Put my mind at ease, C63 reverse select

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

secondmerc

Car
C63 Coupe S
Could somebody please reassure me that if I accidentally select reverse from the stalk on the right hand side of the steering column at anything above virtually stationary, the box is not actually going to attempt to go into reverse!?

Putting aside what a stupid place for it to go it is, the problem is that I regularly drive 2 other vehicles both with the indicators right there. It's only a matter of time before I do it when turning left.

From the owner's handbook

Engaging reverse gear
Note

Depress the brake pedal.
Push the DIRECT SELECT lever up past the first point of resistance.

From the owner's handbook

Engaging reverse gear
Note

Depress the brake pedal.
Push the DIRECT SELECT lever up past the first point of resistance.

He could easily be braking when going for the indicators ?

Good question and one that scares the **** out of me. I've reached for it a few times whilst braking for a left turn and almost jumped into the back seat! The selector should be same as the a45. Small leaver which is positively for the gears and not an indicator/window wash wipe stalk.

Hi from memory, whilst on the move, the possible selections available are
marked with an arrow.

So you should not be able to select 'R' from 'D' above certain speeds.

It's an electronic box rather than a mechanical connection to the transmission isn't it? - In which case I'd be surprised if there isn't a lock-out to prevent exactly this.

I would agree with PobodY. It will be an electrical connection that requires more than one input, in the same way that an accidental downshift with BMW's Steptronic will not allow the car to over rev.

FYI: I regularly switch my windscreen wipers on to indicate for turns. Or wash my windscreen with my indicators. This is due to having too many cars.

The worse it'll do is select neutral.

Putting aside what a stupid place for it to go it is.

I know it's personal preference but I think it looks great to have a clear, clutter free central column. No gear stick/stalk or handbrake lever. Looks very modern and sleek compared to cars of old. ;)

I know it's personal preference but I think it looks great to have a clear, clutter free central column. No gear stick/stalk or handbrake lever. Looks very modern and sleek compared to cars of old. ;)

Ironically I think it looks more like the cars of old. - American automatics from the '70s often had a column shift and foot operated park brake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom