Pulled over for speeding...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rose Chap

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus GS450h
Whilst driving home from the orifice late Thursday evening, I pulled off the M23 near home and in short order had a rear view mirror full of flashing blue lights.

"You were going a bit fast there Sir" remarked the young officer in response to my 90+ mph cruise on the quiet highway. His colleague looked round my car whilst the one talking to me first praised my "excellent lane discipline", but told me that frankly I was going over the speed limit and that if I didn't drive slower, I'd get points on my licence.

To paraphrase an excellent Evo article, I got the point without getting the points.

Getting pulled over is a fair cop and I am certainly not making excuses, after all it was my decision to exceed the posted limit, but it definitely is refreshing to see a sensible stance taken by the Police in giving me a warning and reminding me that a licence is easily endorsed. Home Office take note; employ more of these guys and get rid of some scameras.

By the way, unmarked silver 55 plate C Class estate. :)

I had a similar experience on the M4 (just after it splits from the A4). As with you, it was late at night, (actually, more like early in the morning :p), no-one around except an unmarked car on the right lane - I was duly impressed by the warning!

Got me thinking.....

If they tell you off and you go merrily on your way without being reported, have you learnt a lesson and not broken the speed limit since?

If I get told off in a similar fashion and I do not get reported; then five miles down the road I run someone over whilst doing 90mph! I wonder what the reaction of the media would be if they found out I had been stopped a few minutes before hand and simply sent on my way?

Just thinking aloud,
Regards,
John the loud thinker

tee hee John, you really must stop thinking aloud - we all know that speeding doesn't cause any problems on the road :)

I agree about the sensible policing though but at the end of the day it really doesn't have any effect - being stopped and told off 4 times wouldn't slow you down. Getting snapped by 4 cameras with the associated fines and points would certainly slow all but the most determined/stupid people :)

Andy

I get that alot...and often, I praise the officers for playing fair cop, they feel pleased, and I feel pleased I'm not getting points...and most of the time, it's unmarked cars. I slow down and try not to speed through the rest of the night till end of my shift at 6am.

glojo said:
Got me thinking.....

If they tell you off and you go merrily on your way without being reported, have you learnt a lesson and not broken the speed limit since?

If I get told off in a similar fashion and I do not get reported; then five miles down the road I run someone over whilst doing 90mph! I wonder what the reaction of the media would be if they found out I had been stopped a few minutes before hand and simply sent on my way?

Just thinking aloud,
Regards,
John the loud thinker

Actually, yes it did! Still today, as I go over that piece of road (which is quite often late at night; one of my closest friends lives down there) I rigorously stick to the 40mph speed limit (even though its a "motorway").

Strange how the human brain works... (That said, I think I may just do it because I feel "obliged" to the very kind cop who stopped me 2 or 3 years ago!)

Michele

Spinal said:
Strange how the human brain works... (That said, I think I may just do it because I feel "obliged" to the very kind cop who stopped me 2 or 3 years ago!)

Michele
:) Well done:bannana: :bannana: and as I say, 'It was me, thinking aloud.'

Discretion is a human factor which is sometimes greatly appreciated.

Regards,
John

West Sussex has a variety of unmarked cars. The one I see most is a Silver Mitsubishi Evo. Very stealthy!

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

bolide said:
West Sussex has a variety of unmarked cars. The one I see most is a Silver Mitsubishi Evo. Very stealthy!

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Nick.
Sat. late afternoon. Passed a stricken or speeding white van man that was attended by 2 of our boys in blue driving a very sedate maroon Skoda Superb!
M25 Reigate Hill:(

Iain said:
Nick.
Sat. late afternoon. Passed a stricken or speeding white van man that was attended by 2 of our boys in blue driving a very sedate maroon Skoda Superb!
M25 Reigate Hill:(

Very stealthy indeed...!

Spinal said:
I had a similar experience on the M4 (just after it splits from the A4). As with you, it was late at night, (actually, more like early in the morning :p), no-one around except an unmarked car on the right lane - I was duly impressed by the warning!

I like the bends on the elevated section heading W. & when the road is empty regularly drive that section at double the 40 mph limit.

Go on, line up to tell me off.

Surely this discussion is about trust? If you deliberately break the law, and are caught by the police then expect to face the consequences.

However, in this case the policeman, by warning you has placed you in a position of trust that you wont do it again (At least on this journey!)

If you then break the law again, you broke your agreement with the officer and deserve the full punishment of the law. You also jeopardise the chances of everybody else being given a verbal warning, because the "young officer" no longer sees any value in giving verbal warnings.

Here’s an idea, imagine if the police had a yellow/red card system. You get stopped for a verbal, your details are placed on a database, and if you are stopped again within a specified time frame you get nicked?? I for one would like this system as it at least gives you a chance to mend your ways before you get points/fine etc!

Hard to tell from Rose Chaps' post if he was sorry or not. My read verged on he wasn't becuase it was all his own choice.

Keeping it short I was pulled over once on the motorway and got the strong talking to rather than points and fine approach.

It worked, it worked well. OK I was more relieved than if I had got points, but I was no less sorry than I would have been. From when I drove off until now, it was not a case of don't get caught again, it was a case of don't do it again. Before you start hopping about, I never said speed was or was the only offence.

This was not the first occassion, although many years in between and I wish I had got this treatment the first time instead of points as it would have worked better IMO.

BenzComander said:
Here’s an idea, imagine if the police had a yellow/red card system. You get stopped for a verbal, your details are placed on a database, and if you are stopped again within a specified time frame you get nicked?? I for one would like this system as it at least gives you a chance to mend your ways....

I *think* they already do...

Instead of banning you for breaking the law, if it is a relatively minor infringement, they give you points on your licence and a small fine. Break the trust enough times and then you get the punishment... :D

Did it work?

Yes! I drove to Cambridge over the weekend and whilst it would be a lie to say I drove everywhere within the speed limit, the limiter on the cruise was set several notches lower.

neilrr said:
I like the bends on the elevated section heading W. & when the road is empty regularly drive that section at double the 40 mph limit.

Go on, line up to tell me off.

Thats EXACTLY where I got pulled over. You know where there is the exit (the left lane splitting off)? 5/10m after that I got stopped (in the middle of the road mind you, with them stopped in the right lane, thus totally blocking ANY traffic that would have come down the road... quite freaky I must say!)

unmarked volvos, skodas, jags and a mondeo here

Post Office Vans, Black Cabs and Plain White Vans with souped up motors around here (well, its a good story to get going :D )

Silestanix said:
I get that alot...and often, I praise the officers for playing fair cop, they feel pleased, and I feel pleased I'm not getting points...and most of the time, it's unmarked cars. I slow down and try not to speed through the rest of the night till end of my shift at 6am.

Without wishing to be judgemental, this obviously doesn't work on you if it "happens a lot".
You mentioned in another post hat you regularly break the speed limit to get the job done.

This is why cameras are used so often, they are impartial and don't keep giving chances to persistent offenders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom