Public Transport - Viable alternative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
I have recently started to use public transport more often. Mainly because of two projects, one in Kent and one in Glasgow, which made road travel something of a chore.

I did quite enjoy this, although I noted that the rail was nearly always more expensive than the air option.

I have a need to go to Weymouth for a couple of hours for work on Friday. Let the train take the strain I thought...

Not b***y likely - £307 for a day return ticket. Booking a specific train back is a bit 'dodgy' as I have to measure a building, so can't be sure how long it will take until I see it.

Using the not so economical Volvo I am guesstimating about £75 in fuel. How is public transport ever supposed to work?

Has anyone else done this sort of calculation - on pure cost can it work out cheaper?

Last edited:
I have a need to go to Weymouth for a couple of hours for work on Friday. Let the train take the strain I thought...

Not bloody likely - £307 for a day return ticket. Booking a specific train back is a bit 'dodgy' as I have to measure a building, so can't be sure how long it will take until I see it.

Using the not so economical Volvo I am guesstimating about £75 in fuel.

I've just come back from Weymouth, as it happens, I fear it might cost you more than £75 to get there and back, and the roads aren't all that, plus the ill tempered locals drive at milk float speed.

576/32 = 18 gallons = 82 litres @ £1.32 = £108.24

Yep Nick, your right. Still a lot less than £307.

If I took the Merc, 576/45 = 13 gallons = 58 litres @ £1.37 = £79.86

mmm - tempting.

Know the roads. Not too bad until Taunton, bit tedious after that...

Train travel only really works if you have either a season ticket or can book the journey six months in advance.

Anything other than that, then there is almost no chance of it working out cheaper. And don't forget to add the potential cost of taxis/buses on to each end of each journey too.

576/32 = 18 gallons = 82 litres @ £1.32 = £108.24

Yep Nick, your right. Still a lot less than £307.

If I took the Merc, 576/45 = 13 gallons = 58 litres @ £1.37 = £79.86

mmm - tempting.

Know the roads. Not too bad until Taunton, bit tedious after that...

Long drive though, can you get who ever it is who wants you to do it to pay for a hotel?

Not on this one a hotel is straight off my bottom line. It's possilbe that I will drop off other half and little one at the in-laws in Bristol, and overnight there on the way back.

Actually now i'm narked. Step-son is in Bristol with his dad for the weekend and it's our turn to pay for the train. Annoying when I am passing on the door, but a few hours too early.

It seems a shame you dont have a nationwide network of people to do 'measuring' for you.

As you say though, train travel is mightily expensive unless you can book in advance during off peak hours.

Public transport is most definitely not the cheap option anymore whether you are taking the bus, tube or train. A sorry state of affairs.

Not on this one a hotel is straight off my bottom line. It's possilbe that I will drop off other half and little one at the in-laws in Bristol, and overnight there on the way back.

Actually now i'm narked. Step-son is in Bristol with his dad for the weekend and it's our turn to pay for the train. Annoying when I am passing on the door, but a few hours too early.

Why not make a weekend of it in Dorset?

It seems a shame you dont have a nationwide network of people to do 'measuring' for you.

Not quite there yet, and not sure that I want to lose my USP that properties are measure and plans prepared by a Chartered Surveyor. It's winning me work...

Why not make a weekend of it in Dorset?

Because if would cost me a fortune:eek: and also as we are away for a week at the end of the month. £ only go so far...

Maybe put yourself in a big box and arrange DHL or TNT for an overnight delivery to Weymouth.

Should be about £40 if you have an account with them.

All you need is a couple of nights in a travel inn and a bit of food, the travel has been paid for already...

I like the theory! - you have not met the missus...

You made me look. Premier Inn want £220 for the room laterooms not showing much availability at all. Soon I'll be doing this job for free....

I like the theory! - you have not met the missus...

You made me look. Premier Inn want £220 for the room laterooms not showing much availability at all. Soon I'll be doing this job for free....

Here you go £80 inc breakfasts:

The Half Moon, Sherborne - Marston's Inns & Guest Houses

Down to Weymouth, you can measure up while your missus and kids are on the beach, then back up to Sherbourne for the night and you can spend Saturday exploring inland Dorset (which is in many ways more interesting than the bits by the sea).

Weekend away on the cheap.

taking the train to Weymouth is taking your life in your hands, they regularly reduce the carriages from 4 to 2 and comparisons to the black hole of calcutta come to mind. Mrs aBecketts took the kids from Westbury to Weymouth £12 return so real value when compared to cross country driving and the wide roads of Dorset but the 5pm departure was reduced to half the usual train length, almost a riot on the platform and also towards the staff.

In fairness to the costs, for the true costs of motoring needs to amortise the capital cost of the car, insurance, repairs etc etc.

But having said all that the car usually still works out cheaper than short notice peak time train use.

David: Is it time for a diesel car?

I disagree. We're only talking about a particular journey, therefore you would not buy a car, tax/test/insure it, and repair it, just for one journey. They are all costs which are covered (and paid for) anyway by already owning the thing.

In fairness to the costs, for the true costs of motoring needs to amortise the capital cost of the car, insurance, repairs etc etc.

But having said all that the car usually still works out cheaper than short notice peak time train use.

David: Is it time for a diesel car?

I hope not. I don't have a problem with a diesel car, apart from the higher price that you pay for the car, and higher fuel cost, which offset the running cost.

If it ever got really silly i'd go back to the Insignia deal. Would cost too much at the moment though.

I disagree. We're only talking about a particular journey, therefore you would not buy a car, tax/test/insure it, and repair it, just for one journey. They are all costs which are covered (and paid for) anyway by already owning the thing.

Wear/tear for example are real costs over and above the more obvious fuel costs.

If train travel was priced in your method it would be very cheap indeed. :)

You should be able to put all your mileage and justfiable expenses against your tax bill anyway...You'd be cheaper flying to Glasgow surely?

Has anyone else done this sort of calculation - on pure cost can it work out cheaper?

We often hire cars as the cost of the car + petrol minus VAT is often less than an equivalent train fare + taxis on journeys of 80 to 200 miles. There are exceptions. Routes like Glasgow-Preston or Glasgow-Newcastle are often cheap by rail - whereas going a bit further south the prices jump (eg. Glasgow-Crewe or Glasgow-Liverpool).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom