Pulling to either side at low speeds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wilfie

Car
CLK320 W208
I have just had new tyres fitted to the front of my CLK320 (W208) and the tracking done. Now the car gently pulls to either side at speeds below about 50mph, surely this isn't normal? :dk:

If you had only tracking done then this is not enough. Your vehicle may pulling for number different resons.
1. Wrong suspansion angles - full geometry reading/adjustment needed - not just tracking.
2. Worn suspension.

Do you have a print out of angles so we could look at them?

I dont I'm afraid, I do however have an appointment at wheels in motion on Thursday. Cheers for the reply.

I paid 182 for geometry in wheels in motion, nothing changed just my bank account...
NOT HAPPY AT ALL!

I have just had new tyres fitted to the front of my CLK320 (W208) and the tracking done. Now the car gently pulls to either side at speeds below about 50mph, surely this isn't normal? :dk:

What make are the tyres?

LudoCLS said:
I paid 182 for geometry in wheels in motion, nothing changed just my bank account...
NOT HAPPY AT ALL!

Understand how you feel, dealer wasted 1.5 days and 3 trips, and still didn't get my geometry right!

I have a car very sensitive on steering and pull, and I have to say Tony and team have done a great job to make my car as perfect as can be when it comes to tyres and steering geometry. I'm sure you just need to have a chat with them and they will try to make things right.

LudoCLS said:
NOT HAPPY AT ALL!

What size wheels do you have? Larger the wheel size and wider the tyre things get more sensitive.

Not wanting to hijack the thread i want to say if anyone uses us and is not happy with the results then it's my problem.... If there's distance involved i will pay for the fuel, if we have done something wrong or missed something i will hold my hands up in public, but what i won't do is abandon ship just because you have paid for the work.

Additional analysis would be free, if a new criminal arose causing the continuation for the complaint an additional fee would be required or just walk away given the knowledge.

With handling/ tyre wear issues the chassis is the most immediate target assuming all mechanical tests have been met, but cars are complex things so even if the chassis displayed your complaint it doesn't mean we could wave the flag of solution.

In this event we "move on", because we know what the complaint is not "geometry"..... Now we are in the realm of the box or to be precise looking outside of it in order to find the criminal and this is free.......

Tony and the guys at WIM sorted out issues on my AMG. This was in addition to Tony taking time out talk me through potential issue on the telephone. Transformed the cars handling and steering. They get my vote for sure.

I will take my cls back to Chesham, but i'm too busy now with my Florida holiday :)
I understand its whole car, not just alighment what can cause problems, my complain is only about the words after I paid 186-not cheapest price on market!
'now it will be definitely much better' they said.....but because it wasn't, after 3 test drives I left with bad feeling...
This is the email advice: 'I know the reason for the pull is the tyres damaged condition. When you come back we will move them to belay the contact drift.'
But my tyres are same worn...:dk:

Tyres and their condition are our Nemesis..

If a car in on the geometry rig it's there for a reason albeit handling or tyre wear, but at the end of the calibration we cannot put tread back on...

Unevenly worn tyres generate a conically compressive force which is fine assuming both front tyres have worn in the same fashion. Most times this is not the case so.... We remove or add geometric force but sometimes cannot belay the tyres condition.

On the rig we can read the geometric condition, explain this to the customer and openly agree a fee to correct the issues. As most know we do not use the MB tolerances because these will not work on UK roads.

Once calibrated if we have a complaint like in this case we move on using our experience which in this case will be the pneumatic contact patch.

All reads a bit Heath Robinson but it's not and i'm not God, claiming absolute solution 100% of the time. Let me put it this way....

If i were to offer a 100% solution i would need to do this...
1: Replace all the tyres and be sure the lateral drift markings match
2: Replace/ swap the front coils side-to-side
3: Calibrate the chassis
4: Calibrate the steering angle censor

I don't think that's realistic in the real world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom