Puddle of water, C Class 200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BarryWhitt

Car
C-Class 200 Sport Premium
Annoying when the car is leathered off nice and dry and when you get up to speed there is a water fountain raising up the windscreen on the near side passenger side.
It gathers under the left wiper and is about at it's worse 2 inches deep. I'm tempted to drill a drain hole but have no idea where it will empty to?
Any ideas if it's a safe place to drill a drain?

Thanks.DSCN3255 (Medium).JPG DSCN3256 (Medium).JPG

It should drain there. Open the bonnet and make sure that corner isn't full of leaves and crud. Same on the offside.

Yes, looks clean to me! There is also a drain in the centre of the scuttle around the base of the passenger wiper, but your car looks immaculate so I'm sure that's clear too.
You'll have to use less water or park on a hill. ;)

Find the drain hole and rod it. I use a length of springy net curtain holder-upper thing.

The top of the drain may be clear but the pipe could well be blocked.

I would think no reason for the water to pool unless drain is blocked somewhere , would not start drilling ! You might strike oil

The drain hole is clean and clear but in the wrong place! The plastic cable tie didn't clear anything.
Surely when water is in the area it should drain away but the hole is located ''Above'' the settled water level.
The car is on a level surface btw.

IMG_20171011_091931228 (Medium).jpg IMG_20171011_091845414_HDR (Medium).jpg

The drain hole is clean and clear but in the wrong place! The plastic cable tie didn't clear anything.
Surely when water is in the area it should drain away but the hole is located ''Above'' the settled water level.
The car is on a level surface btw.

Just sneaked out of work to have a look at mine, the only dedicated Drain Holes appear to be in front of the Drivers Wiper Drive Shaft, the one you show in the picture with the Tyraps are just gaps in the Metalwork Joints!

Have a look at the Opposite side to see if that Drain is blocked!

Yes I can see the drain holes on the drivers side in the first photo but there are none on the passenger side where the water sits. That's just moulding.
First photo is drivers side with drain holes, but nothing on the passenger side.

IMG_20171011_155414438 (Medium).jpg
img_20171011_160034691_hdr.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's designed to flow the water towards the centre of the scuttle.
Is there a drain hole there?

My C class W203 has a drain hole in each corner and the middle...is MB going backwards in their development again ?. The L/H one on my car was blocked. it drains down a pipe to a place behind the front wheel arch liner.

What is underneath that area?

I thought it was where some fuses and ECU's sat? Be careful drilling holes there.

Yes I can see the drain holes on the drivers side in the first photo but there are none on the passenger side where the water sits. That's just moulding.
First photo is drivers side with drain holes, but nothing on the passenger side.

Barry,

I have just carried out a small experiment:

I poured a cup of water in the LH area and noticed at the same time there is evidence of dried calcium deposits, so water pools there on mine too, the water sits for a second or two, then slowly seeps towards the centre of the Bonnet and disappears! :dk:

None of the water ever reaches the RH area, repeated the experiment on the RH side, the water initially escapes through the Drain Hole it's meant to, then again pools and heads toward the centre of the Bonnet and disappears! :banana:

Best guess, your Centre Drain is blocked, worst case scenario = your Centre Drain AND RH Drain are both blocked causing your 2 Inch lake on the LH Side! :doh:

Other experiments are available on request. No rubber ducks either real or imaginary were harmed whilst under these experimental conditions. Unfortunately 250ml of fresh water WAS wasted by draining it from the installed Water Cooler, but I won't tell if you don't! :devil:

I washed mine at the weekend and had a look at this. If the water is really deep it will go down the joint where Barry stuck his cable tie. Once it's below this level it tries to head to the centre drain, but it does leave some behind. I had a few leaves around the base of each wiper, so I've cleared those. Not easy as there's not much room. I would think as soon as you start driving any water will head to the centre drain. Alternatively you can "push" it along with a hose pipe when you are rinsing the car off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom