Quest for 600!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55MO

Car
C63 AMG 2009
So after 4 very long months i finaly have the E55k working as it should.

Im looking to break the 600bhp figure....

things currently done...

EC HE
Johnson Pump
77mm Pulley
Remap (MSL)

Running 440hp/530bhp with a bucket load of torque

Things next
Headers
de cat (primary)
Split Cooling - Either Olleys under hood tank or the bmw expansion tank (which i already have)

The Belt wrap kit and bigger injectors are also on the list but not as a priority.

Has anyone else broken the 600bhp mark with the mods?

My own 55 runs big BHP and torque for a M113K, had loads done over the years of ownership, the car runs fine bar, the occasional overboost sensor code thrown up, which either corrects itself or I turn the code off with my little coding gadget.
However my main grievance on my car which gives me the most on going annoyance and maintenance work, is the belt wrap kit, the bearings are constantly having to be replaced, it's a real pain, and to the degree, that in warmer times I will be stripping it off, I recall Acid saying he was not a fan of this kit in one thread, should have taken it off there and then, so my advice is forget the BWK, there saved you at least $400, and all the potential on going grief that goes with it.;)
Further to your post, to my thoughts you really need to putting some air into your engine, no good putting larger injectors in, without air, and given how my own car responded to an upgraded TB even in virtually standard mode, it's worth doing even before your other proposed mods, in my eyes. Best of luck with it all.:p

In order

Split cooling/large tank = get rid of heat
Headers =get rid of heat
KC =get rid of heat
TB upgrade= more heat
more aggressive sc or crank pulley=more heat

The battle is heat, I decided early on that my first serious mods dealt with the heat, and I was happy :eek: to watch Acid beast the beast on the dyno, repeatable power or dyno numbers are not the same thing, its no good having 600BHP if you have to leave it ten minutes to cool before you can hit it again.:D

In order

Split cooling/large tank = get rid of heat
Headers =get rid of heat
KC =get rid of heat
TB upgrade= more heat
more aggressive sc or crank pulley=more heat

The battle is heat, I decided early on that my first serious mods dealt with the heat, and I was happy :eek: to watch Acid beast the beast on the dyno, repeatable power or dyno numbers are not the same thing, its no good having 600BHP if you have to leave it ten minutes to cool before you can hit it again.:D

Its well posted within the forums, here and the US about the heat soak issues on the 55K engines, inc. a great sticky post of performance related issures within this forum by yourself, however, if your hard road driving, most mods that we all discuss in the matter of the M113K engine in my opinion are a waste of money and time, unless you want to be banned or doing 3 months for the privilege.
On track, pod and Vmax events, totally different ball game, the heat issue as you address in your post here and in your previous sticky post, is crucial, my own 55 has all the cooling you post up, but to me it's the trade off of more power as individuals create in what ever manner to the cooling aspect, which bar one individual here, who is working on a very bespoke project, has reached its end from what I can see on the M113K, but only my opinion, additional HE, split cooling, ice box of what ever design and the KC, appears to be as good as it gets.
Adding power, is still being worked upon, larger TB, I have a 90mm TB currently sitting with me, do I want to fit it....currently no, just do not want the hassle, of 1. fitment, and then 2, the mapping, but would certainly bring additional power, then there's the guys with Weistec SC, not sure I have read of a M113K 55 engine car safely 24/7working with this mod, but the M113 cars that have this fitted seem mentally fast, but from my knowledge not reliable, and can only imagine the heat generated from these SC's, albeit it appears to have a better design cooling, but still must heat soak. My Conclusion of my ramblings, is to totally agree with your posting cooling wise, but would add dependant on the individuals needs, some of these guys with 55's, just want to rip the public highways, (not a place for me I might add), they do not need all this, the guys who come to play, need to get right into everything you have posted, plus more, to merit being there, cams, transmission and torque con up grades, fueling, injectors, intakes, differentials, blah blah!!!!. and more heat, it goes on and on, till you finally end it, sell the car for a massive loss over your expenditure, and then you buy something else, and maybe start all over again! :D

Is the MSL pulley fixed rather than clutched and does this mean more heat issues that a clutched one like the Eurocharged one in the thread AMGeed has posted?

Its well posted within the forums, here and the US about the heat soak issues on the 55K engines, inc. a great sticky post of performance related issures within this forum by yourself, however, if your hard road driving, most mods that we all discuss in the matter of the M113K engine in my opinion are a waste of money and time, unless you want to be banned or doing 3 months for the privilege.
On track, pod and Vmax events, totally different ball game, the heat issue as you address in your post here and in your previous sticky post, is crucial, my own 55 has all the cooling you post up, but to me it's the trade off of more power as individuals create in what ever manner to the cooling aspect, which bar one individual here, who is working on a very bespoke project, has reached its end from what I can see on the M113K, but only my opinion, additional HE, split cooling, ice box of what ever design and the KC, appears to be as good as it gets.
Adding power, is still being worked upon, larger TB, I have a 90mm TB currently sitting with me, do I want to fit it....currently no, just do not want the hassle, of 1. fitment, and then 2, the mapping, but would certainly bring additional power, then there's the guys with Weistec SC, not sure I have read of a M113K 55 engine car safely 24/7working with this mod, but the M113 cars that have this fitted seem mentally fast, but from my knowledge not reliable, and can only imagine the heat generated from these SC's, albeit it appears to have a better design cooling, but still must heat soak. My Conclusion of my ramblings, is to totally agree with your posting cooling wise, but would add dependant on the individuals needs, some of these guys with 55's, just want to rip the public highways, (not a place for me I might add), they do not need all this, the guys who come to play, need to get right into everything you have posted, plus more, to merit being there, cams, transmission and torque con up grades, fueling, injectors, intakes, differentials, blah blah!!!!. and more heat, it goes on and on, till you finally end it, sell the car for a massive loss over your expenditure, and then you buy something else, and maybe start all over again! :D

Totally agree, well apart from the massive loss over 4 years:D 2k depreciation over 4 years, ok a bit more for mods and service work but all in pretty good for supercar performance, the V12 :D its staying stock LOL.

Is the MSL pulley fixed rather than clutched and does this mean more heat issues that a clutched one like the Eurocharged one in the thread AMGeed has posted?

There are two pulleys same size, the FSP will generate more heat and definitely requires cooling mods and real time data logging equipment as there is no safety i,e. no disengage when it gets hot.

There are two pulleys same size, the FSP will generate more heat and definitely requires cooling mods and real time data logging equipment as there is no safety i,e. no disengage when it gets hot.

Yep, as Tony above. FSP is not something I'd entertain myself due to no safety margin.

I believe the 77mm pulley that Acid at MSL put on Cyclone1's CLS is a clutched pulley supplied by Eurocharged. I stand to be corrected on that but that's my understanding.

Yep, as Tony above. FSP is not something I'd entertain myself due to no safety margin.

I believe the 77mm pulley that Acid at MSL put on Cyclone1's CLS is a clutched pulley supplied by Eurocharged. I stand to be corrected on that but that's my understanding.

Cheers - I was just trying to get my head around the big difference in the figures between the two

I've also just read the thread properly and see its a Eurocharged pulley also and it is clutched

cheers

Nick

Last edited:
ginger55k-albums-e55-picture7816-pulley.jpg

pulley configurations

things currently done...

EC HE
Johnson Pump
77mm Pulley
Remap (MSL)

Things next
Headers
de cat (primary)
Split Cooling - Either Olleys under hood tank or the bmw expansion tank (which i already have)

The Belt wrap kit and bigger injectors are also on the list but not as a priority.

With your mods you should be running close to 570bhp, just go for secondary decat / X pipe and add either bonnet or boot split cooling.

All I have is 77mm pulley, decat / X-pipe, piper cross filters (bought very cheap so fitted them, but still recommend standard paper filters) and remap for 600bhp. Unless doing lots of continuous blasts then the lack of additional cooling has little impact. As has been said, if you intend to race, do VMax, track days etc then would definitely get additional cooling, plus for summer driving it adds value.

I've done about 10k miles with the 77mm pulley with no issues. No a lot of money spent but running a happy 600bhp.

Jules

With your mods you should be running close to 570bhp, just go for secondary decat / X pipe and add either bonnet or boot split cooling.

All I have is 77mm pulley, decat / X-pipe, piper cross filters (bought very cheap so fitted them, but still recommend standard paper filters) and remap for 600bhp. Unless doing lots of continuous blasts then the lack of additional cooling has little impact. As has been said, if you intend to race, do VMax, track days etc then would definitely get additional cooling, plus for summer driving it adds value.

I've done about 10k miles with the 77mm pulley with no issues. No a lot of money spent but running a happy 600bhp.

Jules

Hi Jules

So no issue with the 77mm pulley and no extra cooling in road use.

Am thinking will go with EC heat exchanger but don't reallt want to do any of the other cooling mods

Cheers

Nick

A lot doesn't get posted on forums.

There's cars with more mods than that making a lot less power.

As mentioned the secret is cooling and getting enough air in. You car will only be as strong as the weakest link when it comes to getting the power and maintaining it.

thank you all for your replies, much appreciated.

The fact that i am making less than other with the same mods leads me to think i may have a problem some place.

Went out last night kept an eye on the IAT, ambient temps at 6 c, it stayed steady at 16 - 18 c peaking at 30 for a quick burts to 50 on a dual carriageway. Boost peaked at 8psi. When i have WOT i have only been able to manage 11.9 12 psi.

Looking at the earlier post, i think i should be hitting 14psi with the current mods.

This is the only thing i can think off everything else looks spot on.?

Maybe im over thinking it??

I dont tend to go to a track or drag strip, but do go on a yearly visit to nurburgring. I missed the last trip as the car was having a new fuel pump fitted. This is why i chose to do the split cooling. Headers i was able to pick up pretty cheap so thought why not..

again thanks for all your help with this.

Possibly leaking boost between supercharger to inlet gaskets. See the sticky thread by Billy at top of AMG section mate.

Totally agree, well apart from the massive loss over 4 years:D 2k depreciation over 4 years, ok a bit more for mods and service work but all in pretty good for supercar performance, the V12 :D its staying stock LOL.

I was not really quoting your own experience depreciation wise here mate, just generally, the guys modding cars, can or will spend multiple £k, from one marque to another, myself from experience as well, you never will see that monies back in any major degree, so better to use and enjoy the results of such expenditure on such cars, and have some fun with them while you can.:D

A lot doesn't get posted on forums.

There's cars with more mods than that making a lot less power.

As mentioned the secret is cooling and getting enough air in. You car will only be as strong as the weakest link when it comes to getting the power and maintaining it.

Hi Matt, totally agree with your comments here, and further thanks for your company and dinner the other day with A, and I look forward to another perhaps in the spring, hopefully when all your cars are up and running, albeit it terrifies me to how fast your two cars will be, something to look forward too!:D

things currently done...

EC HE
Johnson Pump
77mm Pulley
Remap (MSL)

Things next
Headers
de cat (primary)

The 77mm S/C Pulley Acid has is from a company called UPD in the states, it is clutched. Like Cyclone i have been running it for some time now with Kleemann headers with no problems at all. No Belt wrap kit. North or 600Bhp 700+ lbs Torque on Acids Dyno. As mentioned, it really depends how much you are pushing the car regarding Cooling.

(Cooling) My Car has managed pretty well to date, but that is just with the odd blasts, no track, vmax etc yet. We just split the cooling, and have Johnson cm30 s/c pump. Cooling is a work in progress, going forward.

Loads of guys on here with loads of time with their cars, @ experience with their Modded 55's. Give them a Pm, sure they can help with their pro's @ con's.

Jimi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom