Question for diesel drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just wanted to ask similar question - why do coaches have engine running on idle ?I've gone to pick up points and waited up to 1hr and the engine has been running?
Why can't/won't they switch off engine whilst awaiting passengers?

Because the drivers aren't the ones paying for the fuel ?

For an awfully simple question, the answers have got pretty complicated. So to boil down..........

1. Hot day - engine left running to keep aircon going. Or, yummy Mummy is nervous because the car once wouldn't start when heat soaked.
  2. Cold day - engine left running to keep car warm and cosy. On start up, it's to demist the car and stop the cheap plastic steering wheel on a Fiat freezing to your hands.
  3. Turbo spin down - absolute tosh. These things have very low inertia, otherwise throttle response would be dreadful. In a vacuum, one would spin for a fair wee while, but with air at both sides of both impellers it's going to spool down pretty quick. Coming to a screaming stop and turning the key straight off is probably a bad idea, but anything else is just urban myth and should only be done by the chaps who still cover the front grill with tin foil in winter time. Makes as much sense as paying to have your tyres inflated with nitrogen.

For an awfully simple question, the answers have got pretty complicated. So to boil down..........

1. Hot day - engine left running to keep aircon going. Or, yummy Mummy is nervous because the car once wouldn't start when heat soaked.
  2. Cold day - engine left running to keep car warm and cosy. On start up, it's to demist the car and stop the cheap plastic steering wheel on a Fiat freezing to your hands.
  3. Turbo spin down - absolute tosh. These things have very low inertia, otherwise throttle response would be dreadful. In a vacuum, one would spin for a fair wee while, but with air at both sides of both impellers it's going to spool down pretty quick. Coming to a screaming stop and turning the key straight off is probably a bad idea, but anything else is just urban myth and should only be done by the chaps who still cover the front grill with tin foil in winter time. Makes as much sense as paying to have your tyres inflated with nitrogen.

Are you calling me awful AND simple? ;)

How do your first two answers apply to those who leave their engines running at the end of a journey before getting out and leaving the car for hours? (I'm inclined to go along with your third response though!)

I have eco start on my MB C Class Coupe - its fantastic - I achieved an average of 71mpg on a 636 mile round trip - well happy - its a 2013 plate C220

Think you need to get your fuel computer looked at

Depends how the car was driven. I keep hearing how wonderfully economical all those diesel cars are so I would have thought that a modern C220 CDI driven with a very light right foot and cruising at around 50 - 60 should easily be able to manage 71mpg on such a long journey. After all, my 1999, 110k miles W208 CLK 230K managed 40.6 mpg on an enthusiastic drive along country roads right through Cornwall before eventually getting onto motorways for the 360 mile drive back to Peterborough at an average speed of 65mph.

Attachments

• Cornwall-148.jpg
    Cornwall-148.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 5
I keep hearing how wonderfully economical all those diesel cars are so I would have thought that a modern C220 CDI driven with a very light right foot and cruising at around 50 - 60 should easily be able to manage 71mpg on such a long journey.

I've managed 68.3MPG from mine & I've seen 80mpg on forums for 220 CDi's, older models as well, so the latest ones should be more than capable if you know how to drive them.

Russ

My E220 Cdi has just clocked 18k miles and is getting notably more economical on routes I use daily for years.

This engine benefits from age.

I've managed 68.3MPG from mine & I've seen 80mpg on forums for 220 CDi's, older models as well, so the latest ones should be more than capable if you know how to drive them.

Russ

Yes - I am a meany when it comes to my right foot,I have got 80mpg once going to Harrogate - there is part of the system that analyses your style of driving on a 100% scale based on constant speed/acceleration/cruising - it measures all three at the same time - obviously,if you constantly accelerate,or are in stop start traffic - the score is lower - so no,the computer is quite correct.

I could get 50mpg out of my old 2008 E320 V6 CDI Sport and in the E350 V6 CDI (265bhp) with the 7G plus box, I saw late 50's on a long run and 42mpg around town.

Some of the figures I see other people report are laughable, they must stamp and stop there way around everywhere.

Mercedes have made a lot of progress in fuel efficiency - they have had to - gone are the days when if you owned an MB,if you were bothered by the fuel consumption,then it was considered vulgar. This my third MB and after the first gas guzzler,the second CLK improved by an average of 10-12 mpg until I got onto this model and same again,another 10-12mpg - last two cars were diesel C220 cdi - so a fair comparison. Of course they have reduced the weight of the vehicles,which helps - boot lid is ABS Plastic etc - but I am a happy MB owner now.Its always at the top of my list when look at a new model - how have you improved the fuel economy ?

johns E350 said:
May be I am just jealous as I only get 30 around town and 40+ on a run

If it makes you feel any better I get low 40s on my 2012 C250 Estate, but that is a marked improvement on the low 30s I got from my 2.2 Auris SR180.

On a long run I can get 55mpg from my S320cdi with old 5 speed auto.

A modern 220 should be easily capable of 70mpg if driven steadily!

MDC250 said:
If it makes you feel any better I get low 40s on my 2012 C250 Estate, but that is a marked improvement on the low 30s I got from my 2.2 Auris SR180.

It certainly does I am happy enough though 30 & 40+ for a 3 litre V6 is what I expected any more would of seemed like a bonus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom