Q7

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model X & Mercedes W212 /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
has anyone on here had a Q7? :)

Daughter-in-law has a 2019 - they are very happy with it!

It’s the smoothest riding SUV. Mashes through tyres and fuel. though .... not cheap to run.

Sorry DiL has a 2017 Q7.
They also seem to be often putting that blue stuff in - however he had an X6 before the Q7 and they much prefer the Audi. He also has a 2019 E53 AMG coupe and prefers the Q7s technology to that of the MB (sat nav, lane assist, distronic etc).

The smooth ride is what we are after!
I’m not fussed about the fuel consumption :) I’ve still got the E250 and 320 :)

The smooth ride is what we are after!
I’m not fussed about the fuel consumption :) I’ve still got the E250 and 320 :)
It is a nice comfortable ride - I've travelled with them a few times in the Q7.

Never been in one myself but I knew someone who had a 58 as a company vehicle.

He kept it for ages and when it was borrowed to drive to trade shows abroad (so it could fit all the crap needed and 3 or 4 people), it was praised and held in high regard.

It even had 21" or 22" wheels I think which were massive but then on air, perhaps not such an issue.

I would think with 20s or even 19s, it will ride very nicely.

has anyone on here had a Q7? :)

My brother and a friend of ours have done, albeit the 1st generation model. My brother had a 2012 one and our friend still has a 2008 one. My brother loved his (it was a company motor), went back when he changed jobs. As others have experienced, he still raves on about it now and recommends them to anyone needing a 7 seat SUV!

I owned a 4.2 V8 TDi about 5 year ago.

Positives:
Ridiculously fast vehicle, the torque was hilarious.

Six speed ZF gearbox was very slick, no lag unlike the woeful 7G in the ML420.

Would do 35mpg on a very steady run.

7 seats came in handy from time to time.

Aged well, like all Audi’s really, they never really look “old”.

Negatives:

Went through a brand new set of Michelin front tyres in 6k miles (& brake pads not much better.)

Extra 2 seats were pretty useless for anyone over 5’5” and said seats used up a massive part of the boot floor which meant, coupled with the sloping roof, they weren’t particularly family friendly ie buggies etc

They look massive on the outside but they are actually small on the inside (relatively speaking) and the front seating position doesn’t help matters either.

Around town fuel was 18-20mpg.

Here’s a pic of my old one:

I had a 2011 V8 4.2TD, and would echo much of what Lee has already said.

The stability of the adaptive air suspension when travelling at speed around motorway slip road bends and the like was illogically good. Very clever, and also very absorbing of any road surface imperfections, especially at cruising speed.

Worth paying extra for the Panasonic roof in my opinion.

On a run, it had a huge stride and swallowed the miles in magic carpet style at any clip without you really noticing. The Q7 was very good.

At the time, both the Q7 and my 2006 full fat Range Rover 4.2SC were in the stable together, and I could have kept either.
Yes, the Range Rover always had her head over the stable door waiting to be fed as I walked into the yard, but in horse terms, she's been good enough to run at the Cheltenham Festival and very rarely needs to see the vet. A truly great car that I never tire of driving. I'm lucky to own it!

A decade ago our race team had an 09 version on 21" wheels and air suspension. I did many runs to Europe in that and can echo that they are great ways to travel long distances in if you are not in the very back row of seats.
Came very close to getting the current version in 2017 which is a great step up on the previous model. The SQ7 is insanely torquey and shares it's motor with a Bentley Bentayga. I was tempted, but the complexities of that engine and some tales from the engine plant steered me towards the 3 litre diesel.
I the event, my wife's long term love affair (8 years) with her ML tipped the balance to getting our current GLE.

I had a 2011 V8 4.2TD, and would echo much of what Lee has already said.

The stability of the adaptive air suspension when travelling at speed around motorway slip road bends and the like was illogically good. Very clever, and also very absorbing of any road surface imperfections, especially at cruising speed.

Worth paying extra for the Panasonic roof in my opinion.

On a run, it had a huge stride and swallowed the miles in magic carpet style at any clip without you really noticing. The Q7 was very good.

At the time, both the Q7 and my 2006 full fat Range Rover 4.2SC were in the stable together, and I could have kept either.
Yes, the Range Rover always had her head over the stable door waiting to be fed as I walked into the yard, but in horse terms, she's been good enough to run at the Cheltenham Festival and very rarely needs to see the vet. A truly great car that I never tire of driving. I'm lucky to own it!

How’s the audio quality from the Panasonic roof ?

Seems to be a lot of talk about older Audis. Which generation is the OP looking at - 2019 update (e.g. new) , something really old say 2011 or something in-between?

Q7? nah … just get a GL / GLS, it’s only a tad bigger …

131 mm longer,
62 mm wider,
83 mm higher,

but it’s the business. Proper sized seats in row three.

I’m really enjoying mine, well actually, my borrowed one! Got to love the main dealer when they hand you a new GLS as a long-term courtesy car.

48678120488_e338163fef_b.jpg

Just off to do another 250 mile round trip in it!

If only the OP had asked for an opinion about & photo of a GLS.....:)

We've got to keep him away from the darkside!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom