Purchase\Spec Advice for weekend please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cbenz

Hiya!

Following in Portzy's foot-steps (though not as grand a purchase as an SLK350!) , if all goes well I'll be ordering my C Class Sports Coupe this weekend.

Spec likely to be :-

C200 Kompressor Sports Coupe, SE Package, Evolution Sports Package, Chrome Package, Auto Transmission, Leather, Parktronic, Bi-Xenons and possibly tyre pressure monitor. Leather would be Black, Metallic paint would be Obsidian Black.

1) Any comments on spec like don't have that or do have that etc? I haven't specified Command or Phone stuff deliberately since I won't be using it for business, just to and from a fixed place of work.

2) How good is the standard MB alarm and do I need a Tracker? I don't live in a particularly high crime rate area, the car will be garaged at night and will be in a secure car park at work.

3) With the Bi-Xens, you can have the new 'cornering light function' enabled or disabled. This essentially works by using the foglamps and is activated or de-activated at the factory. According to MB Customer services :-

"In addition to the normal road illumination provided by the main headlamps, the cornering light function additionally activates the left-hand or right-hand
fog lamp when turning or cornering, with reference to direction indictor
operation, steering angle and speed. The special-design fog lamps, which produce a broader dispersion, give the driver a better view in the direction in which he or she is turning at junctions, on winding sections of road and on tight bends. Potential obstacles can be spotted earlier, thus preventing accidents. The function also proves very useful when maneaurving. In order not to disconcert the driver and other road users, the cornering light is dimmed up gradually. Under an ECE regulation, the maximum speed in which the cornering light is allowed to operate is 40 km/h. Manual operation of the fog lamp function by means of the exterior light switch is unchanged. In this case too, the modified design of the fog lamps provides better road illumination."

Do you think it is naff and people might think you are flashing them to let them out and therefore would not have it activated or would you have it activated as it is a free option with the Bi-Xens. Apparently it can only be activated\de-activated at the factory.

All comments appreciated!

Thank you :)

Sounds GREAT to me and I would go for the "cornering Function" personally for those dark back streets and country lanes - Ideal mate. :rock: :rock:

Thanks for the feedback Brian, appreciated. The only thing that bothers me about the 'cornering function' is perhaps it is a bit naff as it isn't the headlights moving but one of the fogs coming on as you go around a corner. Would people think it was odd\naff or perhaps even you were flashing them and pull out mistakenly??? Is it more trouble than it is worth?

Just seems funny that it is a no cost option and not included by default, just makes me wary!

Part of me says don't bother as I'm going from halogens to bi-xens so will have loads more light anyway :D whereas the other says have it, it's 'free'! :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm presuming it wouldn't affect resale either way?

don't forget the Panoramic sunroof .. it makes this car unique against the competition.

I saw a Sports Coupe in the showroom with the Artico (nco) man made leather today (code 168), and it looked great .. it even had the light grey stitching on the headrests. It makes a great contrast for a primarily all black interior. It really did not feel or look any different from another one which had black leather.

Also remember that you should be getting about 8% discount. Check at www.drivethedeal.com or www.carfile.net or www.broker4cars.co.uk or www.buyyourcar.co.uk for comparisons

C Class Coupe

I have often wondered why someone would buy a Coupe ( with all the hassle that goes with 2 doors) when the comparable 4dr C Class is only about a £1000 more. I am sorry but I see the Coupe in the same league as a BMW Compact versus the 3 series, ie, it looks stunted . I suspect the 4dr C Class would be easier to sell at any future date. I personally would prefer a less spec'd CLK than a Coupe ( and look at the depreciation on a CLK) if I was having 2 drs.

@c240sport97 - thanks for your feedback mate. I thought long and hard about the Pano roof but decided as I have climate I couldn't justify the extra £1000! The Artico does look good but what puts me off is how the 2 tone seats in essentially what is black and white may date??? Still have that niggle too that Mercs should have leather, but like you say, who could tell (apart from the black and white!)

Most of the brokers are offering about 5 - 6.5%, though have come across a couple who ventured up to 8% :D What Car Target Price is 5.5% off approx.

@I5foye - thanks for the issues you raise, they're valid and I've been over them in my head a few times! I don't have kids yet so don't need 4 doors so can sacrifice the 4 door practicality for the looks of the Coupe! I also think, with its rear hatch, that the Coupe boot is more practical. Having looked at car mag quoted residuals, the Coupe seems to hold value better than the saloon, presumably more of a niche product and fewer around?? I'm what might be termed a 'young' Merc buyer too and think when I come to sell, the car would appeal more to younger buyers than a saloon. Just my opinion! ;)

I'd go with you on the CLK, very nice car!!! However, far too big for what I'd need! The c200k C Coupe starts at £21830, the bottom CLK 200k starts at £28350, a difference of £6500! Also, my car with all the options is still over £1300 cheaper than the cheapest, barest, CLK 200K, which would have no leather, no auto, no metallic paint etc which you'd need to even make it acceptable. That would come to over £30k and still not have all the spec I have. If you didn't have leather, auto and metallic, no one would buy your CLK used so to be buying a CLK, you've really got to spend a minimum of £30k inmho! I think the C Coupe and CLK are in different leagues. You can't really get a CLK for C Coupe money, not even a stripped out one (unless of course you buy used, but that is another arguement!) ;)

Just for comparison ... my mate got a C200K SC Auto about 20 months ago for about £25k. I just sold it yesterday for £17800. Not bad!! It had 7900 miles, Evo Panaroma, black heated leather seats and was black metallic.

cbenz said:
Having looked at car mag quoted residuals, the Coupe seems to hold value better than the saloon, presumably more of a niche product and fewer around?? I'm what might be termed a 'young' Merc buyer too and think when I come to sell, the car would appeal more to younger buyers than a saloon. Just my opinion! ;)

cbenz said:
Thanks for the feedback Brian, appreciated. The only thing that bothers me about the 'cornering function' is perhaps it is a bit naff as it isn't the headlights moving but one of the fogs coming on as you go around a corner. Would people think it was odd\naff or perhaps even you were flashing them and pull out mistakenly??? Is it more trouble than it is worth?

Just seems funny that it is a no cost option and not included by default, just makes me wary!

Part of me says don't bother as I'm going from halogens to bi-xens so will have loads more light anyway :D whereas the other says have it, it's 'free'! :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm presuming it wouldn't affect resale either way?

Go for it, as you say it is free and you don't "have to use it". As you say the Bi-Xenons don't need much assistance but what the heck. :cool:

Hi Brian - the only prob is once it is activated at the factory that is it, it will always come on when you corner with your headlights on, it can't apparently be de-activated! You're stuck with it!

I wonder what the boys in blue think of it, technically driving with a fog light on, albeit for a short distance? :confused: Must be legal???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom