Public WiFi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

I am looking for a WiFI package, BT open zone or similar to sign up to. Does anyone have any experiece of these, if so, which one do you use.

So far, I have found out that for £5 per month I can get 500 minutes with BT open zone or I can go on pay as you go which is charged at 20p per minute.

Sounds expensive for what is a very limited service at present.

Worth looking into 3G too, it's coming down in price and the basic package is only £10(admittedly for only 1Gb). But with this you don't have the geographical limitations, depends how much you are going to use it I guess. http://www.broadband-store.net/mobile-broadband/?tracker=888888x .

I have a 3G dongle from work, but I am looking at something that I can use on my Ipod Touch.

Hi

I am looking for a WiFI package, BT open zone or similar to sign up to. Does anyone have any experiece of these, if so, which one do you use.

So far, I have found out that for £5 per month I can get 500 minutes with BT open zone or I can go on pay as you go which is charged at 20p per minute.

I'm looking at a UK 3G vodafone dongle that gives me unlimited use, uk-wide for £20 a month. At circa 7Gig, thats great value for money in my book.

Last edited:
I'm looking at a UK 3G vodafone dongle that give me unlimited use, uk-wide for £20 a month. At circa 7Gig, thats great value for money in my book.

I have the Voda 3G card and it is very good.

I'm looking at a UK 3G vodafone dongle that gives me unlimited use, uk-wide for £20 a month. At circa 7Gig, thats great value for money in my book.
You might find that you quite rarely get 7 gig - depends on signal quality etc. But the HSDPA package is very good and gives a consistent 3-4gig, so definitely worthwhile.

You might find that you quite rarely get 7 gig - depends on signal quality etc. But the HSDPA package is very good and gives a consistent 3-4gig, so definitely worthwhile.
What exactly are you measuring at a "consistent 3-4gig"?

by unlimited -- do you mean for as long as you want to use it? Is there not an upper download limit?

I assume you either mean 7 GB/month download as part of the 'unlimited' use, or 7Mbit/s download rate. I think it's more likely the latter, as RF wireless certainly isn't up to the Gbit/s transfer rate yet, only line-of-sight laser links can manage that, and only when it's not foggy! ;)

What exactly are you measuring at a "consistent 3-4gig"?
Yes, sorry - meant Mb/sec, not gig - picked up the wrong suffix from OP and didn't put brain into gear:eek:

Yes, sorry - meant Mb/sec, not gig - picked up the wrong suffix from OP and didn't put brain into gear:eek:
Thank God for that! I thought I had missed some huge leap forward in wireless technology! ;)

I have been using the Voda 3G USB stick for a ocuple of weeks and I'm very impressed.
Via Vodafone business I am getting 5Gb per month for £15 a month - which I think is very reasonable. I posted the PCS GTG pics using it from the meet itself to show Malcolm it is possible.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom