Quaife LSD eating the rear tyres...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aquanaut

Car
2020 C63s AMG Saloon
Hello, my first set of tyres lasted 11.5k on my C63, with the quaife diff being installed at 9k miles. The second set last around 5.5k and now at 4k on the next set they are getting close to the limit again. Just wondering if any others have experienced such an increase of tyre wear since installing the diff. My driving style has not change and i regularly got between 9-11k on the rears with my C55.
Also any advice on changing from Continentals? Looking at Michelin now. These are the 18" tyres btw.

Can't help on the LSD question, but was happy with Michelin PS3 on the rear, now running PS4's which are similar in grip, but the sidewalls seem to soft, so it doesn't feel as sturdy at tight turns.

Were all the sets of rear tyres MO spec?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm. Quaife diff on my E63 hasn't affected tyre wear at all.

The reason I asked if all the tyres were MO spec is that they seem to give the best tyre life on a C63.

Maybe you'll have to cut out the wheel stands? ;)

MO1 is AMG spec for tyres, MO is for all others...

Nope. MO1 is the spec for Mercedes Runflats...

Nope. MO1 is the spec for Mercedes Runflats...
My apologies (due to brainfart).

MOE or MOExtended are the Mercedes Runflats; MO1 is specific to the SL65.

My apologies (due to brainfart).

MOE or MOExtended are the Mercedes Runflats; MO1 is specific to the SL65.

My CLS55 specified MO1 tyres . MO1 tyres come in many sizes not specified for the SL65?

Is there a significant difference in the tyres which are Mercedes specified to the general model of the tyre, or is it simply just a MO / MOE / MO1 stamp?

Generally, no difference but the MO and MO1 labelled tyres meet much tighter QA requirements for run-out, circularity etc..

Some marques do have different compounds or construction for the specific tyres but IFAIK not MB, certainly with regard to Michelin tyres...

Generally, no difference but the MO and MO1 labelled tyres meet much tighter QA requirements for run-out, circularity etc..

Some marques do have different compounds or construction for the specific tyres but IFAIK not MB, certainly with regard to Michelin tyres...

Ah ok, that's useful to know - thought there wasn't going to me much of a difference. Have never come across Michelin tyres in MO spec (PS3/4).

I used Michelin PS3 MO1 on my CLS for the last 3 years, try ATS.

I found the quaife to eat my tyres on my C43. 3k on the first set and 4 on the second.

Curious as to the mechanics of how a Quaife LSD can cause increased tyre wear, above of course the increase in driver enjoyment.
A non LSD equipped car would be spinning up one or other tyre, that certainly increases wear!

Curious as to the mechanics of how a Quaife LSD can cause increased tyre wear, above of course the increase in driver enjoyment.
I can only surmise that without the LSD the Traction Control intervenes and stops the wheel spinning? Presumably, this would be reflected in higher brake pad wear?

Oddly, I've noticed no change in tyre wear on my E63 after fitting the Quaife diff, just lots more traction.

A non LSD equipped car would be spinning up one or other tyre, that certainly increases wear!

Maybe actual grip has a higher impact on the tyre wear rather than when it is spinning with low traction.

Maybe actual grip has a higher impact on the tyre wear rather than when it is spinning with low traction.

I think the black lines of rubber deposited might negate that argument :devil:

My CLS managed between 9 and 11 thousand miles per set of rear tyres without too much wheel spinning, so lots of torque and grip obviously wears the rubber quite quickly to ...

I think the traction control cuts power rather than apply the brakes, certainly at launch?

Sounds to me that the diff is locking too early.

You're effectively trying to turn corners with a fixed rear axle....

Is the supplier still around to do any warranty work?

unfortunately the garage that installed it has ceased trading as of 4 days ago :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom