putting personal plate on retention

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

julesn

Still hoping to buy an SL in the spring so thinking about removing personal plate from my existing car and putting on retention in readiness. Does anyone know how long it will take DVLA to process and send new tax disc / V5 etc etc -anything else I need to know / watch out for ?

TIA

I've managed to get it back in around a week before now.

However there seems no set time... Its pot luck and with more and more closures of the DVLA offices I guess swansea has even more to do.

As long as its not new plate time which I think is March I think you should be ok

When I took the plate off my SL last October before I sold it, It took eight days.

they are generally pretty quick. approx 1 week

Did mine in January (last month).
Took the comleted V317 form into my local DVLA Office (Retaining a registration mark and how to apply : Directgov - Motoring) along with V5, tax disc (they photocopy it), current MOT and payment.

Took the form in on Jan 3rd. Got letter confirming everything on Jan 5th and got all docs back by Jan 12th. I was quoted 3 weeks.

for cherished transfers you should do it at a local office. Don't send it to Swansea.

Always taken less than a week for me.

Unless you are getting rid of your existing car before wanting to make the transfer why pay to have the registration put on Retention.......as others have said the local offices of DVLA are very quick and efficient.

Mic

Swapping my car in March and dealer wants me to put my private plate on retention now and pay, I think, about £120 ,to dvla .Then my new car will have plate on it when I go to get it. Never been asked to do this before and never had to pay either

transfer to another car: £80

put on retention to transfer to another car later: £105 for 1 year (slightly more for 2 and 3 years)

Took less than a week to take plate off lexus, get new mot, tax disc and new plate auth form plus the retention doc just arrived. V5 takes a little longer hth

transfer to another car: £80
put on retention to transfer to another car later: £105 for 1 year (slightly more for 2 and 3 years)

Just to fill the blanks in (I still have the paperwork to hand) ...

Transfer plate one car to another: £80 assignment fee

One year retention: £105 (£80 assignment fee included so retention cost £25)
Two Year retention: £130
Three year retention: £155

If you assign the plate to a vehicle before your retention period ends the retention fee is non refundable. Eg. Retain for 3 years but assign to a car in the first years and DVLA will not refund the two year retention period left to run.

I have just done some changes from one van to another van and numbers where swapped in 1 week, it took the V5 2 weeks to arive but MOT, tax disc took 1 week

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom