Puncture not repairable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HumberMart

Car
CL500 4.7 twin turbo
Hi, my wife was unfortunate to get a punture only 4 days after picking up a new B180 Sport. The local tyre place said it couldn't be repaired as the small screw had entered the tyre too close to the shoulder - it is quite close to the side wall, but still just on the treaded part.

Was this a fair assessment, or were they just after a £135 sale for a new tyre? The tyre still held 20 psi, a day after the incident, if it hadn't been for the warning lamp, she would prob have never known it until it was almost flat - at least some good news!

I had exactly the same on my car a couple of weeks ago, piece of wire through the shoulder where it meets the tread tyre was only 6 months old too. :( Changed it for a new one as I would rather be safe than sorry.

Probably a correct diagnosis.
If you google "tyre punctures", there are a couple of useful sites that tell you precisely what is and is not permitted.
I've recently had a couple of "unrepairable" punctures in what were otherwise good tyres.

When I got my SL as an 'approved used' car the M-B Tier 1 warranty covered punctures. I would check the small print of yours on the outside chance you may be able to claim the cost back.

Thanks for all the tips. Bill, I did wonder about using the Mobilo emergency service, as there is some reference to punctures, but as she was at home I wasn't sure it applied. I will check the warranty though. I did ring the service dept at the supplying dealer, they also quoted £135, but didn't have the correct Bridgestone in stock.

You should not repair a puncture that is not within the centre 75% of the tyre..

It really depends where it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom