PV Solar Inverter - Remote Data Logging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450h F-Sport with Takumi Pack 2020
I have just had a PV Solar system installed and the inverter has data logging available. The connection is via USB (square socket, type 'B'?).

I was wondering if I could make the connection wireless by adding a WiFi dongle? Do you think this is feasible? Or would the inverter need to be wireless "aware" to begin with?

Is there an interface that can connect the inverter to my wireless hub such that the inverter just sees the expected USB connection?

I think DM on the other forum might be the man to ask.

Failing that I can ask my father that has a similar system as you. I think he uses a notebook permanently attached to log the data. But I can check if you want.

What inverter have have you got WN? Sunnyboy, Aurora, Fronius? Some of them have liveline comms that allow you to carry a signal on you local submain.

What inverter have have you got WN? Sunnyboy, Aurora, Fronius? Some of them have liveline comms that allow you to carry a signal on you local submain.

It's a Power One Aurora. There is no mention of liveline in the install and operator's manual.

Sounds like you would need one of these:

Sharkoon USB LAN Port 100

Plugged in to one of these in 'client' mode:

NETGEAR WG602 54 Mbps Wireless Access Point - Wireless access point - EN, Fast EN, Wi-Fi, 802.11g

Essentially your connections would then be:

Solar Inverter --- Sharkoon --- Netgear WG602 ---->> WLAN

Thanks for this.

I've found the Aurora also has RS-485 via a RJ-12 connector. If I used that connection could I omit the Sharkoon?

Would this work as a cheaper alternative to the WG602?

Novatech 150mbps Wireless Lite N Access Point

Aurora is a good quality unit, used to be manufactured by Magnetek before they sold to PowerOne. I've use a lot of their gear and have always been impressed with it. As you say, they don't have liveline type connectivity like the SMA so I would say that agatward is pretty much on the mark with his suggestion. :)

Actually WN I've done some digging and they do have their own wireless system called 'desktop' it requires a a transmitter module to be fitted into the inverter and then you get a small tft monitor box that you can put anywhere in the house up to 300m away. I think you can then link up to that using bluetooth.

Brace yourself though, its not cheap!

AURORA PVI-DESKTOP Monitoring System PVI-DESKTOP-UK typical reseller price.

11.gif

Thanks for that !! Erm, think I might try give agatward's suggestion a go first :)

Wireless Aurora Data collection

We have the Power-One Aurora 3.6kW inverter with the wireless card and the PVI-Desktop unit which is good but i would like to also pickup the wireless data to use on onother DIY display.

If anyone manages to decypher the data from the Aurora wireless card i would be interested to hear. It is transmitted on the 868.25mHz free to use frequecy.

Thanks

Richard

Thanks for this.

I've found the Aurora also has RS-485 via a RJ-12 connector. If I used that connection could I omit the Sharkoon?

Would this work as a cheaper alternative to the WG602?

Novatech 150mbps Wireless Lite N Access Point

You'd still need something to convert the RS-485 to Ethernet, which would probably cost around the same amount as the Sharkoon. And yes that Novatech "own brand" (OEM is TP-Link, I believe) box would also do the job; I suggested the Netgear one as I have used this in a difficult installation that provides Internet access to an archaeology dig site in the middle of a field :)

pv optimiser

hi guys

anyone fitted an optimiser to their solar pv system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom