Purchase Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Denis O

Car
SL350 R230
It's been many years since I've been on here. Way back when I had my R129. I'm now looking to get back into Mercedes and the CLK350 has caught my eye so I need some advice as to how to proceed.

I've done some reading on here and looking around I like the idea of a sport. There was 1 on eBay which had all sorts of AMG bits on; calipers, wheels, SS exhaust, boot badge. Are these likely to be factory fit or aftermarket stick ons. A picture is attached and there is also an AMG badge on the boot.

This car seems to be well appointed; 6 CD player, keyless start/entry, FMDSH, Nav, premium sound and more. The colour combination of black with light cream leather looks particularly nice. Apart from photos I don't know about condition so can't comment.

Assuming it's in good order, I reckon I could buy it at around £6500. It's got 106k on the clock so would that be a reasonable price. When live on eBay, it had an opening bid of £5995 but didn't get any bids at all.

So what do you experts think and is there anything particular I need to look at. I did see something about timing gears?? on certain engine numbers. Would this be an issue for a 2005 facelift car.

Thanks for all your help to come.

I'm not an expert on these cars at all, but if it's a clk350, the fact someone's put 5.5 amg badges on the side would put me right off!

I did see something about timing gears?? on certain engine numbers. Would this be an issue for a 2005 facelift car.

Potentially yes, you would need to get the engine number and check it against the ranges given on post #2 of this thread:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/137229-complete-m272-engine-thread.html

As already mentioned the "5.5" badging clearly indicates the car has had some cosmetic "improvements".

Well, some of those parts will have come with the "sport" option; callipers, alloys, exhaust, bodykit (although not a "Black Series" or whatever it might currently have), suspension, and interior trim (in aluminium).

As above, you might want to check the engine number... or be like me and roll the dice knowing it's in the range for a dodgy balance shaft sprocket. - 2005 is almost certainly in the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom