Question for 2011 C Class owners - Stop Start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ace571

Car
190E 2.6, Sportline spec
Guys

How does the Stop Start status/availability behave on your cars? This is shown in the central display - ECO in amber means unavailable, ECO in green means available.

On mine when the car is started from cold it's unavailable, as you would expect, but once up to operating temp is becomes green.

However on a number of occasions I've noticed it has become amber, sometimes after 45 mins/1 hr of driving.

According to the manual there are a number of factors that allow the car to have ECO available, including ambient temperature - the first time this occured I put it down to this. However there have been other occurances where the ambient temp has been milder, and it's been amber.

I guess another factor is battery status, but my car does 85% motorway driving, so I'd be surprised if the current is too low.

The car is 1 week old and has covered approx 900 miles, so it is used a fair amount.

Just wondering what other owners experiences have been - is it always green and available on your cars?

It does say on the MB webiste that it is networked to the climate control:

'Invaluable in heavy traffic, ECO Start/Stop operates seamlessly without compromising the driving experience. For instance, the system is networked to the climate control system, so the engine won’t shut down when the cabin temperature has fallen below a comfortable level. It also recognises low-speed manoeuvres such as parking, and will not operate at these times.'

Cheers Rob, but in my cases the car was neither parking, or had low cabin temps. Car had been running for quite a while - 45 mins plus.

I guess the question for other owners is has the ECO gone from green to amber at any point in a running state on your cars?

I found mine didn't operate a huge amount for the first week or two, as though it was allowing the car to bed in, or learn the settings.

Honestly I don't take a great deal of notice of the thing I'm so used to it now (4 months and 5000 miles in).

Saying that, once it's green on my car, it pretty much stays that way, I've not noticed it revert to amber.

Also steering related?

i have noticed that mine never stops when I pull up on my driveway.

At this point I have just done a sharp left hand turn. This is logical, as you would not want the engine to stop while doing a 3 point turn, for example.

I must say I have never noticed the colour of the ECO icon at this time. I will try to remember to look next time.

Mine sometimes takes a little while to go green and sometimes it goes green very quickly. I think it's mostly related to engine temp and battery levels.

Sometimes when park up the ECO stop comes on. Then when I change to Park and take my foot of the brake the engine starts and then I want to turn it off. Seems like a wasted start to me sometimes.

Thanks for the replies guys. The "green" ECO status certainly fluctuates a fair amount on my car, with no obvious reasons why it might work over a time its amber and so disabled. As red says above, it might be something to do with being new -will see what occurs longer term.

Having seen this thread I was wondering as I went out for a long drive on Saturday.

I was the first time that I have driven my car when it was below freezing and surprise surprise it did not go to green before the first roundabout which it always has before, had a look at the temperature and yes lower than normal.

Took to the motorway, temperature came up to normal but still not green and then twigged, the aircon was still going mad trying to bring the cabin up to setting. This went on for about twenty miles, when the output of hot air was cut down and the green light then came on. My theory then is that it is dependant on battery voltage, engine temperature and cabin temperature.

I am now getting good a creeping up to junctions just to make sure that the engine doesn't stop just I want to pull away.

I am now getting good a creeping up to junctions just to make sure that the engine doesn't stop just I want to pull away.

Me too! It's probably not a bad thing you know, makes me drive with better anticipation and using the brakes less, so probably helping save some fuel too!

Thanks for the feedback :thumb:

I've only covered about 1200 miles from new myself and haven't yet paid much attention to the ECO start/stop colour change. But after reading Ace's post I'll be checking over the next few days in a variety of circumstances.

I've done just over 13000 miles in my car and it's mostly green and available for me. Even recently when the temperature has been below 7c. I thought I read in the manual that it doesn't work in the cold. I had one journey back in the summer (about 30 miles) when it wasn't available at all but no repeat of that. (But looking at Rob's comment that may have been because of the heat.)
I think I'd be inclined to ask your dealer to do a diagnostic.

I don't know whether your car is a manual or automatic but on my manual I can force it go amber irrespective of the outside temperature by being in a gear that is not recommended according to the gear shift indicator. For example, say doing 30mph in 4th gear the gear indicator will be asking me to downshift to 3rd gear and the ECO light will be amber. Likewise at 70mph in 5th gear it will be amber and asking me to be in 6th gear.
I'm not sure if the automatics have this function.

Last edited:
A quick update - my Stop-Start is definitely not working right. Early part of this week it was working perfectly.

But for the last two days it's remained amber despite doing 230 (90% motorway) miles, then literally 5 mins from home after a 1 hour drive it went green.

Going in to the dealers next week to be checked out.

That is the proper way to deal with a Give Way junction, you shouldn't stop if there is nothing to give way to.

Is there a way to turn off this start/stop system if you wish to?

Also it can't be doing the starter motors any good can it?

A quick update - my Stop-Start is definitely not working right. Early part of this week it was working perfectly.

But for the last two days it's remained amber despite doing 230 (90% motorway) miles, then literally 5 mins from home after a 1 hour drive it went green.

Going in to the dealers next week to be checked out.

What's the outside temperature like though?

I believe it doesn't kick in if it's very cold outside

So from the manual

Automatic engine switch-off

The engine is only switched off if:
the outside temperature is within the range that is suitable for the system.
the engine is at normal operating temperature.
the set temperature for the vehicle interior has been reached.
the battery is sufficiently charged.
the system detects that the windscreen is not misted up when the air-conditioning system is switched on.
the bonnet is closed.
there are no active engine-related diagnoses.
the vehicle is not being steered.
the driver's door is closed and the seat belt is fastened.

The engine can be switched off automatically a maximum of four times (first stop and three subsequent stops) in succession. The symbol is shown in yellow in the multifunction display after the engine has been started automatically for the fourth time. The engine can only be switched off automatically again when the symbol is shown in green in the multifunction display.

I am not sure what that last sentence means in reality!

Last edited:
Is there a way to turn off this start/stop system if you wish to?

Also it can't be doing the starter motors any good can it?
Yes, I have a button below comand that says 'ECO'. I always switch it off as I dont like this stop-start thing. Im not sure if the e class has the same button though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom