Pulling left ....with a twist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lfckeeper

Car
Bmw 5 series (Former W203 C class and 2x W219 CLS owner)
Ok i know about some Mercedes pulling left .

Heres what has happened...car has gone in to have lower control arms replaced also have the flappy paddles fixed.

Prior to any work when the car pulled left i straighten and the steering wheel would be straight, now its to the right.

Ive had an alignment done by the guy who did this work and got a second opinion...all is spot on.

Is it possible when doing the paddles the steering wheel is now on wrong? Is this how its supposed to be and now everything is aligned ive noticed it? Is it all in my head and was probably like this before I just wasn't aware? (Last one is unlikely as it doesn't feel 'right')

Cheers for any help.

Last edited:
Has the steering wheel been removed for the paddles to be be fixed?

If the wheel wasn't straight when they did the alignment, then it won't be level when you're driving. - I've had this problem before (not on the Merc though).

Last time I just undid the nut, pulled the wheel off the splines, and straightened it myself.

Careful, go too many splines away from the marked centre and you'll bugger the SAS and indicator auto cancel

If the wheel wasn't straight when they did the alignment, then it won't be level when you're driving. - I've had this problem before (not on the Merc though).

Last time I just undid the nut, pulled the wheel off the splines, and straightened it myself.

Is that wise with airbags?

This may be a stupid thing to say so apologies in advance if it is....the alignment is spot on but the steering is out.

If the steering wheel is right by 5° (im not sure its an example) then wouldn't re doing alignment with the steering wheel 5° to the left correct it?

Centre the steering wheel and then make adjustments to each track rod end to get the alignment correct

Had some similar issues before on my CLS.

-When your steering wheel is in the centre, straight ahead position, Does the car actually drive straight? If not, then as said above the track rod ends need tweaking with the wheel.
-If alignment is spot on and the car pulls to the left or right then either something is worn (I had a castor arm bushing worn which pulled to the left), a buckled wheel possibly, or suspension not level and needs re-calibrating(Airmatic only really).

Cheers for all your replies...it definitely seems that its a tracking issue not that the steering wheel has been put back on wrong...ill take it back to the place that does the wheel realignment and explain the issue

Ok quick update ...haven't managed to get back to get another alignment done, however....

The control arms were replaced as there was a squeak on the NSF. Ive assumed he was replacing one control arm on each side (i never asked if it was lower or upper just assumed) on checking the invoice and a visual check, he has replaced both control arms on the near side and the old ones are still on the OS.

Will this have an effect on the car and maybe why, in addition to the lopsided steering wheel, the car feels 'odd/weird'

Ok quick update ...haven't managed to get back to get another alignment done, however....

The control arms were replaced as there was a squeak on the NSF. Ive assumed he was replacing one control arm on each side (i never asked if it was lower or upper just assumed) on checking the invoice and a visual check, he has replaced both control arms on the near side and the old ones are still on the OS.

Will this have an effect on the car and maybe why, in addition to the lopsided steering wheel, the car feels 'odd/weird'

Dont suppose anyone has an ideas? Its really bugging me :crazy:

Yes, the car should have a full suspension geometry check/adjustment on renewing arms.

When I had my LSD fitted one of the arms at the back was way out and the car was pulling like the rear was steering the front.

Had alignment done and sorted it out.

When you have suspension components replaced it is always preferable to have a full alignment done. Note that I state "preferable" it is not always a requirement.

With the removal of your steering wheel it is almost certain that it will have been put back out by 1 or 2 splines. Mercedes splines are very tight and allow for fractional adjustment at the steering wheel. So if your wheel is slightly out not six inches or so? I would be looking to simply remove and refit the wheel. This can take several attempts to get exactly as you desire.

Warning:

Disconnect the battery before starting as this may save you having to get the SRS re-set, in the event that you pull the wire out by accident. In the worst case scenario, that you detonate the airbag with your face inside the wheel. Should this happen you may require more than a session on STAR to remedy the damage to your face.

The airbag wiring may have to be disconnected!!! This is a two pin bell wire and will allow the wheel to be removed completely. You may have enough slack in the wire to be able to leave it connected. Do not strain the wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom