Purchasing an SL55...inspection tips!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PHAB

Car
1999 SL600 Sport
Hi everyone, first post so go easy on me!

I am in the throws of purchasing an SL55. I'm past the umming and erring stage about it...the potential financial ruin...the potential confrontations with Her Majesty's police force and the potential mockery for driving a topless two seater. I currently drive a very well cared for Audi S5 and have done for 5 years....and I need a change.

SO.

My budget is £20k and for that I am hoping to get a 2003-2005 sub 50,000 miler with as few owners as possible and full history. I will not consider a car without full history so please take this as given. I am competent mechanically speaking so please be as technical as you like with your advice. Ive done a bit of homework and it seems the ABC suspension is a nightmare and there is a good chance of the roof leaking if not properly cared for.

In addition to the checks I would give any used car im buying, I am going to check thoroughly for any hydraulic leaks around the shock absorbers and will check the colour of the ABC fluid but is there anything else I should check for on the ABC? Im also worried about lower ball joint wear which necessitates new shocks....is there any way to detect this (when driving?)?

I know boot needs checking for water ingress and foam jacket around ABC pump too.

Aside from the above is there anything else that someone buying an SL55 or indeed any used R230 should check (other than their own sanity:doh:!)?

Thanks very much in advance!:bannana:

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I can't help you in this instance but there will be many along later that will I'm sure.

Regards

Paul

Hi and Welcome,

Loads of threads on the forum on buying a R230 SL55, suggest you do a search, just note with the leaky boot water destroys the PSE pump which is £1k plus job...ABC strut replacement will cost you £1500 per corner so critical you get any car up on a ramp...although there is a US option now via ebay were you can buy refurbed struts at around £600 I think..

Great cars but can be money pits, only buy a 'cherished example' with full history that's been cared for....wait and do not rush into any sale.

Due to complexity I strongly suggest you also get a local recommended MB Indy to inspect any car, they normally charge about 1-2 hours labour, very worthwhile especially during negotiations....plus you get piece of mind.

If you have not already done so have a look at this, some good info...:thumb:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/179121-help-should-my-next-sl-600-bi-turbo.html

PH buying guide: Mercedes SL55 AMG - PistonHeads

Try not to listen to all of the above as there are alternatives to the shocks and other fixes for the car that are now common place. The ABC fluid will most likely be dark on these cars by now so I would suggest budgeting to change this yourself or get an indy to do it. If I were you I'd be looking at service history, overall condition, work done, brake life, tyres etc. Whereabouts are you based as there maybe a member willing to give up some time to help you look one over?

Try and not listen to 'known' R230 issues...great advice:wallbash:

Did you actually read my post? Surely that would form part of any inspection checks during any R230 purchase....IMHO I totally disagree, I did mention the US alternative to ABC struts replacement...

For the record I did own a W215 CL with ABC, never had any probs, but I did get it up on a ramp before I bought and got my local indy to give it a clean bill of health:thumb:

Try not to listen to all of the above as there are alternatives to the shocks and other fixes for the car that are now common place.

Well done for taking that post personally. The OP has already stated that he's done his homework (did you actually read his post) so i was advising him of the other areas that are easy to consider and look for.

The roof leaking is potentially the most painful so maybe thats the easiest check? You'll need top remove the boot floor panel and inspect for water underneath.

Last edited:
I didn't take it personally pal...maybe crossed wires between us, no pun intended:thumb:

PHAB I think you have covered the basics and a bit more. Strikes me that you are going in with your eyes open. Follow your own planned checks with the tips above and you are unlikely to go wrong.
Enjoy the search and enjoy the car more.

I would recommend an inspection by a dealer or independent especially on a car like that.

If you buy it from a trader you will have some comeback if it ends up being a nail. Get it inspected anyway after the sale.

Central Locking can give up as the main control unit sits low down in the boot where it gets wet....expensive.

Remember that a lower ball joint on the front will require a new ABC strut as its an integral unit.

Water leaks in the interior due to the folding roof seals.....check behind the front seats.

One easy way to determine how well its been looked after is the tyres, if the tyres are Conti, Pirelli or possibly Dunlop (may be wrong) that's good, any budget or medium makes means money has been skimped as you don't skimp on tyres with this car.
Mine had Yokos on the back and at great cost I changed them as they squirmed alarmingly under hard acceleration all (bushes checked).

In 2 years of my 2004 I never had any issues apart from a parking sensor - they don't all fall apart.

We have had two in recently.

Bills were £5200 and £5500. They are not cheap to fix!

We had one in today. £1500. Its the parts cost that bumps it up.

We have had two in recently.

Bills were £5200 and £5500. They are not cheap to fix!

We had one in today. £1500. Its the parts cost that bumps it up.

Could you tell me what you fixed in the £5200 and £5500 bills?

Guys thanks very much for all the advice...I must admit I am beginning to think I am a bit crazy for considering the SL55 even though the current owner has absolutely assured me the car is mechanically sound, wants for nothind and it also looks like its been loved. Sacrilege I know but would I be a lot better off going for a 2007 (thus ABC II) SL500 (388bhp) and leaving the AMG 55 for those with bottomless pockets to run them? I can barely find a single positive post about them running costs wise.....:(

Also I am aware of the lower ball joint issue and the resulting strut replacement...is there any way of detecting a worn ball joint in driving or inspection without dismantling the front suspension!?

Don't be put off...if you find a good un they are amazing cars...as above bide your time, you know the main concern areas, get it inspected pre-sale (no brainer imho:thumb:)

Could you tell me what you fixed in the £5200 and £5500 bills?

Guys thanks very much for all the advice...I must admit I am beginning to think I am a bit crazy for considering the SL55 even though the current owner has absolutely assured me the car is mechanically sound, wants for nothind and it also looks like its been loved. Sacrilege I know but would I be a lot better off going for a 2007 (thus ABC II) SL500 (388bhp) and leaving the AMG 55 for those with bottomless pockets to run them? I can barely find a single positive post about them running costs wise.....:(

Also I am aware of the lower ball joint issue and the resulting strut replacement...is there any way of detecting a worn ball joint in driving or inspection without dismantling the front suspension!?

I'd agree with David above. Inspection is paramount...........but when you do find the right one, you'll not regret it.
As for running costs, sure they like a drink, but look upon that as a trade off for warp speed acceleration and smiles per gallon.

OP it's a near supercar you can't get it sorted on the cheap, it has suspension that will last maybe 10 years ish if that's not acceptable pay £50k for a SL63 or £18k plus maybe £3/4k you won't easily get one that needs nothing - but hundreds of happy owners don't post "no bills this month" on forums only the ones that get a bill make it public.

One easy way to determine how well its been looked after is the tyres, if the tyres are Conti, Pirelli or possibly Dunlop (may be wrong) that's good, any budget or medium makes means money has been skimped as you don't skimp on tyres with this car.
Mine had Yokos on the back and at great cost I changed them as they squirmed alarmingly under hard acceleration all (bushes checked).

In 2 years of my 2004 I never had any issues apart from a parking sensor - they don't all fall apart.

Don't totally go by the tyre thing though.

The seller may have always used premium tyres and came close to / did fail an MOT. Why would you put premium rubber on it if you are selling it?

PHAB said:
Could you tell me what you fixed in the £5200 and £5500 bills? Guys thanks very much for all the advice...I must admit I am beginning to think I am a bit crazy for considering the SL55 even though the current owner has absolutely assured me the car is mechanically sound, wants for nothind and it also looks like its been loved. Sacrilege I know but would I be a lot better off going for a 2007 (thus ABC II) SL500 (388bhp) and leaving the AMG 55 for those with bottomless pockets to run them? I can barely find a single positive post about them running costs wise.....:( Also I am aware of the lower ball joint issue and the resulting strut replacement...is there any way of detecting a worn ball joint in driving or inspection without dismantling the front suspension!?
Mostly suspension work. Lower ball joints are inexpensive to replace and easy to check with a lever bar or grips.

The strut joints are expensive as they come with the struts. £1204 each..... Plus vat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom