Purchasing advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Liamchampdog

Hi I have previously posted once on this website and received one reply which without being rude was no help at all although I was pleased someone replied.
I need some guidance as I really want to buy a SL350 or 500 year 2004-2005 with low miles. However I have had the cash for two months now and have not bought. This is because I have read lots and lots of reviews and warranty direct advice sites which show that the model I like has numerous design faults which can all lead to expensive repairs. I details some of those faults as rain running into the boot causing the roofs power pump to fail £1000 plus to repair. rain into the back of the doors causing the electrics to fail. warranty direct state this model as one of the top 5 vehicles coming into them for repair with an average repair cost of 600£ - 700£.
can anyone tell me their own experiences or advice otherwise it's going to be a Carrerra 4s same year but a lot more expensive. But I just loved the Sl when I tested the model.
Richard

........ This is because I have read lots and lots of reviews and warranty direct advice sites which show that the model I like has numerous design faults which can all lead to expensive repairs. I details some of those faults as rain running into the boot causing the roofs power pump to fail £1000 plus to repair. rain into the back of the doors causing the electrics to fail. warranty direct state this model as one of the top 5 vehicles coming into them for repair with an average repair cost of 600£ - 700£...........

it appears your research has answered your own question

I indeed spent 6 months pondering over the purchase of either a mercedes, a Lexus or a range rover, I eventually selected a 54 s-class with only 70k and full merc service history, if you want my honest advice, for god sake don't buy a merc unless you have money to burn, not a day goes buy where I don't have a problem or and error message, this is my 28th car and I've had everything from £200-£35000 and this is the most unreliable car I have ever owned, if I hadn't wasted money initially on LPG conv and AMG alloys I would have got rid of it and bought a Lexus instead, I hear the SLs are even worse!! Best of luck with your decision...

I would have to say that - based on my own experience and that of close friends & family - that running a Merc is no more or less problematic or expensive than any other 'premium' brand. I'm on my second CLK - a 2004 500 - and it's a daily joy. I've had the thing a year and - apart from tyres - it's cost me nothing (seriously) & is worth as much today as the day I bought it. A buddy has a brand new Jaguar and it's in the dealers more frequently than the Regional Manager...... Research the model you like, find a dealer you trust and take the plunge - the cash is worth precisely diddly-squit in your bank account and summer is coming .....!

Yeah I would to some extent agree like any car there are good ones and bad ones, I made the mistake (if you call it that) of buying a low miler thinking it would mean less problems but after taking it to merc the technician said it looks like its been a chauffeur car (wear on drivers and nsr seats only) and as a result unlikely to have used the sports setting on the AIRMATIC. after a month I'm looking at, at least a new pump. My friend did have a 59 range rover and they couldn't even diagnose a dodgy maf for him. I think if reliability is a big issue though no one can argue lexus is the way to go...

I have a SL350 (03) In 60k miles I have had to replace 2 rear shocks (£375-
thank goodness it doesn't have ABC) and a central locking pump (I was lucky to get a new one for £400) That is the total extent of replacement parts -servicing has been quite cheap due to large mileage intervals. The sheer driving pleasure is second to none. It has the rare combination of speed and comfort unlike many cars. I recently drove an Audi R8 -it was like sitting in a go-kart. The Porsche 911 is likewise. Water leaking into the boot is quite common but avoidable (check seals and treat frequently)- and waterproof central locking pump. I have not heard of water leaking at doors. My advice is 'go for it' but check car carefully -get printout from dealer which will give you virtually the whole history. Mine did not cost Mercedes a penny during the warranty period .

Yeah I would to some extent agree like any car there are good ones and bad ones, I made the mistake (if you call it that) of buying a low miler thinking it would mean less problems but after taking it to merc the technician said it looks like its been a chauffeur car (wear on drivers and nsr seats only) and as a result unlikely to have used the sports setting on the AIRMATIC. after a month I'm looking at, at least a new pump. My friend did have a 59 range rover and they couldn't even diagnose a dodgy maf for him. I think if reliability is a big issue though no one can argue lexus is the way to go...

Lexus every time if you want reliable trouble free motoring, although I am not anticipating any trouble on my Recently acquired CLS, my Lexus RX is now at 115,000 miles and over the past 60,000 miles that we have owned the car it has had just an oxygen sensor replaced and the usual service items like pads and a set of front discs, I can honestly say it has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

But the Merc is a lovely car to drive also,we will see about the running costs?

I don't think it will depreciate much more than it has done. Maybe £1k a year?

Hi I have previously posted once on this website and received one reply which without being rude was no help at all although I was pleased someone replied.
I need some guidance as I really want to buy a SL350 or 500 year 2004-2005 with low miles. However I have had the cash for two months now and have not bought. This is because I have read lots and lots of reviews and warranty direct advice sites which show that the model I like has numerous design faults which can all lead to expensive repairs. I details some of those faults as rain running into the boot causing the roofs power pump to fail £1000 plus to repair. rain into the back of the doors causing the electrics to fail. warranty direct state this model as one of the top 5 vehicles coming into them for repair with an average repair cost of 600£ - 700£.
can anyone tell me their own experiences or advice otherwise it's going to be a Carrerra 4s same year but a lot more expensive. But I just loved the Sl when I tested the model.
Richard

I too was in the same boat as you and read the horror stories etc. etc. but in the end thought what the hell and purchased a 2005 SL55.

The two big ones I know of are the roof seals maybe should be replaced as a precaution and the ABC system could be costly (not an issue on non-ABC SLs obviously), but apart from those two issues nothing else I read about seemed that bad..... or should I say no worse than any other expensive car in terms of faults, running costs etc.

I had a Jag before and that was uber reliable, but I know of many people who have had a bad time with them.... I guess it really is luck of the draw.

I think it comes down to the old adage. The car may cost sub £20K but it still has the running costs of a £75K-£100K car. If you can't afford those you probably shouldn't buy one. That sounds a bit condescending, but it's not meant to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom