Purchasing advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris_J

Car
C220 CDi Coupe
Hi all, I'm looking to purchase a 2nd hand Merc today/tomorrow, which I have test driven and done the figures on etc. Is it the norm that Mercedes will tax the car for 12 months and service it?
Would it also be unreasonable to ask for a phone cradle for my Nokia to fit the hand free kit?

Chris_J said:
Hi all, I'm looking to purchase a 2nd hand Merc today/tomorrow, which I have test driven and done the figures on etc. Is it the norm that Mercedes will tax the car for 12 months and service it?
Would it also be unreasonable to ask for a phone cradle for my Nokia to fit the hand free kit?

Unless stated otherwise the tax will probably be 6 months.

If your car is being purchased as an approved used car through
the MB AUC scheme then you won't have to service the car for
3000 miles. So if a service was due within this mileage they will have
serviced it. You can ask to see the service booklet and if the
car has Assyst then you can get them to show you how long
to the next service.

As for the phone cradle that depends on what the situation is
between you and the dealer and the aspects of the deal.
Ask for it.

If this is a relatively new car (around a year old) it is likely
that the car has been disposed of just before its first service
so it will have been serviced. It is also reasonably likely that
if it is about a year then it will have been returned to MB
after being in a hire fleet, or leased to a company under
a contract hire plan.

It's a 54 plate registered in September 04. There's nearly 25k on the clock, but I don't know what the servicing schedule is.

Chris_J said:

Those that dont ask dont get worth a try.

gary

Chris_J said:
It's a 54 plate registered in September 04. There's nearly 25k on the clock, but I don't know what the servicing schedule is.

The servicing schedule varies because the Assyst feature tells you
when it thinks the car is due for a service. So if the service interval
is nominally 9000 you may find that the car doesn't actually demand
a service until say 11500. So seeing a car with 18K with a 9K interval
could mean it's had one service and is 5K short of its second or could
mean that it's had two services.

So you need to phone the dealer and ask to make sure what the
position is.

Chris

Having been in sales since Moses was a lad....

Salespeople are trained to recognise (and hopefully act upon) buying signals. So if you are ready to buy and say something like "the only thing stopping me is the lack of a phone cradle for my phone" he should jump on that and say "if we can sort a cradle can I have your order?"

Up to you then to be resolute that you will give him the order if he throws in the cradle.

And bear in mind the old sales maxim - "whoever speaks first loses" So when you have asked him just shut up and let him speak first - even if it takes a while!!

Let m know how you get on

Make sure the dealership has FULLY complied with the terms and conditions of the 'Multi-Point Check I have no idea what type of vehicle you intend buying, but Mercedes-Benz are getting very strict about making sure any repairs have been carried out by an authorised agent. Please, please ask the sales person if the vehicle has had ANY accident repairs and get them to acknowledge this.

Make sure you get the technicians check sheet as stated in their literature. Check EVERY single electronic gadget and under NO circumstances listen to, or accept any excuse. If something doesn't work, get it fixed before parting with your money.

I love our Mercedes-Benz and would recommend one without hesitation, BUT......... I would be a stickler for making sure the car was as good as the supposed reputation ;)

Good luck and do NOT be in a rush,
John

glojo said:
Make sure the dealership has FULLY complied with the terms and conditions of the 'Multi-Point Check I have no idea what type of vehicle you intend buying, but Mercedes-Benz are getting very strict about making sure any repairs have been carried out by an authorised agent. Please, please ask the sales person if the vehicle has had ANY accident repairs and get them to acknowledge this.

Make sure you get the technicians check sheet as stated in their literature. Check EVERY single electronic gadget and under NO circumstances listen to, or accept any excuse. If something doesn't work, get it fixed before parting with your money.
In practicality terms the dealer probably doesn't know the full history
of the car to the extent that you would like. If the car has ever had
work done at an non-authorised dealer there will be no record of it
within MB's system.

As for checking every gadget and feature -- this can be quite hard
to do as well if you want to check everything (eg. SBC modes and
cruise control). So in practical terms make a check list before you
go based on the obvious stuff and then go through the manual
and learn about the other stuff over the first few days.

An approved car is under warranty for a year and
if things are really not right then MB offer an exhange in
the first 30 days/1000 miles.

glojo said:
Good luck and do NOT be in a rush,
Definitely.

Dryce said:
In practicality terms the dealer probably doesn't know the full history
of the car to the extent that you would like.

If you are a regularly reader of this forum you will hasve seen the post where a member found rust on his car. He took it to a Mercedes-Benz dealer to get the necessary repairs carried out under the mobilio warranty, but they were refused because the vehicle had been repaired by an unauthorised agent.

If they can do this, then they can check the car prior to sale.

There has also been numerous posts about buyers having problems with numerous gadgets that have failed to work, but when they return the vehicle, the dealer merely states they could not find the fault.

;) I have offered my advice, and stand by it. Even Mercedes-Benz offer the Technicians report saying that these things have been checked (including the bodywork)

If the customer is not forewarned, then they are not fore-armed.

John

glojo said:
If you are a regularly reader of this forum you will hasve seen the post where a member found rust on his car. He took it to a Mercedes-Benz dealer to get the necessary repairs carried out under the mobilio warranty, but they were refused because the vehicle had been repaired by an unauthorised agent.

If they can do this, then they can check the car prior to sale.
It's a good point.

In practical terms it doesn't happen. People don't put the effort
or time in until it comes to putting out money (hence the Mobilo
type dispute some time down the line).

My guess is that even if the car comes through MB it gets just
a cursory check, service if within 3000 miles, quick kick of the
tyres and they tick off all the boxes. Then if the car gets to
a dealer they just flog it on on the basis of the paperwork that
they are given.

To provide the car with a fully warranted history the dealer
(or MB direct) would have to make the previous owner do the
same thing (how happy would a second or subsequent owner
be to carry the liability can in the chain) or take on the liability
directly (ie. raise prices).

Dryce said:
It's a good point.

In practical terms it doesn't happen. People don't put the effort
or time in until it comes to putting out money (hence the Mobilo
type dispute some time down the line).

Hi Dryce,
:) I can fully understand where your coming from, but Mercedes-Benz have a policy that they have put in writing..... Hence the link that I supplied in my first post (have you read it?)

I totally accept that in the real world a dealer might fail to comply with the terms and conditions that are clearly laid down by the manufacturer. Totally accept it. But should the customer simply shrug their shoulders and accept this service that is in clear violation of the literature?

Please understand that I am NOT talking about a second-hand car dealer that is solely selling any make, type, or brand of vehicle. I am only talking about cars sold by Mercedes-Benz dealers that are obliged to follow the conditions I have highlighted. I repeat.

I am not talking about independant type second-hand car dealers.

Regards,
John

Thanks for the advice guys, all much appreciated. Gollom, I like the "who speaks first loses" damn good advice.

glojo said:
Hi Dryce,
:) I can fully understand where your coming from, but Mercedes-Benz have a policy that they have put in writing..... Hence the link that I supplied in my first post (have you read it?)
I did read the link, thanks. I've checked this stuff out before
because we've bought two MB cars in the last 18 months
covered by this scheme.

What exactly is in writing? Very little. It implies quite a bit but
actually promises not a lot. The vehicle exchange bit refers to
Ts & Cs that I've never managed to find on the site. Saying
they check things but not what the pass/fail/fix criteria are
doesn't bind them to much and leaves a lot to trust. The only
part that is really meaningful is the check on DVLA/finance
details and that a dealer would do anyway if they were buying
in the vehicle to protect themselves.

So it leaves a lot to trust in the dealer and MB.

My view on used car warranties is that they cover everything except anything that goes wrong. :D

In other words, make sure everything is as it should be before you part with your cash.

I've traded in two cars in my life and neither got anything more than a very cursory check (I guess that trade in prices allow for such a high margin that the odd growler doesn't really matter to the dealer).

Gollom's point about buy signals is very revealing. Once the salesman has twigged that you really want the car, you're screwed. I made a mistake once with my first car purchase when the salesman was rude to me when I pointed out some accident damage repair - I still bought the car because I was impatient when I should have told him to get screwed. The moral being always be ready to walk if there's ANYTHING you don't like, there's always another car out there. The salesman needs the sale more than you do - if he doesn't sell, he doesn't eat!

And don't forget to ask for a full tank of fuel;).

Chris_J said:

Screw the salesman to the floor, I sell prestige holiday homes and have some very demanding customers...when you reach the point of "I am not sure I can do anymore , I will have to speak to my boss" you know you are nailing his profit margin and if he uses the pick up the old phone and talk to no one technique ask for the sales director to come chat to you.

I bought my MB 10 days ago and the below was all included before the sales doirector came out and said sorry sir that is the best we can do, I then payed up.:devil:

Trim repair centre console where old phone cradle was
stone chips on wing
new car mats MB originals not cheapo rubber jobbies
service A
12 months tax
free fuel
complimentary flowers for my missus on collection
full valet

Last edited:
:p
Gollom said:
Chris

Having been in sales since Moses was a lad....

Salespeople are trained to recognise (and hopefully act upon) buying signals. So if you are ready to buy and say something like "the only thing stopping me is the lack of a phone cradle for my phone" he should jump on that and say "if we can sort a cradle can I have your order?"

Up to you then to be resolute that you will give him the order if he throws in the cradle.

And bear in mind the old sales maxim - "whoever speaks first loses" So when you have asked him just shut up and let him speak first - even if it takes a while!!

Let m know how you get on

I like this advice and can offer you some more which has always worked for me - when you have got to around your price and are pushing the salesperson (but not quite where you want to be), casually get out your cheque book, open it and place it on the desk in front of you. Keep the rapport going and then when appropriate ask for your final price/extra/whatever. If the salesperson in anyway hums and hahs, just pick your cheque book up and start to put it away, sending a very clear visual signal. When I've done this the salesperson has invariably gone off to see the boss and come back and agreed my offer/request!

Its all mind games at the end of the day isn't it? :p

CLK320Vert said:
Trim repair centre console where old phone cradle was
stone chips on wing
new car mats MB originals not cheapo rubber jobbies
service A
12 months tax
free fuel
complimentary flowers for my missus on collection
full valet

Good points,
I amazed that the dealer was actually displaying a car that had not been valetted, had a damaged console and perhaps the stone chips???

The complimentary flowers seems to be going out of fashion. It is a small gesture which some buyers appreciate.

Bye for now,
John

Didn't do too badly, but not quite as well as I'd hoped. It's going to be serviced, and I got the phone cradle, but there is only tax on the car until the end of August. Also getting scratches sorted, which are quite minor bar one.

I've been given £14k for my 05 CTR with 13,000 on the clock, which I think is pretty good.

Forgot to say, thanks for the advice guys it's all much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom