Quattro or 4MATIC, which is best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
Quattro or 4MATIC, which is best?

Which quattro? Proper torsen quattro? Haldex? Electronically controlled quattro?

And which 4matic?

The w124?

The GL?

Random question!!!

And better for what?

Off road

On road

Better for grip, handling, fuel economy?

Avoid anything Haldex, proper quattro with a diff lock and switchable abs is ok (good for the time)
Later Quattro is ok.
The Jap systems work well but like everything, vary between each model/spec let alone generation.

Get an integrale!

Avoid anything Haldex, proper quattro with a diff lock and switchable abs is ok (good for the time)
Later Quattro is ok.
The Jap systems work well but like everything, vary between each model/spec let alone generation.

Get an integrale!

Sounds like my 1990 Audi 100 quattro avant. Awesome car.

"Fire up the 4Matic" just doesn't have the same ring as "Fire up the Quattro" (Gene Hunt, Ashes to Ashes). So, for that reason, Quattro is better.

Which quattro? Proper torsen quattro? Haldex? Electronically controlled quattro?

And which 4matic?

The w124?

The GL?

Random question!!!

And better for what?

Off road

On road

Better for grip, handling, fuel economy?

I asked the question with 'best overall' in mind, but which is best for each of the above?

The thing is that there have been about 6 variations of the quattro system whereas there have only been two of 4matic. If we're dealing with the most common variant of both, that means the Quattro system has open differentials front and rear and a torsen differential in the middle while the Mercedes system has three open differentials.

The problem with 4matic is that because it has three open differentials the power will always go to the wheel that has the least grip. It therefore uses the ESP/ABS to brake wheels that are spinning.

The torsen setup in a quattro-equipped car can bias the torque between the front and rear axles continuously. However, the maximum power transfer is limited to a multiple of the maximum power that can be handled by the axle/wheel with the least grip. Consequently, it also needs a system to grab a spinning wheel (Audi call it Electronic Differential Lock).

I am slightly biased, but I prefer the quattro setup since it feels more predictable in normal driving conditions since the torsen is mechanical and always working. By contrast, I think the 4matic system is better in really treacherous conditions since it does actually stop spinning wheels while the Audi EDL is borderline useless. That said, I've never encountered enough snow to stop either of my torsen-equipped cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom