Quaife LSD standard on a CL65?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIRMA

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus RCF
I've just discovered that my car has a Quaife limited slip differential fitted and despite looking through the standard spec can't find it as standard fitment anyone any ides if it was an extra.

No idea on the CL65 in particular but wouldn't have thought a Quaife diff would be standard?

On some AMG models LSDs were optional or as part of a package (e.g. performance pack) but not a Quaife AFAIK.

They are/were however a popular retro fit item - quite a few on here have had them installed :thumb:

How did/do you know you have a Quaife diff installed? :)

No idea on the CL65 in particular but wouldn't have thought a Quaife diff would be standard?

On some AMG models LSDs were optional or as part of a package (e.g. performance pack) but not a Quaife AFAIK.

They are/were however a popular retro fit item - quite a few on here have had them installed :thumb:

How did/do you know you have a Quaife diff installed? :)

I found a very early advert for the car when it was for sale, and in the spec it says Mercedes Quaife limited slip differential fitted. I need to check the build number items/numbers and get them deciphered.
My SL63 had an Oasis printout of all extras any idea how I can get hold of one?

Last edited:
It's an after-market upgrade

QDF10N_kit_150web_1.jpg

Birds, the UK distributor, fit it as a £1500 after-market upgrade. Here's the spec:

Mercedes CL55 and CL65 AMG QUAIFE limited slip differential | Birds

Last edited:
I've just discovered that my car has a Quaife limited slip differential fitted and despite looking through the standard spec can't find it as standard fitment anyone any ides if it was an extra.

It is a good news I suppose? How did you find out?

Online VIN decoder should be able to list diff option (401 I think on E63). May be worth a look?

It is a good news I suppose? How did you find out?

Online VIN decoder should be able to list diff option (401 I think on E63). May be worth a look?

I found an old advert for the car, I knew the original owner had the car de-badged or at least badge delete on the back so to find it listed in the advert got me interested in finding out more.

Well I sent off an enquiry to Birds and they very promptly and kindly replied to confirm they did indeed fit it in 2013. Whoopie

Did they do anything else at the time..?

Well I sent off an enquiry to Birds and they very promptly and kindly replied to confirm they did indeed fit it in 2013. Whoopie

Just out of curiosity, did Birds say whether that was all they did, or did they do anything else as well? We think of them as Quaiffe distributors and BMW tuners, but maybe they do / did other stuff ?

(My wife and my Doctor accuse me of being nosey - can't think why)

Just out of curiosity, did Birds say whether that was all they did, or did they do anything else as well? We think of them as Quaiffe distributors and BMW tuners, but maybe they do / did other stuff ?

(My wife and my Doctor accuse me of being nosey - can't think why)

The e-mail from Birds only stated they fitted the Quaife LSD I didn't think to ask but now you mention it I will ask the question as to whether anything else was carried out. Nice to know the previous owner did look after it well as the service history is slowly falling into place.

I found a very early advert for the car when it was for sale, and in the spec it says Mercedes Quaife limited slip differential fitted. I need to check the build number items/numbers and get them deciphered.
My SL63 had an Oasis printout of all extras any idea how I can get hold of one?

Obviously good news that you've got the info from Birds, but as I was saying the Quaife diff isn't an original Mercedes part :) :thumb:

Obviously good news that you've got the info from Birds, but as I was saying the Quaife diff isn't an original Mercedes part :) :thumb:

Yes you are correct, as a new owner I wasn't too sure if it was a factory option as I had no idea at the time. I am now enlightened and pleased that the previous owner did this, and now know why it appeared in the very early advert for the car.
As you know sometimes adverts for complex equipped cars can be a dogs dinner stating it has things it doesn't etc. So when I saw this on the spec I just had to investigate.

this makes your CL even more desirable.

I am jealous :)

this makes your CL even more desirable.

I am jealous :)

I can't honestly say I am aware of any difference to be honest Sean, but it confirms a few things about the previous owner (good in every respect) which I can only attempt to replicate whilst really enjoying the car. I still can't quite believe how it transforms in an instant from wafter to projectile.

Nice upgrade to have!

Yes indeed I read an article on the Birds website where an E55 had the LSD fitted and the owner seemed pleased with the transformation. Good job it's been done as I'd have probably gone down this route too if and when I'd have found out about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom