Question for Plodd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
The Police nowadays seem to have competitions to see who can keep a road shut the longest following a serious road traffic incident. The excuse given is that it is a crime scene and they will keep it closed for however long it takes. This will mean sometimes a three hour wait for someone to come along and take very detailed measurements to prepare drawing. Taking these measurements can sometimes take another four hours!!!!!

Why not use a digital, calibrated camera and take 'hundreds' of pictures from a helicopter?? :mad: In the 21st century we now have technology that will convert these pictures or even take them in 3D. Taking pictures from an exact height will allow measurements to be taken, I accept that road surface tests, braking test might still need to be carried out, but these are sometimes carried out days after the incident?

The arguement that tests have to be carried out straight away is laughable, our country can have rain, snow or even sunshine all within the time the road is closed for these tests!!! No way can anyone argue the tests were carried out in the same conditions. :mad: :mad:

Road rage, road rage. Vehicles that get diverted off this trunk route simply get 'lost' in the wilds of Devon causing absolute chaos and mayhem on our minor roads and in our small villages.

In Devon there is one main trunk route** which allows access through the county into and from Cornwall, it is not uncommon for this road to be closed for sixteen hours simply because two cars have collided and one person was seriously injured. Sixteen hours is crazy, indeed this year it has even managed a 24 hour closure, no doubt someone is already planning how they will beat that record.

John the rant

** There is the smaller, narrower A30, but this is a secondary route that caters for traffic that wants to access the northern regions of both counties.

You're talking about the A38 :) I've spent many an hour trawling up and down that particular piece of highway.

Have they still got the god forsaken miles of cones around Buckfastleigh with absolutely no work progressing or has that finished now?

Rose Chap said:
Have they still got the god forsaken miles of cones around Buckfastleigh with absolutely no work progressing or has that finished now?

:D :D Just, but only just removed :) (Beginning of this week)

John

I would throw the gauntlet down and challenge anyone to better Essex Police.

I know they have a job to do and sort of appreciate the crime scene angle - but a van dinging the central res no injuries and no others involved does not warrant closing the M25 for about an hour. Tow the *&&^% wreck off the road and get on with it.

That having been said, I would not want to muck about in the outside lane protected by a few cones only - there are more than enough nutters out there careering out of control as they rubberneck the scene at fifty odd mph..

this is not how bad police are on road closures with accidents but just how they are plain bad in general. How can they justify giving someone 4 points on their license for going through the middle of two speed humps. (by the way it was me they gave the points too).:mad:

illidan said:
this is not how bad police are on road closures with accidents but just how they are plain bad in general.

Oiii this is my thread :D It is about blinking road closures.... so there:p :)

John

but you have got to admit, the police are getting worse when it comes to traffic.

maldon said:
I would throw the gauntlet down and challenge anyone to better Essex Police.

I know they have a job to do and sort of appreciate the crime scene angle - but a van dinging the central res no injuries and no others involved does not warrant closing the M25 for about an hour. Tow the *&&^% wreck off the road and get on with it.

That having been said, I would not want to muck about in the outside lane protected by a few cones only - there are more than enough nutters out there careering out of control as they rubberneck the scene at fifty odd mph..

Crikeys,
That is excellent service. The van would have to be removed, the road would have to be swept clean, plus the central reservation would have to be inspected. All within an hour :bannana: The joy of having a motorway is the fact that you MUST have a secondary route to take traffic in the event of a closure? The M5 has the.............. Yup you've guessed, the A38 as its relief road, but down here the M5 ends at Exeter and simply becomes the A38. This road then goes into Cornwall without any back-up road. (The tip of Cornwall to Exeter, is a similar distance as Exeter to London :rolleyes: )

John

illidan said:
but you have got to admit, the police are getting worse when it comes to traffic.

Hmmmm I personally believe we are seeing fewer officers patrolling our roads and actually reporting offenders, but I get the feeling that is not your question.

You have received four penalty points, no one likes being caught, but if we had more officers patrolling our roads, then I would suggest we would hear more complaints?

It is fashionable to criticise the Police and I'm sure some of the criticism is deserved, but what is the alternative???

John

llewellynd said:
Is Plodd responsible for formulating the UK police traffic policy?

Probably not, but its highly likely he has a better understanding of current UK Traffic Policing policy than any of the rest of us.

illidan said:
this is not how bad police are on road closures with accidents but just how they are plain bad in general. How can they justify giving someone 4 points on their license for going through the middle of two speed humps. (by the way it was me they gave the points too).:mad:

cant believe that one! I have to do this just to avoid grounding the car!!

Alps said:
cant believe that one! I have to do this just to avoid grounding the car!!
I think they only get upset if you don't slow down ;)

I was talking to a guy that was busted for driving across the middle of a tiny painted roundabout in the centre of Rochdale at about 1am. Sounds innocent at first (I'm sure we all do it when no-one is around) but he was doing about 50mph in a 20mph zone ;)

llewellynd said:
Is Plodd responsible for formulating the UK police traffic policy?

He is someone whose opinion on certain issues I respect, and hopefully he may reply. He is NOT in charge of formulating policy and has no influence in altering it.

The closure of highways has always occured but it was only in the most serious of fatal incidents where serious charges would be laid against the offending driver. These closures were nowhere near as long as those I have talked about and we are seeing main trunk routes closed for extended periods simply because the ambulance crew state that injuries are serious. I get the feeling that officers nowadays are frightened to make any type of decision that needs them to take responsibility. It is easier to close the road, take as many details are possible and tough on the motorist.

Sixteen or twenty four hours for straight forward:rolleyes: fatal incident seems excessive??? For a non fatal incident it seems OTT

John

glojo said:
The tip of Cornwall to Exeter, is a similar distance as Exeter to London :rolleyes:

John

Not quite ......:p

London to Exeter - 173.6 miles

Exeter to Lands End - 119.6 miles

I know this because i once put 38000 miles on my car in one year when i was going out with a girl from Cornwall .... :crazy:

SportsCoupeRich said:
cough *mug* cough ;) :) :crazy: :D

hope she was gorgeous!!!!!

She was ok ...... she's not the one i'm married to now, put it that way ... ;)

Howard said:
Not quite ......:p

Whoops Lucky I said similar and not 'exact' :) The roundabouts are obviously getting bigger.

Still a blinking long way though :eek:

Take care,
John

It looks like Cambridgeshire Police have the right idea:

LASER WORK ON THE A14

Released: 22/03/2006 11:01:54

A SECTION of the A14 will be laser scanned as officers work to reduce congestion on the road during collisions.
The survey, carried out by Reality Mapping, will scan both carriageways of the A14 between Trinity Foot and Bar Hill, to create 3D maps.

PC Steve Edwards, of the Road Policing Unit, said: "The aim of this process is to create a 3D map that can be used by collision investigators and partner agencies.

"From a policing perspective it means officers at the scenes of serious and fatal collisions will no longer have to measure the road, a process that is time consuming.

"The A14 is an extremely busy road and Cambridgeshire Constabulary is committed to trying to reduce congestion and ensuring the safety of those who use the roads.

"We regularly hold road safety operations on the road and this survey will form part of ongoing work on the A14."

The laser scanning process works by the equipment being fixed to a vehicle that will then travel at 50mph along the carriageway scanning the road.

The force helicopter will follow the vehicle filming the survey for a presentation at the Collision Investigators Conference in May.

PC Edwards added: "This survey has the potential to reduce congestion on the A14 following serious or fatal collisions.

"There will be times when congestion cannot be reduced, as a collision involving a lorry will always take longer to clear. However, we see this survey as a step in the right direction."

Simon said:
A SECTION of the A14 will be laser scanned as officers work to reduce congestion on the road during collisions.
"The A14 is an extremely busy road and Cambridgeshire Constabulary is committed to trying to reduce congestion and ensuring the safety of those who use the roads.

Weird or what?
That is an excellent idea. If memory serves me correctly (highly unlikely) the A14 is a major route that goes right through Cambridgeshire?

Hopefully this will be present at the necessary seminars and other forces will take note.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom