Question about wheel bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Hi I'm about to fit some E Class Sport 18's to replace the existing Avantgarde 17's.

Does anyone have any idea if I can re-use my existing bolts?

If the offset is the same should be fine

By "offset" do you mean the ET numbers?

The originals are not staggered, the new ones are. They are ET48 front and ET54 rear.

No idea about the originals.

The offset has got nowt to do with bolt length. It's all about the thickness of the rim centre. You can only offer one of your bolts up to the new rim and see by how much it projects out from the rear. Compare that your old rim but approx 25mm is about right.

The offset has got nowt to do with bolt length. It's all about the thickness of the rim centre. You can only offer one of your bolts up to the new rim and see by how much it projects out from the rear. Compare that your old rim but approx 25mm is about right.

OK ta.

When I get the wheels I'll swing by the tyre fitters and get them to whip one of the existing ones off and offer up the bolts to the new ones.

My original wheel bolts on the CLS protruded by 20mm , so when i fitted the aftermarket wheels i just measured from the bottom of the wheel bolt hole taper to the inner mounting face of the wheel , added the thickness of the hubcentric spacer and added a further 20mm to get the required bolt length.

Also take into account that MB wheels have a conical bolt seat and most aftermarket wheels have a tapered seat meaning you will need new wheel bolts anyway if you are fitting non-genuine wheels.

Kenny

Oh right,

I thought the Offset was the height/thickness of the Wheels centre hub, So being a thicker hub it would require a longer bolt?

No worries, For other who dont understand either and may also help the Op here it is with a pic

The offset of a wheel is the distance from the hub mounting surface to the center line of the wheel. The wheel offset is measured in millimeters and results in a positive, negative, or zero offset. ... Negative offset is when the hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline

wheel-offset.jpg

Last edited:
Rule of thumb is that the amount of "insertion" of the bolt into the hub should be greater than the diameter of the bolt.

Not too long though, or you'll hit the brake mechanism on the rear....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom