Purple Parcel Shelf Restoration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeterE320Cdi

Car
C219 CLS 320 CDi, R170 SLK 230K, XC60 Past Cars: S210 E320 CDi rusty, CLK 240, S210 E300 DT
I thought I would have a go at recolouring the parcel shelf from my CLK as it has been bleached a nasty purple colour by the sun.

First thing I tried was the speaker covers.

Using Auto Glym Black Dye

I think it looks good but I used the whole can on 1 speaker cover and half the parcel shelf so will now have to order a 2nd can so I can finish them off.

Will post further pictures in a few days when they are finished.

That looks really good.

I recall Ed China doing something similar, changing a grey 205 parcel shelf to black.

After a day drying out I was disappointed to see that it looks purple again :doh:, I have already ordered the 2nd can of dye so will try it and post pictures of the final finish.

Has anyone else done this with good result? If so what dye did you use?

I would have thought regular fabric dye or even black ink would work well. You need more liquid to get the dye to penetrate.

Ed china used a can of acrylic black spray paint, to paint the parcel shelve, By all accounts it actually works very well

3rd time almost lucky!!

The supplier had sold out so I did not get the second can of dye.

I tried shoe polish instead with the same result, looked great when first done but purple again when dried.

Decided to try the matt black acrylic paint. I used one can and the speaker covers looked ok

but the coverage on the parcel shelf was poor.

I bought a second can, got impatient with the poor coverage, plastered loads of it on and managed to get some wet areas with far too much paint which has dried with a shiney look.

Worst patch is on the left of the right speaker cover as it is visible in the rearview mirror

I will keep my eyes open for a good one from a breakers but at least they are no longer purple!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom