Purchasing A180 CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jupiter2step

Car
S211 E220 CDI Avantagarde
Wife is looking for a new (used) car and is keen on the A-class.

She's spotted a A180 CDI on an 08 plate that she likes. 49k.

A quick search of the forum reveals that CVR auto gearboxes (which I assume are the only type of gearboxes on this car?) can be unreliable. I really don't want a huge bill down the line!

Some of the comments seem to suggest that most of the problems arose in some of the earlier models.

Can anyone give me an indication of whether they are becoming more commonplace on 08+ cars?

From what I gather the auto gear boxes are much more reliable in the later models of the cars.

From the forum posts i've seen, they are referring to older models of the A Class.

But on the side of the A class, its a lovely car. I had one for two years from Feb 2011 until Jan 2013 and I loved every minute of it. It's a very nippy car.

Cant really go wrong in my eyes! :)

Dont know exactly the age and model that caused a Mobile mechanic Friend / customer of mine to say he will never entertain working on the A class ever again. He had just had a customer require of him to change the fan belt - he said it was an absolute nightmare job also stating other routine type work would be similarly difficult ie Starter motor - alternator . This is the same bloke that loves Mercs and has owned many .

I've got a 57 plate B180 CDi with the CVT box, and not wishing to tempt fate, have had no problems with it so far. It is, however, different to any other auto box I've had. Under braking going down hill, it will change down and offer engine braking assist, a nice touch.

Last edited:
I've got A180 CDI 57 50k miles 2.0D manual, pleasure to drive and spacious inside, but very noisy when on idle especially when cold engine and it looks like most of them have this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom