Question about replacement key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markland

Car
2006 c180k Sport
Hi, i bought a 2006 c180k about 6 weeks ago, love the car but it only came with one key.
As part of the deal i agreed with the dealer that they would get me a second key. They've said they have ordered it from a mercedes dealership, however whenever i phone up its simply 'not arrived yet'.

Upon reading some posts on forums i've discovered that the actual car has to go to the mercedes dealership to get the lost key deactivated and the new key programmed to the car?

If the above is true then they probably haven't ordered a new key? they only had the car for 3 days from me signing the deal and they put two new tyres and got it mot'd in this time so i doubt they took it to a dealership (they have never mentioned taking it to one).

Thanks

Cars that are post flip-key (late 90s+ for most models) do not require coding. You take paperwork and ~£250 to the dealership and most times you have a key the next day which works right out of the envelope.

It's not required to have the "lost" key deleted but may be advisable. Either way it can take 7 days to get the key from MB.

Why not order the key yourself and invoice the dealer?

If you decide on the 'order one yourself' option, you will need the vehicle V5, proof of ID and a recent utility bill. They cost £227 inc VAT and you will get a new chrome type 3 button fob and a metal blade key. It arrives at the dealers in two different deliveries I believe (security) and will be pre programmed.
I heard that some dealers want to see the car, but I didn't encounter that. Maybe just a thing some of them ask for. Mine took 5 working days to arrive and the dealer texted me to advise that they had it. (Price was correct in June this year).

Ask them which MB Dealership they've ordered it from.

Last edited:
block their entrance and tell them they will be able to move it with the key they are aquiring.

you need not go to the mercedes dealership to get the lost key, you just take it to the nearby car repair shop, the professional can make a new car key with technical car key programmer. It is easy to do.

you need not go to the mercedes dealership to get the lost key, you just take it to the nearby car repair shop, the professional can make a new car key with technical car key programmer. It is easy to do.

unfortunately :(

If you ever find such a 'nearby car repair shop', please post the details on here, I'm sure a lot of us will be grateful.

I got my from Replacement Mercedes Keys who come to your home and are less expensive than the dealers.

Me too , i have tried a few repair shops so to speak still second key yet.

The requirements clearly vary from one dealer to another .

MB Glasgow only needed my V5 and a look at my licence photocard . I know that some other dealers ask for more than this .

The key arrived after two or three days . Price was £31 for a W124 master key .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom