the day (or even month) - all the searches and quotes seem to come up with 12 months only....

Ho Hum

Cheers :)

It's a private party though? Not open to the public, so why PLI?

In case someone is poisoned/injured as a result of the caterers. The venue obviously doesn't want to have the risk against their insurance policy as it is outside their control.
I suspect money is changing hands to host the wedding so that makes it a commercial venture as opposed to a private house party.

In case they poison everyone, set fire to the building, someone trips over a fold-up table or throws a pan of hot fat in their face or something. If any of those things happen then the venue will want the caterers to be liable and be able to afford to pay for damages, rather than themselves.

EDIT: additionally, what Dieselman said while I was typing :)

In case someone is poisoned/injured as a result of the caterers. The venue obviously doesn't want to have the risk against their insurance policy as it is outside their control.
I suspect money is changing hands to host the wedding so that makes it a commercial venture as opposed to a private house party.

If professional caterers are being used then they would have their own insurance. If 'mum' is doing the catering it's no different to a house party

In case they poison everyone, set fire to the building, someone trips over a fold-up table or throws a pan of hot fat in their face or something. If any of those things happen then the venue will want the caterers to be liable and be able to afford to pay for damages, rather than themselves.

EDIT: additionally, what Dieselman said while I was typing :)

Well I have catered for two family members' weddings in hired halls and was asked on neither occasion for insurance

So, using Shudes examples of either a kitchen fire destroying the building or hot fat severely burning someone who would the 3rd party have claimed off.?

In the case of a fire maybe the venue would have accepted liability against their own insurance, if their company allowed it, but what about personal injury.
In the case of a house party you would be covered by your own house insurance as that has PL insurance built in.

Accidents do happen.

I guess most 'halls for hire' must just come with PLI included in the rental price

So, using Shudes examples of either a kitchen fire destroying the building or hot fat severely burning someone who would the 3rd party have claimed off.?

In the case of a fire maybe the venue would have accepted liability against their own insurance, if their company allowed it, but what about personal injury.
In the case of a house party you would be covered by your own house insurance as that has PL insurance built in.

Accidents do happen.
I had to provide evidence of public liability insurance during my last contract. When I asked why, I was given the example that someone could trip over my briefcase (not that I ever use one, rucksack would be a better example!) and if they were injured then they could sue me for damages.

I checked with the insurance company and they told me I was already covered for this in addition to the usual indemnity cover (for if I give bad advice or accidently burn all their backup tapes etc...).

EDIT:
I guess most 'halls for hire' must just come with PLI included in the rental price
Or it's just assumed that you have it. They must have pretty forgiving insurers if they are covering for the liability of third parties.

From my experience (from a DJ perspective), if you are hiring a hall then you need to have PLI. But if you haven't got it, the better venues wil have an arrangement whereby you can make a one-off payment for this for the day of hire.

Nope.

Although the hire of the venue includes use of the kitchen, the user of the kitchen must provide PLI in case of damage to the venue or any claim that may fall back to the people cooking the food.

Spoke to the insurers of the place to confirm what was required - this was the response.

The annoying thing is that no mention of this is made in the literature that advertises the place. I guess most use the kitchen and nothing is ever said to the venue owners unless something up-front is asked - or you're using professional bods who should have PLI anyway.

You can understand their point though. The compensation culture is booming. how about coming to an agreement to use their insurers for a fee in which you pay the excess and other associated costs, in case of a claim?

This lot (local to me) will do you a package for £50 plus tax

Would recommend calling them (or any other scheme broker) with specific questions

You won't get much for under £50

http://www.events-insurance.co.uk/services_insurance_premiums.php?service_id=2

There is a £250 excess and some exclusions you might want to read through to see if worthwhile.

Usually, the hall would charge for the PL it provides, add you as the event organiser and already have insured its property - which you will also be charged a little for - check you're not be charged twice.

PS if you are not running this for profit or as a business, your household insurance has worldwide personal liability insurance to cover you and those who live with you - relatives should have the same under their contents policies - give them a call

Last edited:
This lot (local to me) will do you a package for £50 plus tax

Would recommend calling them (or any other scheme broker) with specific questions

You won't get much for under £50

http://www.events-insurance.co.uk/services_insurance_premiums.php?service_id=2

There is a £250 excess and some exclusions you might want to read through to see if worthwhile.

Usually, the hall would charge for the PL it provides, add you as the event organiser and already have insured its property - which you will also be charged a little for - check you're not be charged twice.

PS if you are not running this for profit or as a business, your household insurance has worldwide personal liability insurance to cover you and those who live with you - relatives should have the same under their contents policies - give them a call

Thanks - I've passed the details on.

I'm sorry but talk about PC gone mad, I know accidents happen, so should we have an ambulance waiting or a doctor in the room. I play skittles, if I accidentalyy hit someone with a skittle ball, do I need PLI? Bearing in mind that we do not use the premisses skittle balls, we use our own, as all teams do. I am convinced this is purely a money making exercise for either the owner of the room or the insurance companies. How about instead of no win no fee they adopt the attitude no claim no charge, in my dreams. This was one of the main reasons that schools, scout groups etc stopped doing field visits, no insurance so the children suffer and miss out on education. Glojo I had better borrow your avitar the way I feel about this:D :D

Yep - PC gone mad - you should see the lame ones I see daily trying it on for a bit of money

If they speak to a solicitor before a medic, the business turns it down (and sometimes this works!)

If you do bowling, your direct line / NU / Tesco household contents policy will cover you to anything over £1m. Luckily, people don't seem to realise it and only go after the deep pocketed companies (rant over) - off to kill some people on line now:devil:

Peeps have now organised their required cover. Thanks for the help.

What they omitted to tell me was that they wanted to use there own jerk equipment (read oil drum bbqs...). Hall insurance bods said fine, but we won't cover damage caused by your equipment - insurance value of the venue is in excess of £1m so not covered by most domestic policies, hence need for PLI of sufficient value.

Good when you get half the story.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom