Question about KHM replacement roof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swithin

Car
99 SL500, 2014 C250 AMG Sport +, 2016 C220d, Range Rover 4.2sc, Mini Cooper S
Afternoon All,

Took the hardtop off my 99 R129 this weekend and after a heart stopping moment when the soft top wouldn't close, got it closed and then heart sunk when seeing the windows.

Last year's slight crack's are now holes! :mad:

I also fitted 3 point seatbelts in the back for my 5 year old and the cloth roof has some scratches where it rubs against the seat belt mechanism in the roof recess.

With this in mind I have decided to order a new roof from KHM after a lot of time looking over the threads on this subject. I have a highly recommended fitter who lives just down the road who will fit it and fix the seat belt mechanism to prevent further scratching of the roof when it is folded away.

I have emailed them this morning but being an impatient sod thought i'd ask if anyone who has ordered a roof from them can let me know if the price includes the plastic windows as its not stated in their website.

All the best

Gary

Got a response yesterday from KHM and the roof comes with all windows already fitted. 1.25mm Center and 1.5mm side as original.

I was going to purchase a roof from KHM until I had to revise my budget when I found it it's in the region of £800 to replace the window seals and tension cables. I figured at the least to do the vertical window seals as the velvet like finish on them is wearing through in places. I'm also assuming it's best to replace the tension cables as they're probably as old as the roof and it's easier to replace them while the roof is off. Yet to decide whether to do the horizontal seals as well.

I therefore end up purchasing a roof from a guy called Markus Huber through ebay. I messaged him and he states that he uses the same Sonnenland Plus material with Renolit Flexglass windows to the original thickness of 1.25 and 1.5 mm. He was not the only seller I contacted nor the only one to tell me that apparently Wopavin is no longer manufactured in Switzerland but now in China and the same company supplies all the major manufacturers.

£590 from Herr Huber inc. p&p www.der-autoausstatter.de if you were interested. :)

Well my lovely new roof has arrived and I've ordered the vertical seals, tension cables and the rubber lip (bow damper Mercedes call it) which should all be here in the next couple of days. Now I just have to wait until the end of the month before it can be fitted.:D

Hi Gramey,

How much did your fitting cost? I've been quoted £500 so far.

Hi Gramey,

How much did your fitting cost? I've been quoted £500 so far.

It cost me £250 to have mine fitted by Howard Sands here in Suffolk, he's done several R129's before and it's fine. The photo's in the other thread on soft top replacement shows a coupe of wrinkles in mine but as the roof has strectched and settled in I'm happy with how it looks now. :)

It cost me £250 to have mine fitted by Howard Sands here in Suffolk, he's done several R129's before and it's fine. The photo's in the other thread on soft top replacement shows a coupe of wrinkles in mine but as the roof has strectched and settled in I'm happy with how it looks now. :)

Hi Gramey can I ask how your plastic windows are holding up? I’ve just had mine done and the guy used the same make of windows as you.

Cheers

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom