Pulled back the boot seal on my w210 and look what I found

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulE230

I thought my car was totaly free of dirt

In the end I removed the whole of the boot seal and cleaned all that wet dirt off.

Then I polished/sealed and waxed it and cleaned the rubber seal and refitted it. It took me almost 2 hours

it was wet soil/dirt and quite thick and actually under the black rubber seal
It hasnt rained here for ages. So many dirt traps on this car no wonder they rust

Another job well done, atleast your taking the early steps to avoid rust under these seals, top notch as per usual

W202 owners aswell as W210 owners need to keep an eye on the bootseals aswell.

The only part of my old W202 to start getting rusty was underneith the seal!

Paul, I recomend removing both front and rear bumpers. I can garentee you will find half a football field's worth of mud :)

W202 owners aswell as W210 owners need to keep an eye on the bootseals aswell.

The only part of my old W202 to start getting rusty was underneith the seal!

Paul, I recomend removing both front and rear bumpers. I can garentee you will find half a football field's worth of mud :)

Ive done behind the rear bumper but not behind the front bumper I will do that soon cheers

The wheel arch liners are bad on MB and allow the mud to build up both back and front between the liner and the wing, this stays wet most of the winter and rots them. I clean mine every few months and Waxoil.

Run your finger around and test

The wheel arch liners are bad on MB and allow the mud to build up both back and front between the liner and the wing, this stays wet most of the winter and rots them. I clean mine every few months and Waxoil.

Run your finger around and test

I cleaned them out when I first got the car and off all four wheel arches there must have been half a bucket of damp mud and for 8 or 9 months of the year it proberbly didnt even dry out.

I took each wheel off

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/7714/photo0067kas6.jpg

Sorry this is off topic, but is there any chance you could give me the part numbers for your alloy/plastic pedals that you have fitted, as shown in thread 37003 ? For some reason I can't reply in that thread.

These numbers are mentioned in another thread but the photos look different to yours - they seem to be all the same dark colour, whereas yours show the alloy and look far better (in my opinion):

A 170 300 00 04 : accelerator pedal
A 170 290 01 82 : brake pedal pad
A 230 430 00 84 : parking brake pedal pad

Duh, just found the HOW TO on this, tells me everything!! :eek: .

Will nip round to Greenoaks at lunchtime to order them. Luckily :p they are 5 minutes walk from the office. Have noted that the parking brake pedal part number to match the round dots with the others is A 203 430 00 84 (not A 230....).

Pics will follow.
Thanks

Will nip round to Greenoaks at lunchtime to order them. Luckily :p they are 5 minutes walk from the office. Have noted that the parking brake pedal part number to match the round dots with the others is A 203 430 00 84 (not A 230....).

Pics will follow.
Thanks

I managed to get the parking brake pedal cover with the round dots not sure how but the parts department noticed they were diferent and re ordered the part.

There not to difficult to fit. I did mine in the dealer car park took about 10-15 mins

I have similar worries about the boot seals of my W203.
The problem isn't with the rubber boot seal, but with the water run aways that are totally covered by a plastic guard. What is under them? Are they full of dirt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom