Pulled over today...

Discussion in 'Driving/Incidents/Roadrage' started by Biscuit, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Biscuit

Biscuit Hardcore MB Enthusiast

was just zipping around the back of Oxford Street to day doing some Christmas shopping on the motorbike and come round the corner by the US embassy and get pulled over by diplomatic police checkpoint of sorts under the terrorism legislation.

PC very polite and apologised for delaying me, explained what it was all for and took details from my license. i asked if they had ANPR but apparently broken today :D , he said they do 45 minute stints by the embassies, in Whitehall or by MI 5 (?) building south of the river.

he gave me a slip of paper to say that i had been stopped, i told him i wouldn't be writing to my MP in a civil rights fury. he bade me goodnight sir.

two reactions 1) doesn't strike me as a particularly effective anti terrorism weapon but maybe its to catch all those people on fake plates that slip past the ANPR every day ;) and 2) the first thought as an armed policeman steps into the road with palm facing me is not "who me?" or "this is for jumping the light in Wigmore Street" or "is the MOT up to date?" but "great, this is going to be a good thread on MBClub". :eek:

2. WLeg

WLeg Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CT-200h, VW Polo, Rav4,

That takes the biscuit.....

sorry....:D

3. Rovinghawk

Rovinghawk Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLK 230K, Mondeo Estate, Blackbird
    Nice to see terrorism laws used for random purposes.............

RH

4. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    I had exactly the same thought a few seconds after the dust had settled and i had made sure that Angela was alright when my CLK was written off in the summer ..... :eek:

5. UnMarked

UnMarked Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Various-depends on the weather
    :eek: Boo! He's behind you (well it is the pantomime season :D )

6. Rovinghawk

Car:
    It's funny when you're one of the oppressors, less fun when one of the oppressed.

I accept it's not that extreme yet, but it's well on the way.

RH

7. OP
    OP
    Biscuit

RH, please don't take offence on my account. he was polite, it seemed as if they were doing a fair amount of stopping and yet i was gone in less than 5 minutes. given that there are a dozen armed coppers outside the US embassy anyway i think its a pretty good use of their time.... better than them freezing their backsides off.

8. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Biscuit, please don't take offence but everbody knows Rovinghawk is right and you were wrong and the fact that you were there and he wasn't is completely immaterial. ;)

9. OP
    OP
    Biscuit

aaaah ... apologies. do carry on.

picks up placard

"what do we want? freedom from the oppressor! when do we want it? NOW!....what do we want ......"

10. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Pedestrian
    Is your name Dennis?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=o76WQzVJ434

:D

11. Rovinghawk

Car:
    I noted that- it wasn't your particular case I was thinking of so much as the encroachment on daily lives.

The police now stop folks for no reason other than 'potential terrorism', regardless of any intelligence or reasonable grounds. It's now illegal to have cash in not too excessive amounts ('money laundering'), possible to be nicked for no real reason (the famous 'your horse looks gay' comment), and more laws to intrude on our lives are being introduced every day.

I'm awaiting the day when the police aren't polite, it takes forever and you get fined for a minor technicality that's easier to enforce than (eg) burglary.

RH

12. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    A question------ how many other motorbikes/cars/cyclists passed you while they were interviewing you?

13. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 1.8d SE (sorry, guys)
    Why not join Amnesia International ?

Protest chant- "What do we want?" "Erm" ......

14. OP
    OP
    Biscuit

there was a van and a motorbike at the side of the road when i was pulled, and they had both gone when i pulled away. there was one van that drew up behind me during my time stopped and that was the only vehicle when i left. three pc's i reckon doing the pulling.

as to the number that went past during my time i'd say fifty ish - but thats a real guess.

i came round the corner and the copper already had his hand up so there wasnt alot of choosing as such - pretty sure he heard me before seeing me.

it seemed to be all vans and motorbikes.

thats about all i can tell you.

15. neilrr

neilrr MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Various.
    I have to agree with roving hawk on this one after being stopped in Windsor Great Park miles from anywhere while on a dog walk under "Prevention of Terrorism laws, sir."

We laughed out loud at the cop, who was quite disgruntled with our attitudes.

16. OP
    OP
    Biscuit

i'm sure there are plenty of threads on MB club about this trade-off. essentially it boils down to a compromise between (at the very ends of the spectrum) anarchy and totalitarianism.

i dont have a problem with where we are now, the level of intrusion and data collection is broadly fine by me.

its also fine for you to have a different view of course but if you lean towards the more libertarian end of the spectrum then you have to stick to that viewpoint when hit by an uninsured driver or even worse see some terrorist bombing claim dozens of lives on the underground. that becomes the price for everyone's freedom.

looking at the stop and search paperwork it tells me about the powers, what a pc must tell me, and how far the search can go. there is also 6 avenues to pursue a complaint and 4 websites for more information about the law and police powers of stop and search. if i did have my nose put out of joint they certainly make it easy for me to complain about it.

17. chord

chord Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    M3, SLK350
    Let us hope that the European Court ruling on the police holding the DNA of innocent people will make the law makers sit up and take notice. However, in the name of terrorism it appears anything goes. And don't get me started on the "if you are innocent you have nothing to worry about" rubbish either..

18. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    So on that basis the odds of picking up a terrorist/ money launderer/ licence dodger about 10/1 against? I always wonder how much of this activity is PR window dressing as opposed to targeted policing?:confused:

19. OP
    OP
    Biscuit

well i guess if you were looking to bomb the US embassy you'd need a van full of explosive to do it and for that five mins the odds of being stopped were much higher. doesn't explain the motorbike though (unless they think a bike can get round the road defences)

the addition of an ANPR van would make the license dodging all but impossible but it was "broken". and given they are all standing about on the pavement there anyway i dont have a problem with them actually doing something. maybe its a case of doing something is better than nothing and the added deterrent effect. so for the "guarding the embassy" budget you are getting more?

20. Rovinghawk

Car:
    On the whole 'alleged security' debate, consider this:

Airports such as Birmingham (& I presume all of the others) no longer allow drop-off outside the terminal due to the risk of car bombs, etc. Lots of police prevent you stopping for even a moment unless you pay the £1 fee to go in the 'security' area. (I can only assume that MI5 have decided that the £1 charge would deter any terrorist activity.)

Assume that all the inconvenience actually thwarts a suicide car bomber and isn't just to inconvenience folks to give the illusion of security. What's to stop me wheeling in a trolley piled high with cases full of semtex, going into the check-in area at a horrendously busy time(eg Xmas) & blowing a thousand people to bits?

I don't disapprove of security as a concept; I disagree with the cack-handed way that intrusions for the greater power of the government & police is disguised as being for 'your safety & security'.

RH

Tags: