question about wheel bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

YolandaCyrus

Car
w222
Looking into getting wheels and also change a set of lock wheel bolts, like red shell or something, 40mm or 45mm (need to measure up still) but I've read a few posts on here about damage caused by them.

Anyone had any experience with wheel bolts? Any downsides to them?

I've done a bit of reading and this post said that light wheel bolts are better than ordinary wheel bolts, not very sure but I think it’s real.

Hi Yolanda welcome to the forum, I know nothing of wheel bolts ,only that it could be dangerous to set off without them, sure someone who can put you right will pop in soon.
Can you post a picture of your W222? 👍

20 years old with a w222 , how much is your insurance, and road tax ? In la

Hi Yolands and welcome , We are divided here on locking wheel bolts , some think they are more trouble than they are worth (they are not fitted standard to UK Mercedes Benz cars) .

They can be fragile in the wrong hands , think grease monkey with a crappy air powered 'rattle gun' - ,the adapter 'key' socket can go missing or break (common) . Tools for removing them (snapping them off) are cheap and widely available on the internet so no amount of locking wheel nuts will stop a determined thief , The bad guys are more likely to steal the whole car and take whatever parts they want off it later.

Not sure how wheel theft is where you live but since almost all cars are now available with alloy wheels here in the UK my guess is theft of wheels alone has become quite rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom