QQ on number plate transfer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harvin1975

Car
E Class Estate W212; VW Golf
Hi, quick question...

I've just sold my car and need to put the plate on retention ready for new car arriving next month. I believe this service is fairly quick and can be done online for around £80.

My (not so quick question afterall is) what happens to my current car?
How do i arrange plates to be registered on it?
Will it be the registration that i initially had on the car when i bought it, or another from DVLA?
Other than cost of new plates does this registration also cost extra?

Many thanks!

It's normaly the reg that was on in when you bought it but if that reg was sold by DVLA it will be a reg of the same year if that's any help to you

Hi harvin

See below,

https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehi...tration-number

https://www.gov.uk/put-registration-number-vehicle

I did the online form expecting it to take weeks.

I did it on Sunday night and I had all the paper work by Tuesday or Wednesday. Amazing!

Mine went on retention so can be assigned straight on my new car due soon too

They sent 2 emails one with the retention certificate number and one with the new Reg for the current car

When paper work came through got the new plates made up job done just had to notify insurance company retention fee also included new plate assignment for current car

Really slick process

Hope this helps

p

My experience of the private plate process was only spoilt by an incompetent insurance company or broker, as 2-3 months after putting my plate on and notifying my broker of the plate change I get pulled over on a Sunday night at 11.30 by a marked Police car as my car had pinged up on his ANPR as not having any insurance, the car was still insured but by its original plate not the private one. I very nearly had the car seized, but he said if I could show him proof that I had paid the insurance premium then he would allow to go on, lucky for me I had downloaded a banking app on my phone and showed him a bank statement showing the payment.
Needless to say my broker/insurance company got a mouthful, even after this it was still 10 days before the reg no. was showing on the MID as being insured.

Sorry to drag this thread up, but like an earlier poster, I'm selling a 2009 car privately that has a personal plate on it. I get that I have to take my number off @ £80. But is it a fact I have to pay £250 to the DVLA to get a '09 plate to put on the car ? £250 seems to be the cheapest plate they sell.

But is it a fact I have to pay £250 to the DVLA to get a '09 plate to put on the car ? £250 seems to be the cheapest plate they sell.

No.

You'll be provided with an 09 number for the car as part of the retention process.

They only charge £250 or more for numbers for which they think that people will pay for. The ones they allocate when you transfer a number off a car or put it on retention are the ones they think have no value.

No.

You'll be provided with an 09 number for the car as part of the retention process.

They only charge £250 or more for numbers for which they think that people will pay for. The ones they allocate when you transfer a number off a car or put it on retention are the ones they think have no value.

Many thanks for that info, not at all clear from the DVLA site that you automatically get issued with a generic replacement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom