Question about imports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VikJ

Car
2014 W246 B180CDi AMG Line Premium
I'm currently in the market for an A-Class as a second car and have seen a very well spec'd, low mileage and good condition A160 Avantgarde.

However, the car was purchased in Germany by the 1st owner and then brought over to the UK. It now has a UK No plate, Logbook, MOT and tax etc.... Its on a T 99 Plate and past its warranty period.

I was just wondering if there are any downsides to buying this car?

Thanks
Vik.

Do you know if it is a full UK spec one? Check to make sure it has the full MB OEM alarm system. If it doesn't, it's a Euro spec and dealers will have a job selling it, if and when you come to trade it in (if you buy it)

Originally posted by Maff
Do you know if it is a full UK spec one? Check to make sure it has the full MB OEM alarm system. If it doesn't, it's a Euro spec and dealers will have a job selling it, if and when you come to trade it in (if you buy it)

The car is advertised privately and not at a dealer. When I come to sell it, its most likely that I'll be selling it privately anyhow.

As far as I know, it seems to be similar to the UK Spec for an Avantgarde. E.g.

Grey Leather
CD Player
Air Con
4x EW
EM
Full length tilt and slide roof
Avantgarde Alloys
Parktronic (Front and Rear sensors) Apparently only rear is available in the UK.

that should be OK then.

When I bought my CLK430 from Germany, I sold it to a UK dealer, and they made me watch out for the alarm and COC papers which confirm it's configuration.

If your going to sell it on privatly then it shouldn't matter to much.
Sounds like a nicley spec'ed A-class. :)

Originally posted by Maff
that should be OK then.

When I bought my CLK430 from Germany, I sold it to a UK dealer, and they made me watch out for the alarm and COC papers which confirm it's configuration.

If your going to sell it on privatly then it shouldn't matter to much.
Sounds like a nicley spec'ed A-class. :)

Thanks for the input Maff. I'm assuming that if someone has gone to the trouble of speccing it to that extent, the alarm should be F/F.

I'll keep you posted!

Yeah, let us know how it goes!

Tip - to check it has the full UK alarm system, on the dash look for a button that shows a car and a hook - to disable the alarm when being towed.

Have a look at this thread:
import linky

As you will see mine was also originally purchased in Germany and when you see the purchase price you will see why!!

Mine did not come with an alarm, although when I had an A-class courtesy car, the alarm stickers on it seemed to fall of off the windows and ended up on my car.

Strange I know but thats how it happened gov.

Sounds like a nice little car.

The missus and I have had our A160 Avantgarde for about a year now and enjoy the concept and creature comforts.

For pre-facelfit cars, air-con was standard only on the Elegance and the Avantgarde selling with a sun-roof only.

The A-Class for the UK had to be retrofitted with upgraded alarm systems to meet stricter UK Insurance requirements. You can spot a UK model by the little red LED mounted to the right of the steering wheel that doubles as the disable switch. No proper button on the dashboard !

PS. Early A-Class suffer from a host of minor but well known design faults that largely fall outside of Signature warranty.

Ensure all rectification work has been done before buying such an early vehicle. e.g. Rear trailing arm bushes, steering column universal joints, front drop links, fuel gauge sender unit, etc..

<PLUG>www.baby-benz.co.uk </PLUG> is a favourite forum for all things A-Class...

Enjoy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom