Purple striped wire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

I am fitting sat nav into my brothers W124 E-class. I need to find the elusive speed pulse. I have found a wire behind the radio that is purple with a lighter purple stripe.....could this be the speed pulse???

Secondly does the APS30 have telephone mute??? If so what pin is it.

Regards

Tan

Hmmm, no, on the W124, the speed pulse is either green and black stripe, or a black wire.

What year is the vehicle?

The purple sounds like it could be the illumination feed, but that's normally a blue/grey thinking bout it now

V12 said:
Hmmm, no, on the W124, the speed pulse is either green and black stripe, or a black wire.

What year is the vehicle?

The purple sounds like it could be the illumination feed, but that's normally a blue/grey thinking bout it now

The car is 1994 E220.

I'm new to this forum, but I'm wondering how many "experts" are dealing with information here ...

The speed pulse on a W124 can be found at the back of the cluster instrument if the car was equipped with tempomat.

In older cars it might be necessary to retrofit the missing "hallgeber" on the instrument to make it available.

You got to it before I deleted it then ? Its my version of subliminal angry messaging :D

Last edited:
Mozzer said:
You got to it before I deleted it then ? Its my version of subliminal angry messaging :D

nothing I disagreed with ;) :D

I'm sure I read something slightly inflamatory on here earlier but when I came back it was mysteriously gone! ;)

megacomm, it was not JUST fitted to later models, all cars with ABS and/or cruise control had it...even from 85.

On a 1994 he should be able to find a speed pulse feed behind the radio anyway...i'm sure that was one of the changes made to the facelift vehicles in 1993.

If not, pop the cluster out and just splice a feed from the little pack that fits right next to the speedo cable itself, its the one single bigger pin that you want to tak a feed from, not the two pin one.

Also bolted to the bulkhead is a speed pulse distribution block, the feed from the back of the speedo head goes to this, then this feeds systems such as the ABS and cruise etc.

You can find this by pulling out your cluster and it will be slightly to the right as far back as you can see...Plastic housing, with 6 big seperated pins on.

Ricky

Ok, had a quick look on my travels at a 95 E220,

No speed pulse at the radio, and no speed pulse distribution behind the speedo cluster either...

The feed from the back of the speedo is a green wire with a yellow stripe, insulated in a black tube...

a 94 E280 did have the distribution block though...seems because this had cruise as well as ABS...

HTH

It doesn't help the subject, so sorry Tan, BUT

Mozzer said:
Retracted - can't be bothered

Thought you made a fair point in a controlled fashion to be honest. Only my opinion, not those of the moderators as a whole (as far as I am aware it was not even an issue requiring moderation).

Cheers Graham, I could just see it turning into "my dad's bigger than your dad" and I realised by the time I had written the first post, that life is just toooooo short - probably just a language thing anyway. ;)

S

V12 said:
Ok, had a quick look on my travels at a 95 E220,

No speed pulse at the radio, and no speed pulse distribution behind the speedo cluster either...

The feed from the back of the speedo is a green wire with a yellow stripe, insulated in a black tube...

a 94 E280 did have the distribution block though...seems because this had cruise as well as ABS...

HTH

Hi Ricky

Did you happen notice if the E220 that you looked at had ABS or cruise??

We dont have cruise on ours but we do have ABS.

Regards

Tan

QUOTE [I'm new to this forum, but I'm wondering how many "experts" are dealing with information here ...]QUOTE

Lots usually .........

GrahamC230K said:
It doesn't help the subject, so sorry Tan, BUT

No worries.

The advise that I get from the forum members is very much appreciated...so I fully understand how people feel when someone has ago at it!!

Last edited:
It had ABS but no cruise mate :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom