Pulsating dash display : W210 E-Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave K

Car
E320 CDi (W210)
I've noticed the LCD displays on my W210 E-Class (2000 reg facelift) dashboard tend to pulse brightly occasionaly. It's completely random and they flicker much brighter than normal for a millisecond or two and then return to normal brightness. Anybody else ever seen this?

Could it be the voltage controller cutting in a millisecond late, and you just have astonishing visionary powers?
These cars are so complex its best to ignore it. If it were a prestige British car, we'd call it character. Germans can have character too!

Lcd and most digital displays flicker usually too fast for the eye to notice, however sometimes it can be noticeable in the corner of your eye.
I did have a bmw where all the lights including headlamps would tremble, it was a blown voltage regulator.

I've noticed this too on my 2000 W210. Headlights flash brighter for a split second at the same time as the dashboard display. Happens randomly, no patttern to it. :confused:

Remember having a similar problem on my W210. A quick check of the battery resolved the issue.. needed a little topping up. It seemed the battery was straining a little under certain conditions.. might be worth a check.

Especially at this time of year, when the sun is low, it can hit the ambient light sensor directly.
If it does that, then the display will brighten. then when you go back into shade, the display will dim again.
Could be that.....

Well today I noticed the same flickering happening with the interior lights (i.e. front and rear cockpit illumination lights) and the interior light in the boot. So, whatever the fault is, it's affecting the whole electrical system. I wonder if it's the regulator pack on the alternator (assuming the alternator has a regulataor pack - MB electrics are something I haven't been involved with until now).

Well the days are getting lighter and I'm still having this problem. It can hapen in broad daylight on on open road and my dash display turns brighter for a second and then retunrs to normal. If the lights are on (ie it's dark), dash and lights go brighter so it does appear to affect the whole of the electrical system. Did wonder about my battery but it's only two years old and allegedly doesn't need topping up.

Anyone get anywhere with this? Dave K?

Not fixed it yet. I've had a brief look at the alternator and it seems like I'll have to remove it to get to the connections properly. Watch this space.

Dave K said:
Not fixed it yet. I've had a brief look at the alternator and it seems like I'll have to remove it to get to the connections properly. Watch this space.

Check the battery as-well - if its dying, then the voltage of the car can shift up and down (when it can't provide enough juice any more) - most independant battery places will stick a tester on it for free (and I think they can check the alternator)

R

Battery was new about 6 months ago when I noticed the car was a bit lazy on the starter. I didn't really notice an improvement with the new battery :(

jukie said:
Well the days are getting lighter and I'm still having this problem. It can hapen in broad daylight on on open road and my dash display turns brighter for a second and then retunrs to normal. If the lights are on (ie it's dark), dash and lights go brighter so it does appear to affect the whole of the electrical system. Did wonder about my battery but it's only two years old and allegedly doesn't need topping up.

Anyone get anywhere with this? Dave K?

I had this problem, dimming then brightening, I found that my heater switch [the switch next to the cigarette lighter] when left on was causing the problem, so now leave the switch off [with the red light showing]

Interesting. I'll see if that has any effect on it (although I've observed the phenomenon whilst engine is fully warmed up).

Dave K said:
Interesting. I'll see if that has any effect on it (although I've observed the phenomenon whilst engine is fully warmed up).

Same here, when it got warmed up, led to believe but really don't know how to use the facility, its supposed to keep the cabin with warm air from the vents whilst your away from the vehicle, but not 100% sure, I am led to believe with this switch in the on position, [ie light out] somehow takes in diesel to burn to give the heat. therefore pulling down the elecy system with the ignition on, and shows up by the lights, dash panel lights and interior light dimming and brightening

I thought that system (i.e. the heater switch by the cigarette lighter) was meant to control a heater that works when the external temperature is very low. The aim is to warm the engine up quicker. When the engine is warm enough, this heater is no longer active. Therefore, it should only draw any power in cold conditions.

The cabin warm air feature (called "Rest") simply switches on the blower and blows air through the heater matrix. I assume that engine coolant is pumped to the heater matrix by some sort of pump in the engine bay but I'm not certain of that. I'll investiagte more.

Sounds like a voltage regulator as previously stated, get to Kwik Fit or similar and they will test alternator and battery for nought, also AA or RAC will do this, basically it wont cost you a penny to find out whats wrong

Good idea. But how does one persuade the AA to do this? Stop a van? I'm not being pedantic here...I genuinely want to know because it seems a good idea.

I'll investigate the voltage regulator tomorrow as my car's in for an aircon service.

However, I switched off that heater thingy :)o) next to the cigarette lighter this morning. Did two 10-mile journeys to and from work and went out on a 20-mile test drive tonight. Not one pulse and trust me, I would have noticed as I'm now looking for it every time I drive my car.

Will keep monitoring the situation.

Dave K said:
Good idea. But how does one persuade the AA to do this? Stop a van? I'm not being pedantic here...I genuinely want to know because it seems a good idea.

This was of course assuming you or somebody you know are members, my ex had free membership through an old bank account, they were called out quite often when my mate and I did a bit of car trading towards the end of uni.

If your wondering why she is my ex it is for no more reason that kerbing my newly refurbished alloys, a harsh but fair lesson I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom