Pulling over to nearside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Box man

Car
c class sport
I have a 2010 c class 200 tourer which constantly pulls over to the nearside with the camber of the road. The vehicle has been back to MB four times now for chassis checks and tracking and every time the reply is the same " Its the way MB's are set up and there is nothing you can do to rectify this as they are camber sensitive", i wish they had told me before i handed over my cash as when traveling on the motorway for any distance my forearm aches which is now a total chore.:mad:
Has anybody suffered this fault and been able to fix it, if so how.:wallbash:

The usual myth...it can be fixed. "Wheels in motion" can do it. Look 'em up.

I have looked at his site however its too far away, but if wheels in motion can cure the fault why does MB constantly fail to accept that there is a problem, it will only drive people away from the MB brand.

Mine used to do the same, but when I changed to winter tyres it stopped. Put the summers back on and it returned.

Directional tyres with V type tread patterns on the front make it worse, so I avoid them like the plague.

Russ

Don't ask why MB can't fix it, I had same experience, just call Tony at WIM and do the roadtrip, you will be happy after that.

First class service from Tony and the team at WIM.. well worth the journey to sort this problem out.

Regards

but if wheels in motion can cure the fault why does MB constantly fail to accept that there is a problem, it will only drive people away from the MB brand.

It's not only the case with alignment and geometry. It's pretty much any problem...

What's even worse is I don't even think they give a sht that people will go elsewhere. Don't you just love arrogance?

As it happens, I know someone with an 58 plate CLK280, and she said the steering wheel wasn't straight. Numerous Mercedes visits and they denied anything was wrong.

One look and it was obvious the wheel was not straight, even though the tracking etc. were alledgedly fine.

It appears a wheel at least 10 degrees out is normal to Mercedes.

More recently, a non-Mercedes entity spotted it was wrong and are due to resolve when a tyre is changed imminently.

Mercedes' slogan should be "Whatever it takes to get rid of you so you don't waste our time".

Do you think MB will ever do anything about it?

If Lexus did a full sized convertible that didn't look ******* I'd have one in a flash.

As is, if I was looking at a new luxury car I'd be seriously looking at these latest generation Audi's.....

Box man said:
... if wheels in motion can cure the fault why does MB constantly fail to accept that there is a problem, it will only drive people away from the MB brand.
Actually, it's not quite as simple as that.

If you check the geometry you'll almost certainly find that everything's absolutely straight, true, and even. What WIM do is to marginally offset the geometry left to right so that if you were to drive on a perfectly flat and level road the car would pull slightly to the right. When you're driving on the left in the UK this balances the car's tendency to follow the camber of the road, and the car will drive straight with no steering input.

The downside to this is that if you take your car across the channel and drive on the right, the effects of the offset geometry and the road camber become additive, and the car will exhibit a more pronounced pull to the right. My wife's SLK pulls gently to the left on heavily cambered UK roads, but as we us it in continental Europe too, after discussion with the guys at WIM we decided to leave the geometry setup as standard. YMMV and all that.

I have a 2010 c class 200 tourer which constantly pulls over to the nearside with the camber of the road. The vehicle has been back to MB four times now for chassis checks and tracking and every time the reply is the same " Its the way MB's are set up and there is nothing you can do to rectify this as they are camber sensitive", i wish they had told me before i handed over my cash as when traveling on the motorway for any distance my forearm aches which is now a total chore.:mad:
Has anybody suffered this fault and been able to fix it, if so how.:wallbash:

I had this problem temporarily.
Turned out it was a "warped" tyre,front nearside. Have a really good look by taking the wheel off and checking both sides and tread for signs of undue wear or bulging.
Regards
John

Does the car drift to the right on an opposite camber?

There could be few resons why it pulls.
1. Caster problem - (like said before) its even on both sides but because of UK roads it needs caster offset left to right
2. Camber problem - more positive camber on left might pull as well
3. Radial pull of tyres - simple check by front tyres swap, it pull change from left to right or desapere completly - it is tyre pull
4. Low pressure - very simple and a lot times drivers forget to check it before they do alignment

Proper 4 wheel alignment check will give indication where to look for solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom