Question about paddle shifters on E350

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gtione

Car
Mercedes E350 Coupe
Hey all, I collect my E350 next week but it has just dawned on me that I never tested out the paddle shifters on either of my two test drives. There were so many other things to try out.

Do these offer any benefits over the standard auto shifting? I.e. is the shift any faster than normal or are they just there for manual conveinience?

Thx in advance.

no - they just do the same thing as moving the stick left or right - and the gearbox still overrules them if it thinks it knows better!

after realising this I haven't really had any interest in using them - unless it is to show someone who asks!

Depends where you are, how much feel you have for the car and what you're trying to do. For example, if you want maximum acceleration and can sense the optimum shift point then with the box in manual mode the paddle shifters are great because you don't have to take your hands off the wheel to use them. Can also be useful for a quicker down shift when wanting to overtake and also when descending steep hills. Yes, you can do exactly the same with the shift levers sideways clicks, but then one hand is off the wheel. I never realised the real benefits of paddle shifters until we got my wife a car and they came as standard equipment (Honda Accord)... Thanks to that experience they were one of my criteria when choosing my SL.

Regards,

I have had my E350 for 6 months now and have only actually used the paddle shifters once - and that was just to "have a play".

This is my first auto car and I went down that route as I was fed up with a manual. I have no real desire to change the gears myself anymore.

It is good to have the option though if I "really" need to override the auto box (snow/ice etc.).

I have a GL which has steering wheel buttons but no conventional auto selector between the seats, instead it has a stalk on the opposite of the steering wheel to the multifunction stalk (indicator, wipers etc.).
You cannot change gear using this stalk you have to use the buttons.

For the bulk of the time I let the auto do its own thing. However, there are times when I like to select a gear, usually as I’m waiting to overtake, or sometimes for a bit of fun along a winding road. Kick down is too slow.
Using the buttons there are two possibilities to do this; (a) a single pull on the left button causes a down change of one gear, so using repeated pulls you can select the optimum gear,
or (b) pull and hold the button for a couple of seconds and the optimum gear will be automatically selected.
Both of these engage a mode (effectively manual control) whereby the selected gear is held within the engines rev range, a higher gear is only selected when the engine runs out of revs. This higher gear is then held etc.
To cancel all of this a single flick on the column mounted gear lever restores normal auto mode. You can of course change up using the other paddle.

The only drawback to this if the wheel is turned it can be quite tricky to find the buttons.

I use the wheel buttons to shift up and down routinely. Just because the car is automatic doesn't mean you shouldn't interact with the gearbox. You can tell it what to do, and anticipation/forward planning are parts of your driving you should always have whether the car is automatic/manual.

I sometimes will use the plus to knock it into 7th at 50mph, there is no point in it being in 5th. I may then use it to go for 4th as I am planning a long over take of 4 cars and would rather not use 3rd, to go back to 4th etc as I know just 4th gear will cover the spread of speed I'll need to pass all the cars.

You also don't get the delay from standing when using the manual setting

You also don't get the delay from standing when using the manual setting

You don't get it in S mode either with the latest updates so you can have full auto and no delay if you want :)

only time I use it is to downshift on motorway for overtaking. Gives more immediate pull. I only do this to get quickly past the occasional lorry etc and very quickly flick the gear selector to D in order to get back to full auto.

Other than that I never use them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom