Qualified Mechanic, City& Guilds 3 above.

Who is qualified on this forum ?

• VOSA fully qualified inspector HGV PSV, no limit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • City & Guilds 2 Fully Qualified Mechanic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c240yaz

MB Enthusiast
Qualified Mechanics

How many members on this forum are 4 year apprenticeship served fully qualified mechanics, MB or other to City & Guilds Level 3 and above ?

It would be very intersesting to know.

I am surprised that the moderators do not have a register, EXPERT members, proved via a meeting to show their quals or other.

Being fully qualified, I am shocked some times, that my advice is over ridden by others who do not seem to have a basic knowledge of mechanics.

Builders from hell. rings a bell.

Do they still do city and guilds? i thought it was nvqs.

Are you a mechanic or motor trade? reason i ask is an awful lot are not qualified at all:D i would say a fair proportion have no papers at all.

When i ran a truck workshop i never once asked for papers as they are worthless a quick chat and a few choice questions tell you all you need to know, but on the other hand i never employed youngsters.

I have been working on trucks for over 20 years and have a whole folder full of worthless certificates, you learn on the job.

At my current job i had to go on a basic electrics course and the lack of knowledge was amazing some people did not know how a relay worked or how to wire one up:rolleyes: my comments on the check sheet at the end of the course were, not suitable for those with suicidal tendiencies, teachers face was a picture:D

Are there any builders from hell on here?

Lynall

Last edited:
Before the days of ECU's I could drop a V6 into a MKII Lotus Cortina and get it to work with a bit of help but nowadays, although I can often recognise minor symptoms, I wouldn't have clue.

Perhaps a controversial post. Poor advice or incorrect advice will always be a potential pitfall of a forum (not just forums mind!). IMO credentials don't necesarilly help, although not a thought specific to motor mechanics.

The forum would never keep such a formal register there would be all sorts of work to do it properly and even then it would be a complete liability.

Intersting poll if it is taken light heartend enough. I feel you are looking to expose/point the finger at someone though?

"Awfully well qualified, but absolutely useless" doesn't appear on the poll list so I won't take part!!

Are you not voting yourself C240yaz?

Are you not voting yourself C240yaz?
Did you vote also ? sometimes get annoyed and have a laugh at reading some posts from the equivelant to "builders from hell" and yes, please take the post as light hearted !

Last edited:
Do they still do city and guilds? i thought it was nvqs.

Are you a mechanic or motor trade? reason i ask is an awful lot are not qualified at all:D i would say a fair proportion have no papers at all.

When i ran a truck workshop i never once asked for papers as they are worthless a quick chat and a few choice questions tell you all you need to know, but on the other hand i never employed youngsters.

I have been working on trucks for over 20 years and have a whole folder full of worthless certificates, you learn on the job.

At my current job i had to go on a basic electrics course and the lack of knowledge was amazing some people did not know how a relay worked or how to wire one up:rolleyes: my comments on the check sheet at the end of the course were, not suitable for those with suicidal tendiencies, teachers face was a picture:D

Are there any builders from hell on here?

Lynall
Served my time on airport fire trucks. 15 years then I went back to uni and done aircraft stuff, so moved on a bit since then. But the basics are still there, I hope ?.

Currenty work on front line fighters, but cannot go beyond that job description , as I signed the doc."

"When i ran a truck workshop i never once asked for papers as they are worthless " That is dangerous.. to do that you could find youself in a lot of bother / get sued if anything went wrong. Imagine the news headlines.---- Unqualified mechanics were used to service truck that went out of control and killed.....you would be all over the 6 oclock news

and yes, I do miss working in a garage !!

Last edited:
. I feel you are looking to expose/point the finger at someone though?
Not at all. Why would you of all people think that ?

Is this going to lead towards 'Only NVQ in Car Mechanics to be allowed to work on cars'? As has happened for CORGI, as has happened for electrical Part P.
If so I'll take great pleasure in taking my rotary ****el ( thanks to the anti swear facility in the server again) to the local garage and witness the head scratching. It hasn't been to a garage other than for MOT's and for its very 1st service at 6 months. It's now 24 years old so I must be doing something right.
As a Retired Chartered Engineer, Electrical and Mechanical, with 6 months bench training in basic fitting in my 20's, I am well able to work on my own car. However in the fulness of time Brussels will no doubt disagree but I guess I'll be out of it by then.
Also another point. Many fully qualified car mechanics cannot handle the electronics side. This is more and more important with modern vehicles. Where is this going to end up I wonder - 2 skills sets needed to work on a car? £200 per hour? More than 4 hours work and you have to think about throwing away your car?

Not at all. Why would you of all people think that ?

Because he is Admin for this forum.:rolleyes:

You can always report a post that gives duff advice and we will review it, particularily if the advice is dangerous. As a Chartered Mech Engineer I did not vote on your Poll, but know enough to see if duff gen is being given.;)

Last edited:
Because he is Admin for this forum.:rolleyes:

You can always report a post that gives duff advise and we will review it, particularily if the advise is dangerous. As a Chartered Mech Engineer I did not vote on your Poll, but know enough to see if duff gen is being given.;)
I knew that; If the post is heading away from the original queerie, you can delete it.

It was not intended to cause any anomosity.

I know nothing about how cars work and even less about in-car electrics, thats why I joined this forum.

So far with the forums advice I have fixed the windscreen wiper, sussed out that I need a new key from Mercedes and not from E-Bay and found out about Ian Walker.

I knew that; If the post is heading away from the original queerie, you can delete it.

It was not intended to cause any anomosity.

I think we are still on track.

Your original post, which I merged with this poll thread, that you then edited to delete the content came accross to me as though you had people in mind whose advice you didn't care for.

So far we have an interesting poll however.

Is this going to lead towards 'Only NVQ in Car Mechanics to be allowed to work on cars'? As has happened for CORGI, as has happened for electrical Part P.
If so I'll take great pleasure in taking my rotary ****el ( thanks to the anti swear facility in the server again) to the local garage and witness the head scratching. It hasn't been to a garage other than for MOT's and for its very 1st service at 6 months. It's now 24 years old so I must be doing something right.
As a Retired Chartered Engineer, Electrical and Mechanical, with 6 months bench training in basic fitting in my 20's, I am well able to work on my own car. However in the fulness of time Brussels will no doubt disagree but I guess I'll be out of it by then.
Also another point. Many fully qualified car mechanics cannot handle the electronics side. This is more and more important with modern vehicles. Where is this going to end up I wonder - 2 skills sets needed to work on a car? £200 per hour? More than 4 hours work and you have to think about throwing away your car?
I agree with you on all that, and I reckon the day will come when we are not allowed to repair our own cars, same as they did with the gas (corgi) etc.

It is only a matter of time.

Also another point. Many fully qualified car mechanics cannot handle the electronics side. This is more and more important with modern vehicles.

Unfortunately, we've moved way beyond even this.
It's increasingly in the soft-ware, so that the skills of an electronics engineer (myself) are increasingly redundant.
The same is true of many other pieces of domestic and industrial electrical/electronic equipments.
The problem is that software shuts us all out.
Unless you have the analyser and the correct software package, many of today's equipments are impossible to fix.

I run an inspection facility using several channels of ultrasonic testing simultaneously.
I have resisted for years buying new units for the ultrasonics, which, of course, will be software-driven.
As soon as I do, I will be completely in the hands of the supplier - Unable to fix or calibrate anything myself.

The next trap that you fall into some 7 or 8 years down the line is ...

"Ah well, Sir ... The guy who programmed the software is no longer with us and there's nobody left who really understands it any longer".
So - You are fitted-up again.

Sorry to be so pessimistic
Cheers
Johnsco (of the redundant skills)

I got no qualifications but i've been restoring, modifying and repairing my own cars for 20 years, im not up on modern stuff really, i can cope with engine swops and ECU's and asociated wiring but i'm always willing to learn about stuff if i need to do anything new, i've got mates who'll rebuild a car from the ground up, or replace almost all of it with bespoke components and a full space frame chassis and then live map whatever ecu they're using but still wont go near a modern cars electronics.

I feel sometimes that the forum should display a warning, to the effect that it is a FREE facility with contributions mainly from non qualified enthusiasts only, and that the recommendations made should be seen in that light and should not always be relied on as being factually correct.

It may be the forum does state that in the small print, but it should be highlighted more.

You have often heard the saying "that if it's free then it is not worth a .......!

I would also not go anywhere near modern electronics on any car. As previously mentioned, nobody stands a chance in this area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom