QUANT-- is this the answer to the battery car/

Discussion in 'MB Defectors to Other Marques Forum' started by grober, May 11, 2019.

1. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    [​IMG]

QUANT 48VOLT – Autumn Test *
    ITS FUEL CELL TECHNOLOGY but uses 48volt technology- the idea being you fill up with " electrolyte fuel"** rather than charge a battery- so rapid energy acquisition- but as always infrastructure dependent!
    nanoFlowcell -Home

* the website seems slow to load but give it time

** I also suspect the electrolytes involved will be highly reactive chemically [ acidic or alkaline] and difficult to handle as free liquids

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  2. Yugguy

Yugguy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C220CDI Elegance with Comand
    It would all depend on how polluting creating the electrolyte is, although they say it is sustainable what pollution is produced in the process?

3. OP
    OP
    grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Here's a video- seems a noisy old thing!

4. OP
    OP
    grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
  5. PobodY

PobodY Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK350 Sport, Nissan GTiR
    Yeah, I'm always wary of claims that don't seem to be founded in known chemistry either.

That's not to say that I don't think fuel cells might prove to be better than batteries (something like hydrogen can provide a lot of energy when combined with oxygen to make water), but as it stands the charge density of lithium polymer/ion batteries makes them an easier choice.

It's possible that they have devised a nanotechnology solution which gives them a vastly superior flow cell, but I suspect the technology isn't anywhere near where it needs to be. - Perhaps generating hype will lead to investment, and that's how they intend to get there?

6. Big Janner

Big Janner Member

Car:
    SL500 & Ford Kuga Titanium X
    I still don't understand why hydrogen cell technology is, for the most part, being ignored by everyone except Honda
    We currently do pressure vessels for CNG, so, no issue there.
    Generating hydrogen is an issue at the moment, but, political clout and financial incentive would sort that out.

This way, no batteries, fill up as we do now at a fuel station, emissions stop at water and we could still bomb around thr good driving roads at high apeed (legal speeds, obviously)

7. PobodY

PobodY Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK350 Sport, Nissan GTiR
    I think people are squeamish about hydrogen; it does go with quite a bang if it ignites... although that's the same reason it's so good for fuel cells.

I'm pretty sure that last time I was in Iceland they had hydrogen filling stations; I thought that fuel cell cars were coming, but it seems like everyone prefers hybrid combustion/battery engines instead.

8. 190

190 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2009 W204 C180K
    Hydrogen is tricky stuff to keep in the pipes. Those little molecules find it much easier to get out than other gases. That and the flammability range makes it a challenge to use safely.