Purchasing Engine Oil from Ebay/Amazon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanisMajoris

Car
W140 S600
Hello all,

I want to change the oil + oil filter in my W211 OM642 engine and currently have 0.5 litres of Petronas Syntium 5000 DM left over from my last oil change. I'm looking to purchase the following off eBay, add this with my left over oil totaling 8.5 litres.

It appears as though 8L for £48.99 is an absolute steal, further more, 10L is going for £49.99 which is even more baffling. Seller reviews appear excellent so other than the price I have little to doubt the authenticity of the oil.

My question is, is this too good to be true or is that price about right?

Many thanks!

I but all my oil from Pipercross on Ebay, I use Fuchs Titan Flex 23 and its approved for Mercedes 229.51 and 229.31.

I but all my oil from Pipercross on Ebay, I use Fuchs Titan Flex 23 and its approved for Mercedes 229.51 and 229.31.
Ah ok good to know another forum user has experience with them.

229.51 has been superseded by 229.52 which is what I'm looking to use. Unfortunately there is no 5w40 weight oil with the .52 spec so I'll stick with the 5w30 now that winter is on its way.

Thank you

If .52 is a similar price use that as it ace's the fuel economy .
That's exactly what I used at my last oil change. Max fuel economy I ever saw was 45MPG on the motorway, but typical average is somewhere between 40 & 42 running between 65-80mph.

I wonder if any aftermarket oil, e.g. Fuchs, Shell etc, is any better or worse than Mercs own branded oil ?
My Mercs service history said my oil was always Shell Helix.

I wonder if any aftermarket oil, e.g. Fuchs, Shell etc, is any better or worse than Mercs own branded oil ?
My Mercs service history said my oil was always Shell Helix.
Mercedes don't make their own rather they have Mobil/Petronas/Shell manufacture the oil and just slap on the MB logo.
Petronas oil is currently the oil being promoted by MB. I suppose that ties in with the F1 sponsorship of the Mercedes AMG team.

Mercedes don't make their own rather they have Mobil/Petronas/Shell manufacture the oil and just slap on the MB logo.
Petronas oil is currently the oil being promoted by MB. I suppose that ties in with the F1 sponsorship of the Mercedes AMG team.
Having said that, Motul, LiquiMoly, Fuchs & other European branded oils are highly regarded. Typically with the OM642 engine it is best to use the weight MB originally designed it for, being 5W-40.

Better lubricity for the moving parts, longer lasting life for the engine. Although now MB release 0W-20 oil for their newer OM656 inline 6 diesels, they probably dont expect their later vehicles to be driven 200+k miles anymore.

I understand Mercedes dont make their oil, but if it meets the required spec, is there any point in using a more expensive oil with glamorous claims, Mobil 1 for instance Mercedes-Benz motor oil | Mobil 1™

I understand Mercedes dont make their oil, but if it meets the required spec, is there any point in using a more expensive oil with glamorous claims, Mobil 1 for instance Mercedes-Benz motor oil | Mobil 1™
Some claims are exaggerated no doubt and the cost/performance ratio is not justifiable if your oil change intervals are every 5k miles or so.

But yes some brands have better wear and evaporation properties than others. One YouTuber by the name of Project Farm does fairly decent testing on various oils and some oils do indeed out perform others in certain areas. However, in the grand scheme of things it's probably not worth the additional £/L provided it does meet the required spec.

Lidl has a variety of Petronas oil at the moment . £7.99 a litre I think, handy for top ups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom