Pug in a sorry state!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kompressor_Dude

Car
CLK350 Sport
Minor crisis happened today and thought id see if anyone here can help me out.

The car i selected for my little sister as a 'reliable, solid cheap to run car' has just been towed from the side of a dual carriage way with what the AA man described as 'a failed oil pump, and top end rattle.' :(

The car's somewhere safe and can stay there for a week or two now, i'm just stuck as to the best option from here.

The car's an R reg Peugeot 106 1.5L diesel, just the mature side of 100k. From what i can see my options are:

1) source an engine from somewhere.
2)buy a 'beaking' pug with a good engine and transfer.
3)repair the current engine.

I'm basically looking for the most cost effective way of solving this problem for her as i feel a bit responsible and really want to help her out!

People on here are always spot on when i've had problems with my car so i thought i'd see if there's anyone who can help me with another marque here before i sign up to a forum of spotty teenagers who'll tell me to fit a bigger exhaust :D

If anyone's got any words of advice (or peugeot engines :bannana: ) please let me know, i'm a bit lost really!

me i would source a low mileage engine from a breakers yard regards jon

Options 1 & 2 seem to me to be the same, and would be my preferred route...depending on cost, would it be cheaper to start again?

auction the whole car and start afresh. buy a japanese next time. they are the best with high mileage.
Toyota, mazda. nissan, mitsubishi.
peugeot i have had four and when the problems start, they continue forever.

i would say scrap the car, buy a new one... they are not worth messing about with at that mileage... more and more things will start to go wrong after the 100K mark... its french, not german!

We had one for 18 months, engine was solid but everything else fell to bits around it..

Hello

I didn't want to say it first........given time or year and money etc...

but

Think I woudl start again. We had a pug (petrol one) 106 as a pool car years ago and it was only a coupe of years old with 40K miles on it when we got rid of it, worse thing I've ever driven, trim quality, thin plastic horrible steering wheel, rattles and just felt flimsy (if thats possible). Would not like to have an accident it it...:(

Sorry but at over 100K and R reg, its probably had its day, if you fix this problem...what next?

Now when I had run arounds I had a VW polo 1.3CL ? think thats right and it looked like new, I sold it on 80K and the people that bought it had a full RAC check al fine.

I would therefore see if you can either fix it VERY cheaply and px for a VW.

Sorry not probably what you want to here?

You bought a French car. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Silly you!

Buy a Toyota, or better yet a Honda.

we had an old (1992) pug 405 1.8 diesel and apart from dodgy electrics the car was ultra reliable.

It cost us a head gasket at 135k and that was virtually the only thing that broke on the car.

Plus it had a lot less rust than any comparable age Merc

yes i had a 405 1.9 sr auto import form holland. no problems except the torque converter went three times between 100-120k. the head gasket went at 135k, the coil at 120k the rear windscreen shattered at 110k and the dashboard came loose at 140k. all in all very reliable.

Thanks guys.

I had a 306 diesel and took it from 115k to 136k in a year without a single blip, this was why i picked her a pug diesel, wish i'd known :(

I agree that the car may not now be viable in the long term, but i cant work out how best to do things from here?

Leaving the car as it is and breaking/selling is only going to yield £300/£400 at best, which isnt really enough to get another car (unless a garage would PX in its current state?)

I could get another car/engine and have a go at fitting, but im assuming even if i were to hire an engine crane fitting a new one isnt going to be an easy task. Can see me ending up with two broken Pug engines on my drive! :bannana:

As for repair, would replacing the oil pump/top end be a more straight forward task? Time isnt really an issue as iv got a few weeks to work on it over xmas, just not sure if there are likely to be other elements of the engine damaged?

Thanks for your suggestions guys, i know you're right in saying ditch it and start again on something jap, and if i was in the financial position to do so i would but there's not much cash left to play with this time of year!

Out of interest, what sort of car would you go for at around the £800/£1000 mark which will give good mpg? The pug was seeing around 60mpg most of the time :rock:

Hello,

Years ago I swaped a engine from one MG metro to another with my dad. I would hardly say we are car mechanics...... But it worked on first turn of key !!

Actually quite an easy job, we hired an engine rig and did it in the garage.

If you can get a cheap engine (ebay? brakers?) then have a go. As a runner its worth more :)

I stick my what I said earlier and get a Polo, I'm sure they did a 1.9 one which in a little polo will be quite 'nippy' my 1.3 went ok. I'm sure that would do close on 60 mpg.

It will be more than say a fiesta or corsa, but much better built.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-VOLKSWAG...oryZ9873QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bit over price but you get the idea it was a V quick ebay search...

Thanks, she did love her old Polo, so i think i'll hire an engine rig and just give it a go. Got a few weeks off over xmas, a haynes and a full toolkit :rock: why not!

If it all goes to pot im sure i could tow it to a garage to be finished......... although my male pride may be in tatters :eek:

Is ebay a good bet for an engine? If not i'll just look up a breakers and see what they can get hold of.

Thanks for the responses, really appreciate a bit of idea generation...... should've learnt to buy german by now!

Hello,

Exchange & mart or Autotrader for breakers / salavge

I think I would rather have some guarantee that its going to work even if its only 3 months.

From memory the drive shafts were the awkard bit. If you have a friend to help then you will have it done in a day. Plenty of mince pies and mulled wine....

:)

I'm biased with the Vw's as My brother had a Mk2 Gti (A reg one years ago that was on 175K and still went like a train) he had a freind with a Mk1 Campaign (a classic now). I had the polo as a second car as a runaround (and made money when I sold it..) and a Golf Gti Anniversary.

They have all been great cars so would strongly recommend a Polo.

Good luck

Thanks, she did love her old Polo, so i think i'll hire an engine rig and just give it a go. Got a few weeks off over xmas, a haynes and a full toolkit :rock: why not!

If it all goes to pot im sure i could tow it to a garage to be finished......... although my male pride may be in tatters :eek:

Is ebay a good bet for an engine? If not i'll just look up a breakers and see what they can get hold of.

Thanks for the responses, really appreciate a bit of idea generation...... should've learnt to buy german by now!
GOODLUCK REGARDS JON;)

Latest news is that i've sourced a 41k engine for £265 delivered including VAT! was surprised by the price, she's determined she wants to keep the car afterwards (has even named it :crazy: ) so i'm looking to get it back on the road and keep it there.

Gonna replace the cam belt and engine mounts when i put it back in, anything else you guys can think of that'll be easier to replace on the crane than once it's back in?

If anyone's interested i'll keep a bit of a project thread going............ even if it is a dirty derv peugeot :rolleyes:

Sounds good,

Also sounds like its from a garage so will it have some guarantee?

Cheaper than changing the car if all ok :)

Nice Christmas project (seriously it should be a fairly ok job) :)

Yeah, 6 month guarantee! comes from a garage tested and ready to go :bannana:

Thanks for the encouragement! Have been told the driveshafts are a bit tricky by a few ppl but it's front wheel drive so they cant be that too bad.

All iv gotta do now is hire an engine crane and i should be good to go, someone explained how to make one out of scaffold poles lashed together into an A frame......... it's cheap but im not convinced!!

Hello,

When we did it the proper engine hoast wasn't much we only needed it a day. The drive shafts were the tricky bits but we managed.. :)

Yes you COULD make an a frame out of scaffold, but for the sake of Saftey and a few quid I'd rather use the lift.

We were made up turning the key and it worked first time :) great feeling

HSS or similar will have a lift this is the type we used.

http://www.hss.com/g/67715/500kg-Engine-Crane-Folding.html

£25 for the day :)

Cheers for the link, at that price it seems silly to crawl under any home made contraptions!

I doubt i'll have it done in a day but im hoping it wont be too long. Probably hire it for a week just in case, dont want to get cocky :D no mates with a clue about cars so it'll be a lone attempt, making turning the key at the end all the sweeter!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom