PUKE?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
This one has slipped under my radar onto the market recently. The new version of the somewhat mystifyingly popular Nissan Juke. Its been rounded off slightly in the looks department but its unclear if this is an entirely new platform * or just a new set of clothes. Love it or loath it -its on sale now.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
AND

* correction its evidently a new platform CMFB with a possible hybrid version in the pipeline which might influence floorpan architecture?

Last edited:
Good deals on the present shape at the moment , we (wife) have owned one for the last four years and it has been a great wee motor.

It has had a two tyres , exhaust and a couple of oil changes and apart from that it has been faultless. So much so we are looking at replacing it with another one around a year old.

Downsides , boot not huge , buzzy petrol engine , 30mpg but apart from that it has been a good car.

K

they are all the same now, just blobby non descript boxes

Wouldn't disagree--possibly partially down to the reduced drag designs demanded now. However according to the Autogefuhl video over a million buyers liked the previous "Mr Blobby" ;)

Good deals on the present shape at the moment , we (wife) have owned one for the last four years and it has been a great wee motor.

It has had a two tyres , exhaust and a couple of oil changes and apart from that it has been faultless. So much so we are looking at replacing it with another one around a year old.

Downsides , boot not huge , buzzy petrol engine , 30mpg but apart from that it has been a good car.

K

Would be interested to know what the initial buying appeal for you was? Alledgedly it was first small SUV type crossover- Was Nissan the first to identify/create a market sector that was waiting to be filled? Did people buy it for its looks or despite them? Did it represent very good value for money? It would develop a reputation for reliability but how many people knew that for sure at the point of sale? Or was it simply "the package"? Its one of these secrets manufacturers' marketing people would give their eye teeth for!

Last edited:
It was a replacement for a Scenic and as it was going to be the wifes car it was her call as to what she wanted , admittedly she doesnt know the difference between a camshaft or calm day so the buying duty was left to me.

As the Scenic was a little higher than most "cars" she preferred the slightly raised driving position without going for full height SUV`s , plus it helped the aging mum`s get in / out when required.

It had to have four doors for ease of access , a hatchback for practicality , petrol due to daily mileage but mainly it looked - CUTE :rolleyes:

Mini / Clio / Fiesta / Dacia Stepway were all considerations but didn`t look as CUTE as the Juke.

So ,Basically it was the looks that swayed the wifes buying decision.

Trying to get her into a Nismo RS but as mentioned , she is not really interested in cars , unless they look CUTE.

K

It's a car.

If I was offered a cheap one for dog and tip run duties I wouldn't object, in fact I'd take one over an old shape A class.

UK built in Sunderland for the European market. Some more info on the CMF platform.
http://www.motortrader.com.my/news/modular-architecture-for-renault-nissan-alliance-models/
Alliance-CMF-platform.jpg

We got one new in 2012 - it's my other half's car.

The reasons we bought one were:

1) We both liked the look of it. Adventurous and bold styling. I enjoy the fact people love it and hate it in seemingly equal measure. I've yet to meet anyone who is 50/50 on them although I'm sure there are some out there but they seem to be in a minority.
2) High driving position - she prefers that.
3) We had a Honda Jizz before and it was a bit too small overall albeit the capability to transport large things was impressive (full size door) - so that Joke is bigger.
4) For the equivalent money of the replacement Jizz, we could take a step up size-wise into the Joke so it didn't make sense to buy a Jizz.
5) The Satnav is built-in rather than a stick on one Honda were doing.
6) We got a great deal on a new one.
7) We both liked how it drove at the time.
8) It does drive very well actually. We've used it on holidays to the southwest many times in it and it's a good little car overall.
9) It does well in the snow with high ground clearance, FWD and thin chunky tyres.
10) We are getting on for 8 years and it has cost absolutely peanuts to run.

What's not so good...

1) The gearbox died at 2y10m at 22k. Got a revised version in it which has been fine since. Nothing else has gone wrong that isn't consumable to be fair though.
2) CVTs in general are shyte. I'd rather a more-modern slushy.
3) The engine is a bit under-powered - DIG-T would have been better in hindsight. It's a 1.6 chucking out something like 115BHP but that coupled with the CVT means it's a bit lame pulling away.
4) Boot space is a bit small - even if you remove the boot floor to reveal the extra storage underneath. It's OK though given the size of car and we were able to cram in a fair whack.
5) It's just a bit crappy - not the quality of other Japanese peers.

Would we buy another? Probably not. 'er indoors doesn't really liked the replacement so it hasn't made it onto the moderate replacement list.

I can't say I'm unhappy about that but it has been a good car overall.

Well never actually looked at the Juke the new ones seem ok,at the moment my other half is saying she is fed up with driving,if that changes who knows,at least the car is built in this country.

Just watched the video.

Quite like the new one actually.

Perhaps it might get added to the future list after all as 'er indoors quite likes it too.

Looks better and no CVT I understand also

One of the herd though
You could put half a dozen badges on it (and that's coming from a QQ family)

Here's a brief review of a Renault Kadjar [Nissan QQ ] with Renault's EDC [ ELECTRONIC DUAL CLUTCH] gearbox a version of which I assume is fitted in the new JUKE.

Yes, I noticed the 7 speed dual clutch automatic transmission.

I can't pretend I don't have concerns about how reliable that will be!

K
30 Mpg !!!! are you fruking kidding me !!? My ancient C55 V8 averages 23 Mpg . You are driving a Nissan Joke at 7 Mpg more than I get in an AMG !?....discuss.

30 Mpg !!!! are you fruking kidding me !!? My ancient C55 V8 averages 23 Mpg . You are driving a Nissan Joke at 7 Mpg more than I get in an AMG !?....discuss.

Three miles of stop / start driving on a daily basis doesn't do much for a healthy mpg figure. Try similar in your ancient V8 and you will be lucky to get it into double figures.

By comparison my sons 1.25 Fiesta averages 32 around town , my BMW 440i sees just over 20 mpg and that is with stop / start activated and my diesel Subaru will average 35 ish around town. My previous CLS 350d would be lucky to average over 20mpg on the same commute.

K

Yes, I noticed the 7 speed dual clutch automatic transmission.

I can't pretend I don't have concerns about how reliable that will be!

Yes but think of the fun you can have with the salesman when you ask them if the new Juke EDC box employs wet or dry clutches!;)

Yes but think of the fun you can have with the salesman when you ask them if the new Juke EDC box employs wet or dry clutches!;)

With that kind of weedy power output - it should be obvious to them really shouldn't it! :D

Three miles of stop / start driving on a daily basis doesn't do much for a healthy mpg figure. Try similar in your ancient V8 and you will be lucky to get it into double figures.

By comparison my sons 1.25 Fiesta averages 32 around town , my BMW 440i sees just over 20 mpg and that is with stop / start activated and my diesel Subaru will average 35 ish around town. My previous CLS 350d would be lucky to average over 20mpg on the same commute.

K
No. I have not re set one of the trip meters since I picked up the car 2 years and 40000 miles ago and it reads 23.1 Mpg average. I do 40 miles a day on the Motorway the rest is day to day stop start A/B road and to the 'shops and back' driving with the odd (more often than I would like to admit officer) pedal to the metal acceleration...like today when some joker in a Audi Q7 4.0 diesel tried it on....

I admit I am only going on what my dashboard is telling me as anyone who drive a V8 5.4lt car every day would be mad to actually tally up miles to reciept £:eek: but I still maintain the bang per buck you are getting out of the Nissan joke...is a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom