putting different name/address on V5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
Is it possible for me to buy a car for my father and put his name/address directly on the V5? Or must the details be mine, then transfer the V5 to him?

Thanks.

If you're buying it for him of course you put his name on the V5 when you buy it. :thumb:

The V5 name is the registered keeper, not necessarily the owner.

So the signature of the registered keeper will be mine, but the details above it will be be my father's? I imagine as long as the dealer selling the car is paid he wont mind the details being unusual.

The DVLA won't be bothered about anything other than a correct address for the registered keeper.

A V5 isn't a receipt or proof of ownership.

Agree with the above, at least this was the case when I bought my mum-in-law a car. However, getting it from Lancs to Norfolk was a bit of a trial with regard to insurance. We were told we were only covered third party under our insurance if the drive was a single drive without stopping! Surely dangerous on such a long journey in a Fiesta! (Insurance company saw my point and relaxed that to allow comfort breaks.)

The DVLA won't be bothered about anything other than a correct address for the registered keeper.

A V5 isn't a receipt or proof of ownership.
However getting insurance on a car when you are not the registered keeper raises questions in most insurers minds and normally premiums as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom