pulling to the feft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigdom1957

Car
mercedes 220d cdi
hi last year my steering rack developed a leek and under guarentee got sorted , a sealm was gone , c220 cdi 2015 amg sportsline model,
i had a tyre that was a tiny wee bit scrubed on the outer edge but drivers side and i felt at high speed i was woindering so i had a look at the bearing , ,jacked up to wheel off and hub cap to find the nut was well loose so i tightend up , but would pull to the left driving and under braking, i had a look at the left and it was slack as well so and wee turn on the nut , but still pulling to left so changed the wheels over to no avail, i asked mercedes and he said it would be my tyres , mmm i told him what i done ,he said nut was to tight so i backed left nut of a tad but still the same , i asked him if maybe there was to much fluid in steering getting pumped to the left ie maybe a seal was passing , drawing on my engineering from past experiances on pumps he said no , so what do i do cars got 23k on the clock

Sounds like your car needs a steering geometry check before anything else. A good four wheel alignment check on a Hunter Hawk Eye machine will show any geometry issues. Average cost for this would be £100.00 plus extra charge for any adjustments.

I think the same as Trickythemerc,it is just possible that when the the new rack was put on maybe one of the settings has worked lose,if the car only went left under braking then you would be looking at the right brake not working correctly,it's a funny old thing with wheel bearings,you do need to know just how tight to do that nut up,I am with you if it is loose then it needs tightening,these days unless you know it is best left for the mechanic to adjust,the other thing is if you have to renew the bearings on one side,look at the price of a whole hub because the labour on removing old bearings and fitting new ones can be very expensive,but first get the geometry check done .

it was all ok after the rack repair was done ,i also excercised the brake calipers just in case one was stuck on or one was not working all was fine there ,

Sounds like your car needs a steering geometry check before anything else. A good four wheel alignment check on a Hunter Hawk Eye machine will show any geometry issues. Average cost for this would be £100.00 plus extra charge for any adjustments.
hi put car into progrip falkirk , left side was well out he brought it back in and the right side just a touch , took it out and it felt great , yesterday i hit a pothole and now it feels its pulling to the left again, christ all mighty surely to xxxx mercedes can make steeering that can stand up to knocks , im now thinking of hitting same pothole with right wheel , this aint good

id also go for wheel alignment, also check tyre pressures are all unto spec and have look at any bushes or balljoints, but id be after a full geometry check front and back, camber and toe rather than just setting the front end. done a few times on my mates 64 plate c63 when i was in the garage, seemed to be very sensitive and easy to knock out of spec

at progrip tyres are checked lazer alighn back and front back was ok , seems to me as you said a bit fragile at the front , seemed to easy to knock out , camber and toe are in spec , but if it knocks out this easy im suspect at summit else , cars done 23k guy told me at garage usualy all mers pull to the left , seems feckin odd to me for an expensive motor. i give up ill have a word with merc garage , if nothing im going to ajust it a bit at a time till it stops drawing to the left , im not paying anothe 60 quid with 10 days

at progrip tyres are checked lazer alighn back and front back was ok , seems to me as you said a bit fragile at the front , seemed to easy to knock out , camber and toe are in spec , but if it knocks out this easy im suspect at summit else , cars done 23k guy told me at garage usualy all mers pull to the left , seems feckin odd to me for an expensive motor. i give up ill have a word with merc garage , if nothing im going to ajust it a bit at a time till it stops drawing to the left , im not paying anothe 60 quid with 10 days

pay attention to the camber of the road, some cars can be quite camber sensitive so say the road cambers off to the left the steering will sit slightly to the right. if you get it onto a flat road or surface and try it that way, let go of the wheel or hold it lightly and see if it pulls out your hand, check see if t has anything to do with acceleration and or braking, that would indicate usually a bush at the front. Also depends in where the steering wheel is set at the straight ahead position. iv sen some places set the wheel to counteract with the camber on the road. not how i would do it personally.

Think about investing in some higher-profile tyres/wheels.

It's the only long-term solution because our roads aren't going pothole-free overnight.

Mine ( 2010 E200 CDi, w212 ) was pulling ever so slightly to the left, so I took it into my local tyre shop, and put it on the alignment lift, and connected it up. Everything on the front end was 100%, but on the rear, the N/S wheel was out, and this was causing it to drift to the left. Now, after adjustment, it's driving perfectly straight. So your problem could be in the rear, but only an alignment check will show it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom